The gear thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

gregwar

Re: The gear thread.

Post by gregwar »

this new layout is quite different but ok, maybe i’ll try the other colours

i’ve made a few tracks with the BARP and really love it so far. i just realized i can probably bypass the filer with a triangle and still use the resonance to keep the low end…

i grabbed the ni k13 CE upgrade last week since it’s 50% off. i think i had k11 CE? all in all like 45 ish new (to me) products and very exciting

i haven’t bought cables in like 5+ years and ordered a laundry list of stuff i wanted from perfect circuit

everything will be able to be patched in all the time, some 3.5mm for the BARP, midi, a nice warm audio cable for my bass guitar and holy f*ck i forgot how much they cost! lol

now i must resist teh G.A.S. for the behr RD-9 i will tell myself it will need cables lol
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Post by MetroSonus »

Sounds nice. Also sounds like it's competing with the VST libraries out there. I'm really surprised though how few controls there are on it for a workstation. I know it pulls up behind the Krome, but compared to other similar keyboards, it has so few. It feels weird not to even see a drum pad, 8 sliders on it and so on.

The specs are comparable to other similar boards, but the price for the 61 is $2K US, so the loss of controls may be the reason for the lower price.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

MetroSonus wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:05 pm

Sounds nice. Also sounds like it's competing with the VST libraries out there. I'm really surprised though how few controls there are on it for a workstation. I know it pulls up behind the Krome, but compared to other similar keyboards, it has so few. It feels weird not to even see a drum pad, 8 sliders on it and so on.

The specs are comparable to other similar boards, but the price for the 61 is $2K US, so the loss of controls may be the reason for the lower price.
Maybe it assumes you're doing all the editing from a computer?
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

synapse audio obsession (OBX emulation) is out.

Also, for korg legacy collection, they have now released a Prophecy vst..

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/kc_prophecy/

Also beware that you'll need to migrate over your old KLC license from korgusers.net to a korg.com account now.
gregwar

Post by gregwar »

was just going to post about this but you beat me to it!

the whole KORG Collection 3 looks amazing

:bounce:
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

christianrock wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:14 pm

Maybe it assumes you're doing all the editing from a computer?
I guess.. I'm just not really getting the perspective on this one. It's expensive, lack of controls, seems loaded with VST-esque sound packs for games and movies and then you probably do need a computer to edit it.

It's kind of like the electribe two. the sequencer is difficult to use and most of the functionality was based around exporting everything to Ableton Live clips.

I guess I want to know is anyone actually buying these things? It seems like they aren't sure what they want to be, hardware or not?
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

gregwar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:55 pm was just going to post about this but you beat me to it!

the whole KORG Collection 3 looks amazing

:bounce:

ha ha! I need to start making some purchases, but I'm very happy between Roland and Korg for offering full versions of their synths in virtual form. :bounce:
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

Found these vids from knobcon, which I guess happened a week or so ago? From over at GS. Lots of performances, gear demos and people talking gear!

topcat

Post by topcat »

what could be more fun and exciting than a room full of synth nerds, all twirling filter cutoff and resonance knobs at the same time,at full volume. So loud that even with headphones on the neighbors are banging on the walls screaming "turn it down turds!!!". :lol:
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

topcat wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:46 pm what could be more fun and exciting than a room full of synth nerds, all twirling filter cutoff and resonance knobs at the same time,at full volume. So loud that even with headphones on the neighbors are banging on the walls screaming "turn it down turds!!!". :lol:
absolutely nothing!!

I imagine it'd be like that and also like

replace dr who with D&D, synth workshops, and so on :lol:
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/fb7999.html

I don't know if any of you guys are korg heads like I am, but I really like their poly 800. Full bucket music just released a free dw 6000 / 8000 VST and it's pretty good. I am really enjoying it. I only played it for a bit last night, but it is really cool.. I'm so glad someone finally did this

They seem to have just about every korg emulation possible too now! They have some really good free stuff too, check them out!
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

Roland JD800 VS Cloud JD800
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

Tv electronic Juno 60 chorus pedal $69 (tee hee)
gregwar

Post by gregwar »

I finally bought a maschine mk3. I've been waffling for years and decided to pull the trigger on Friday.

