The gear thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

ClavAnother

Re: The gear thread.

Post by ClavAnother »

MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Post by MetroSonus »

So you have a prophet 605 now?

:clap:

Damn though.. something to be said for the real gear. :thu:
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

Yeah man. The new Prophet 5 really is the real thing. It’s a lot like the new miniMoog that way. All the old stuff plus I nice amount of new features. The double chipset is super great.
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

Korg FM.. say wut nao? Read through Korg's website.. it's an interesting read. Lots of variations on the traditional FM models and it's 800$ US.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/opsix/

True 6-operator FM synthesis, and more
Makes FM exploration easier than ever
Maximum polyphony: 32 voices
Easy-to-use 6-fader operator mixer
Full editing with the Data Entry rotary encoders
5 operator modes (FM, Ring Mod., Filter, Filter FM, Wave Folder)
40 preset algorithms and user algorithms
250 factory presets, 250 user presets
21 oscillator waveforms
3 EGs, 3 LFOs, and 12 virtual patches for versatile modulation
11 powerful filters, including MS-20 and Polysix
30 types of high-definition effects in 3 categories
Visual editing with spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope
Powerful 16-step polyphonic sequencer; 7-pattern arpeggiator
Add unpredictability to sounds with Randomize feature
Favorite and smooth sound transition (SST) functions
3-octave keyboard (velocity and release-velocity sensitive)
Pitchbend and Modulation wheels; Damper pedal jack
MIDI I/O; USB B port; 6.3mm stereo Headphone jack
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

I didn't think the behringer 2600 was out yet? :idk:

soundwave106

Post by soundwave106 »

MetroSonus wrote:I didn't think the behringer 2600 was out yet? :idk:

Looks like it's available at Sweetwater.
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

I'm sure you guys know too.. from behringer on FB

Here is is our first VCS3 prototype - alive and in color!
While the circuitry is all analog and based on the original, you can see that we've added many more functions in cooperation with an expert VCS modder from the UK. Also the internal design has been completely reengineered to adapt to modern manufacturing processes.
Some of you asked if it has a mechanical spring reverb and also real wood; the answer is a clear "yes".
The next step is for our engineers to "trouble shoot' the unit in conjunction with our expert partner and additional beta testers, who are lucky enough to own an original unit.
Please remember that this is our first prototype and it will take much more time to complete the unit, however we feel confident that will ship the VCS3 within this year.
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

soundwave106 wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:I didn't think the behringer 2600 was out yet? :idk:

Looks like it's available at Sweetwater.
Not a huge 2600 fan, so I'm not totally to blame that it went over my head, but online people talked about it like it still wasn't out yet :idk:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Post by Purity_Control »

MetroSonus wrote:I'm sure you guys know too.. from behringer on FB

Here is is our first VCS3 prototype - alive and in color!
While the circuitry is all analog and based on the original, you can see that we've added many more functions in cooperation with an expert VCS modder from the UK. Also the internal design has been completely reengineered to adapt to modern manufacturing processes.
Some of you asked if it has a mechanical spring reverb and also real wood; the answer is a clear "yes".
The next step is for our engineers to "trouble shoot' the unit in conjunction with our expert partner and additional beta testers, who are lucky enough to own an original unit.
Please remember that this is our first prototype and it will take much more time to complete the unit, however we feel confident that will ship the VCS3 within this year.
Wow! Now that would impress me, I just hope they haven't diddified it too much, don't think this was a crazy larger unit to begin with.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

its supposes to be 1:1 with the original.
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

Korg NAAM 2021 Live Stream, new gear.

Korg Drumlogue

gregwar

Post by gregwar »

I pre-ordered a Gray Meanie. I haven't bought any gear since my jp-08 which was a few years go. I have bought tons of software though, especially from plugin alliance :love:

metrar are u pumped about the Korg modwave? If I remember right you were pretty into the dw-8000

:jam:

this looks pretty cool too:

I forgot they were making this but was seriously lusting after the desktop prophet 5/10 but those are way out of my budget

:like:
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

MetroSonus wrote:
soundwave106 wrote:
MetroSonus wrote: Not a huge 2600 fan :idk:
I’m really sorry but this just sounds like the kind of thing someone that never used one would say. It’s the best synth there is.
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

I've never used it, but I've heard plenty of demos. It's ... Ok? Spending time with one could change my mind.. not going to say no.

**edit.. well the behringer demos sound pretty cool. Sounds like a ballsy synth..
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

MetroSonus wrote:I've never used it, but I've heard plenty of demos. It's ... Ok? Spending time with one could change my mind.. not going to say no.

