The gear thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

soundwave106

Re: The gear thread.

Post by soundwave106 »

MetroSonus wrote:However.. I've always wondered why nobody has said that about the DX7? To me, it has a similar glassy, bright sound that's similar to the D-50 and is instantly as identifiable. But I don't recall people having the same "it doesn't sit well" arguments.
It might be the FX layer that is the deal? The DX7 has none by default. So maybe disabling the D-50 FX and then running it through some modern plugins would help it blend better?

(Although, I rarely use DX7 sounds either in spite of the open source DX7 plugin on my computer, so... :idk: )
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Post by MetroSonus »

Maybe when I get the plugin I'll try it out :lol: the issue with the jd is all filter though lol.

Do you have dexxed? What do you think if it?
soundwave106

Post by soundwave106 »

MetroSonus wrote:Do you have dexxed? What do you think if it?
Dexed sounds enough like a DX7 to me! Though I've never had one so I can't say for sure. (I've had a DX27 in the past though) A VST also is much easier to program as well compared to those 2 line LCD screens.

But, as I said, I don't seem to use it all that much. :idk: Occasionally I've used it for "klangy" FM type sound or some primitive FM-y bells or whatnot.
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

If anyone ever wanted to know what over an hour of morpheus sounds sounds like, nows your chance :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

Back when I had the D-550 I also thought that it never mixed in well with other instruments in a mix. Which is the main reason why I sold it. And the JD-990.
Plus, they didn't have a shit ton of knobs.
The DW8000 by comparison (and they shouldn't really be compared) sits very well in a mix as far as the synth sounds go (I should to get mine fixed...)
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

I like Prophets.

topcat

Post by topcat »

This would fit perfectly in a rock song. Is this Prophet the reissue Clav?
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

topcat wrote:This would fit perfectly in a rock song. Is this Prophet the reissue Clav?

It is and it’s very nice. I used to have a Prophet 10 and the new keybed is way better.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Post by Purity_Control »

ClavAnother wrote:I like Prophets.

Sweet. :thu:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

Sweet indeed. Plus Clav's jamming makes it all sound better as usual.
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

:smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

After years of selling all my nicer guitars to pay bills and keeping the (good quality) franken-guitars, I finally went ahead and bought me a new, good quality guitar... despite being Chinese, which of course makes it cheaper. But a one-piece mahogany body with a decently sized quilted maple top, one piece lightly roasted neck with a Bolivian rosewood fingerboard (similar to Brazilian rosewood) and good quality pickups and electronics for 699 shipped? Sign me up :lol:

It's a Brazilian brand by the way - Tagima - so it was designed by Marcio Zaganin to be basically a more versatile Suhr-looking guitar (I prefer the mahogany/maple body combination anyway). And the 4 colors on the body are the Brazilian flag colors - white, blue, green and yellow. It's the only model I saw with these colors so I had to snap it up :)

It's supposed to be my main guitar going forward only because my frankenstrat has a fixed bridge. Otherwise, I love that guitar, which has an 80s ESP 60s Reissue body and a hand-made quartersawn maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard (not a perfectly made or dressed neck but it sounds great).
topcat

Post by topcat »

WOW!!! this guitar is beautiful CR!! love the colors, she's a real beauty! Congrats! :love:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

topcat wrote:WOW!!! this guitar is beautiful CR!! love the colors, she's a real beauty! Congrats! :love:
Yeah it's the "Suhr copy" a lot of manufacturers are attempting to do now, including Ibanez with their AZ series. There's some nice affordable Schecters as well including the Nick Johnston and Van Nuys models. But this is the only one I could find - other than VERY expensive Suhr custom ordered guitars, that had this superstrat configuration with mahogany back and quilted maple top. The 1-piece body and Brazilian flag colors were just the icing on the cake :)

Here's the back of the actual guitar from the seller's website.

The tuners look vintage but you can see in the back that they are actually locking tuners. Quite nice.

They also sent me closer look cell phone pictures of the body, so I made sure this one is the 1-piece body. I think only the first few were, the ones coming out now are a 2-piece body. Which technically is no different - but I'd like to finally say I have a one piece body mahogany guitar, I played a PRS like that many years ago and always thought of it as the ultimate "posh" guitar feature. They are entering the US market so it makes sense that they wanted to turn some heads with the first guitars they shipped... haven't ever head of these features at this price, even with Chinese made guitars.

UPS says it's in a truck, an exit down from my house...
gregwar

Post by gregwar »

my 2600 gray meanie came in the mail yesterday after waiting a while

so far I like the sound of it. I checked out a lot of comparison videos and I don't think the "upgraded components" make a huge difference but I have been using the spring reverb a lot and as my first real spring verb its probably being over used lol

I haven't heard a huge difference between the two filter types and both really rob the bottom end when you turn up the resonance

I don't have proper cables for it yet (total oversight on my part when my preorder became available :facepalm:) so I'm going to order some but I have been patching it with misc 1/8" cables laying around

I'll try to post some demos in the future but I'm really terrible at making those lol
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

gregwar wrote:my 2600 gray meanie came in the mail yesterday after waiting a while

When I see a knobby synth like that...

topcat

Post by topcat »

gregwar wrote:my 2600 gray meanie came in the mail yesterday after waiting a while

so far I like the sound of it. I checked out a lot of comparison videos and I don't think the "upgraded components" make a huge difference but I have been using the spring reverb a lot and as my first real spring verb its probably being over used lol

I haven't heard a huge difference between the two filter types and both really rob the bottom end when you turn up the resonance

I don't have proper cables for it yet (total oversight on my part when my preorder became available :facepalm:) so I'm going to order some but I have been patching it with misc 1/8" cables laying around

I'll try to post some demos in the future but I'm really terrible at making those lol
I was lusting after one of these, well the regular version Behringer is selling, but I thought the true spring reverb would be worth getting one of these.
I also watched some comparison videos and one guy had it on a scope and compared it with the regular version and there definitely was a difference in the filter between the regular and limited edition. But whether that translates to the human ear or not, I can't say.

I'm happy with my Korg slim key Odyssey and I just bought the Cherry Audio software version of the 2600 and I love the virtual cables. lol

Have fun and let us hear some of the sounds you come up with it.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Post by Purity_Control »

Wow! I had no idea this was out... I live uner a rock these days.

Are the sliders also LEDs? Or is that just the light?

How do you find it handles for being smaller scale than the original? That's a lot of sliderage in a small space.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
gregwar

Post by gregwar »

the sliders are leds and i got the gray meanie mostly so they were all the same colour (the xmas tree one is very ugly in my eyes). there’s a knob on the back for led brightness and it can be turned all the way off or super bright red

there was a brief moment when i thought i might have made a mistake, since the leds are all the same it was hard to tell what everything did but after 20 mins and the arp patch book i figured out the basic layout

my last purchase was the roland boutique jp08 and the slider travel on the meanie is way longer and more precise. i love doing cross mod on the jp08 (sort of like osc fm) and i gave up and made a midi template on my novation for full size knobs :facepalm:

on the arp i had the preamp at 100x and was dialing in some feedback and felt i could get pretty precise, the tuning is fairly easy to do with logic’s built in one and the coarse and fine tuning sliders. it’s been a long time since i had to manually tune a synth like that…
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

Amazing score man! I think we all have a jealous.

yes, post videos. Post haste. or sound cloud?

I just got my Korg SQ64. Haven't spent much time with it, but the wait was about a year? Waits are long for many reasons on things right now.