I had some bad setup issues where the plugin scan failed multiple times, it took a couple very frustrating days to sort it out and run the scan all the way through :head:

I did a fresh install I think 2 years ago, realized a new version of Mac OS was coming out nowish so I downloaded the year old one Mac OS 11 big sur. my thinking was it had a year to mature and I didn't want the brand new one (Monterey) since it would probably break a bunch of stuff.

I made a list of all the manufacturers that I had updated (most of them) and then tried to run the maschine 2 software stand alone and it kept crashing during the plug-in scan. So I downloaded all the updates from Arturia, Softube, Soundtoys, plugin alliance, uad, waves, Roland cloud, etc. and after a few more tries I was able to launch maschine 2

I'm still pretty excited since it was really easy today during lunch to dial in a bass drum, snare, and customize them using the drum synth. I'm going to have a learning curve but my idea was to bring headphones, laptop, maschine mk3, and external ssd to the couch and whenever I'm watching tv try to make a loop or learn a new function.

Since I have Komplete 13 collector's edition there are so many samples and kits I'm a bit overwhelmed lol but Im hoping I can quickly demo tons of stuff until I'm happy and then just bash out some loops/beats
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

MetroSonus wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:28 pm Image

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/fb7999.html

I don't know if any of you guys are korg heads like I am, but I really like their poly 800. Full bucket music just released a free dw 6000 / 8000 VST and it's pretty good. I am really enjoying it. I only played it for a bit last night, but it is really cool.. I'm so glad someone finally did this

They seem to have just about every korg emulation possible too now! They have some really good free stuff too, check them out!
I heard a couple of demos and while the sound is cool, the low end "oomph" (for lack of a better word) of the filter is kind of lacking... it might be just a matter of boosting certain frequencies as Greg was saying about his Jupiter emulation software...

I really need to fix my DW8000 and my EX-8000 (yes I liked the EX-8000 so much I bought the keyboard). Both just need a new battery and the DW8000 needs a full keybed cleanup.
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

nobody:

Guy on the internet: controls fb-7999 with wind controller.

MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

This little guy is pretty cool. Years ago, I had tons of soundblasters that were pulled from gateways sitting in a storage room at work. I wanted to pull the FM chips and do DIY synths with them, but it never happened. Just not my forte, but I always loved the sound. I believe it's the same chip or close that's in the sega genesis.

Twisted Electrons has introduced BlastBeats, a hardware groovebox, based on a vintage FM chip, YMF-262, found in computer sound cards of the early 90s.

“These chips were notoriously hard to program and were rarely used to their full potential,” they note. “However, they can produce surprisingly rich beautiful and utterly dirty sounds with a bit of exploring…”

BlastBeats is a 10-voice groove box, offering 6 drum voices and 4 synth instruments. It features lots of hardware controls, to give you immediate tactile control over the parameters of the instruments.

Features:

OPL3 (YMF262) FM chip featured in vintage sound blaster cards of the MS-DOS era
Quad audio outputs with custom instrument routing
High fidelity audio amplification with low noise floor
mix and phones out each with volume control
6 drum tracks (bass drum, snare drum, tom, closed & open hat, cymbal) that can also be used for melodic parts.
4 synth tracks: two monophonic (2x2op or 1x4op) & two duo-phonic (4x2op or 2x4op)
100 kits
160 songs x 16 patterns x 64 steps
patterns of of arbitrary step lengths
Kits and patterns stored on included SD card for convenient management and sharing.
56 faders with per step automation and modulation
32 high quality illuminated switches
MIDI input and output on DIN5 ports
customizable MIDI input channels
Analog sync in and out on 3.5mm jacks
All Audio on 6.35mm jacks
Premium sandblasted anodised aluminum chassis
All instruments can be sequenced internally or played via MIDI allowing BlastBeats to be used as a 4-operator 8-waveform polytimbral MIDI synthesizer
Probability per instrument
Swing
Kit and pattern randomiser
Fader wiggling (randomiser with adjustable depth) per step
3 tricks ( pitch bend aka spin down, freeze and stutter with step sequencing of all tricks.
Synth pitch vibrato and tremolo with adjustable speed and depth
Several waveforms and algorithms yielding infinite sound textures.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Post by Purity_Control »

MetroSonus wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:56 pm This little guy is pretty cool. Years ago, I had tons of soundblasters that were pulled from gateways sitting in a storage room at work. I wanted to pull the FM chips and do DIY synths with them, but it never happened. Just not my forte, but I always loved the sound. I believe it's the same chip or close that's in the sega genesis.