**edit.. well the behringer demos sound pretty cool. Sounds like a ballsy synth..

Yeah, like it definitely has a sort of characteristic sound, but also it basically can do anything. But a lot of it is the interface. It’s kind of the perfect synth to actually use. But give it a try, they beh is probably pretty awesome.
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

gregwar wrote:

I pre-ordered a Gray Meanie.
:like:

That’s cool that they put the extra waveforms on vco 3. Hopefully they did some of the other mods as well. Really makes it even better.

Post some vids when you get it
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

So I started playing around with the Roland cloud JD-800 last night. I did a quick little (typical for me) space drone, which is the link below. I like it so far, but... I'm really curious how it sounds compared to the original. A couple things I found out, from the thread @ KVR, it seems like the roland cloud and zenology may actually be a different company brought on board by roland.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CL-tNnolcT ... hare_sheet

I had reservations myself about why roland would suddenly pull hard to the right and be offering a completely new topology away from their already established ACB, plug out system. My fear was (and seems to be confirmed) that the zenology stuff is just a base engine with skin changes for each instrument, kinda like all of the kontakt stuff. I've been told by some users on facebook, there's a few tweaks that go on underneath to make them more "lifelike".

But really, the JD800 is a digital synth.. are we gonna split hairs? It's not like it's the juipter 8.. :lol: I was really interested to read Don Solaris' comments below, I figured he was gonna pop up somewhere on a JD-800 search, knowing his love of the JD an old romplers in general.

Interestingly, his opinion has really changed over the years. He seems to look not so kindly on older tech as he used to. Anyway, as you may have been able to have heard in my own demo, the filter was really hard to reign in; the lightest tweaks immediately sent it into overdrive. But.. I thought it still sounded cool. Don does note that below too, so I wonder ho far off the VST here is from the original. I may have to hit him up on GS; I'd love to hear his opinion.

Once I got the hang of the UI, it's as easy to use as any other VST. The biggest issue to me is the lack of "modern" oscillator options: detune, pulse width and some others things. It feels a little primitive compared to modern synths, but hey, so does the M1 / Wavestation etc.

But.. how does it sound compared to the original? I threw in Paolo's own demo below, if you want to compare to Roland's Soundcloud demo. I'd b curious to compare the VST back to back with Paolo's though.

http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=404

I've had my JD800 since Roland blew them out in the late 90s. As the site above points out it's easy to distort the JD800 filter and when you do it sounds like shit. When you don't it still sounds like shit, at least by today's standards. While some people may go on and on about small details or about the absence of sample compression. None of that is why I bought a JD800 or anyone else I knew who was doing live techno at the time purchased a JD800.

The big win with the JD800 is that it is a rompler with a shit ton of knobs. The effects were good for the time, but still, just palesauce in contrast to it was a rompler with a shit ton of knobs.

Because of that, a lot of famous live acts used them and they have obtained something of a cult status. They sounded fine for the time, they are still usable, but even then they were still a rompler who's basic sound quality was quickly dated owing to the rom size limitations. I remember thinking that my K2KR completely blew it away in most respects, except, of course, that it did not have a shit ton of knobs.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=465
soundwave106

Post by soundwave106 »

MetroSonus wrote:Interestingly, his opinion has really changed over the years. He seems to look not so kindly on older tech as he used to.
What I've unfortunately found with my D-50 is that while it sounds nice on its own, if you plop it next to something like Omnisphere, it just sounds... I don't know, kind of out of place? Occasionally it will "sound right" and some abusing of the primitive digital effects and aliasing and weird filter etc. can be spiffy (the D-50 can drone kind of like your JD-800 plugin did, different but similar). But the new digital stuff sounds smoother and has more depth to me, and mixing the two types of sounds just doesn't work to my ears more often then not.

I've played a JD-800 only a couple of times. While I thought it sounded real nice, I wonder if it will have the same problem.
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

I.. can.. totally see that. There's a part of me that want's to be like "no, any creative musician can get it to work". I've heard people say things like that over the years, I've just never had first hand experience.. but I get it.

The drone I did was just one patch. The higher keys parts was simply just another part, under the same patch. But, I had a difficult time getting it to sit right. It's not 100% JD-800, I had to put on a fair amount of limiting ala the korg MDEX plugin. But :idk: I get it. there's something in the sound that makes it hard to play well with others.

However.. I've always wondered why nobody has said that about the DX7? To me, it has a similar glassy, bright sound that's similar to the D-50 and is instantly as identifiable. But I don't recall people having the same "it doesn't sit well" arguments.
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

D50 and dx7 don’t have a shit ton of knobs