Twisted Electrons has introduced BlastBeats, a hardware groovebox, based on a vintage FM chip, YMF-262, found in computer sound cards of the early 90s.

“These chips were notoriously hard to program and were rarely used to their full potential,” they note. “However, they can produce surprisingly rich beautiful and utterly dirty sounds with a bit of exploring…”

BlastBeats is a 10-voice groove box, offering 6 drum voices and 4 synth instruments. It features lots of hardware controls, to give you immediate tactile control over the parameters of the instruments.

Features:

OPL3 (YMF262) FM chip featured in vintage sound blaster cards of the MS-DOS era
Quad audio outputs with custom instrument routing
High fidelity audio amplification with low noise floor
mix and phones out each with volume control
6 drum tracks (bass drum, snare drum, tom, closed & open hat, cymbal) that can also be used for melodic parts.
4 synth tracks: two monophonic (2x2op or 1x4op) & two duo-phonic (4x2op or 2x4op)
100 kits
160 songs x 16 patterns x 64 steps
patterns of of arbitrary step lengths
Kits and patterns stored on included SD card for convenient management and sharing.
56 faders with per step automation and modulation
32 high quality illuminated switches
MIDI input and output on DIN5 ports
customizable MIDI input channels
Analog sync in and out on 3.5mm jacks
All Audio on 6.35mm jacks
Premium sandblasted anodised aluminum chassis
All instruments can be sequenced internally or played via MIDI allowing BlastBeats to be used as a 4-operator 8-waveform polytimbral MIDI synthesizer
Probability per instrument
Swing
Kit and pattern randomiser
Fader wiggling (randomiser with adjustable depth) per step
3 tricks ( pitch bend aka spin down, freeze and stutter with step sequencing of all tricks.
Synth pitch vibrato and tremolo with adjustable speed and depth
Several waveforms and algorithms yielding infinite sound textures.
I'm glad they've built a decent front end for this, the AY3 is a pita to program and quite couterintuitive.

Which reminds me... I need to get back in the studio. Been cleaning and tidying up there over Christmas so think I'm about to manage it.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
gregwar

Post by gregwar »

Well I finally scored a toft tab 24 after wanting one for 15 years!

Teh gear spacers have consistently crapped on this mixer and mine is an early model. So when I initially went to the guys studio to buy it I got cold feet and left even though each channel was pretty clean sounding, etc. I emailed the company and their revisions were not as crazy as some people seem to claim on teh spacerz, they upgraded the outputs to balanced, they added an led for solo, etc. So I decided to go for it. the price was right for me and I don't know when I will ever get another chance to own one!

Anyways, I got it all hooked up over my brief xmas break and and its about 80% of the way there. I'm using it as a front end for my synths and to route signals around and plan to mix 100% in the box. I still need a db25 trs connector for my second planet waves snake so I can get 8 channels out of the daw to the mixer for eq. Other than that its been fun layering the v-synth gt with the barp grey meanie, trying out different patches and combinations.

I also got a Moog Werkstatt as a gift with the expander and am hoping to hook that up to the barp for teh phat basses. Apparently the core sound of the Werkstatt is similar to the mother 32, which is like 4x more expensive! the features are super limited but I just wanted a fourth osc to patch into the barp and/or to run the barp through the Moog filter. The Werkstatt osc sounds really huge and the filter is actually really nice its just hard to tune it so I've been using logic's pitch correction if it drifts in and out (ok for some stuff but not for certain bass sounds imo). Thonk sells a knob upgrade kit so I'll probably get that because the knobs are tiny :lol:
topcat

Post by topcat »

Looks like a beauty and the wood is gorgeous...does that make it sound warmer? ;)