The gear thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

gregwar

Re: The gear demo thread.

Post by gregwar »

Has anyone used east west play at all recently?

I have an old ilok 1 dongle with licenses for platinum strings, brass, perc, and woodwinds so I downloaded the installer and got everything working.

I stopped using those (pretty expensive) libraries b/c play was not great and the Kontakt versions were no longer supported.

anyways, with my brief experience with play 6 I was pretty impressed! the effects section is pretty great with an amp simulator, SSL channel strip, ohmicide, and convo reverb.

the browser was pretty snappy (libraries were installed on an ssd) and everything was not super annoying to get setup.

:like:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

gregwar wrote:Has anyone used east west play at all recently?

I have an old ilok 1 dongle with licenses for platinum strings, brass, perc, and woodwinds so I downloaded the installer and got everything working.

I stopped using those (pretty expensive) libraries b/c play was not great and the Kontakt versions were no longer supported.

anyways, with my brief experience with play 6 I was pretty impressed! the effects section is pretty great with an amp simulator, SSL channel strip, ohmicide, and convo reverb.

the browser was pretty snappy (libraries were installed on an ssd) and everything was not super annoying to get setup.

:like:
I see EW Play 6 is free now... all libraries are free?? Or just some?
gregwar

Post by gregwar »

I'm not sure, I paid $$$ for my licenses back in 2008?

I noticed they have a composer cloud subscription service that was 60% off, that does seem like a lot of stuff to download for a subscription service...

I'm also trying out the new logic 10.5 with Ableton Live-style grid/loops. so far its ok I guess, the new sampler and drum machines are pretty great!

I also want to try out the new step sequencers apparently those have been massively overhauled...

:drink:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Post by MetroSonus »

I wasn't thrilled with what I heard on EW.. just a lot of GM style banks.. I mean, if that's for you and what you were asking about, all the more power to ya :)

I'll throw in too that the Korg Triton VST with all the expansions is only 200$. I'm more of a full synth ROMpler guy anyway and I can't see having 200$ in each specific VST. but that's just me.. YMMV :wave:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Re: Random gear pron

Post by Purity_Control »

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

Purity_Control wrote:
Now that is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. Extremely musical. Super :jam:

I guess it's not on sale yet?
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Post by Purity_Control »

AFAIK that's the first prototype.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
MetroSonus

New Gear Thread

Post by MetroSonus »

I figured I / we needed a thread for what's new and out there.. if anyone is still into gears.. I'm kinda getting back to a point where I can has synth again, so why not.

I'll start off.. this really, really caught my eye. It does pretty much what you would expect it to.. much like Arturia's "step" products. Although this has Korg's particular flavor to it and it has two midi outs and one in, aside from all of the other analog outputs.

I really, really preferred Korg's electribe style sequencing to all of the others out there and I'm hoping.. fingers crossed, this retains a lot of the fun of them. If nothing else, i like that it's cleanly laid out in 1/16 steps that don't need to be divided up or down by note value. I've always found that easier to work with and that's also why I never really got on with other sequencers, at least for beat box style working.

This kind of looks like what I've been wanting for a while. supposed street of 299$.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: New Gear Thread

Post by christianrock »

A minute into it and the guy has ran out of compliments to drool about this sequencer.

It does sound really good on paper. But I won't be able to watch the 47 minutes at once...

Korg seems to have a winnar out there!
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

I'm willing to give it a shot.. I really liked the EMX2.. but the sequencer sucked. The sounds on it were amazing, but they really dropped the ball on that one. It just didn't have the playability from the electribes. I think they put it out before the whole analog, beat box redux craze that happened. They were aiming with it more to apply to people who wanted to import the patterns into live and now the market went the other way and people want to be free from the computer.

Hey.. if this does it, I can see buying another EMX2 used or something and controlling a lot of gear with it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

MetroSonus wrote:I'm willing to give it a shot.. I really liked the EMX2.. but the sequencer sucked. The sounds on it were amazing, but they really dropped the ball on that one. It just didn't have the playability from the electribes. I think they put it out before the whole analog, beat box redux craze that happened. They were aiming with it more to apply to people who wanted to import the patterns into live and now the market went the other way and people want to be free from the computer.

Hey.. if this does it, I can see buying another EMX2 used or something and controlling a lot of gear with it.
I bet this thing plus an army of Volcas would be a pretty cool setup... it might be what they had in mind?
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

Wouldn't surprise me, but they're also now competing with the beatstep family.

From what I can tell, it's the old school electribe sequencer. The specs match up on it and it has the old keyboard mode plus two midi outs.. that's nothing to kick out of bed.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Post by Purity_Control »

Sadly I'm more focussed at the moment on the unprecidented act of national self harm my country is about to inflict on itself than gear, though at least the work situation looks like it might be stable out to the middle of next year.

From my bike ride last night... I think something might be haunting me:

The last thing I ws gassing over a bit was the Arturia Microfreak... more for the control surface as anything, some of the sounds might be great through an analogue filter.

MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

Purity_Control wrote: From my bike ride last night... I think something might be haunting me:

What did I miss? Was there a shadow or something?
MetroSonus

Re: The gear thread.

Post by MetroSonus »

no you're not crazy, I combined a lot of the topics about gear, since it's kind of a slow forum and hey, it's all gear :idk: I just thought I would clean up a bit.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Post by ElectricPuppy »

You guys still do gear?

This is good. :thu:
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

yes.................

taken me a while to get back to gears and musics.. but yes.

what do you do? :lol:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Post by Purity_Control »

MetroSonus wrote:
Purity_Control wrote: From my bike ride last night... I think something might be haunting me:

What did I miss? Was there a shadow or something?
It's probably not that obvious with camera movement if you're watching on the dinky embed.

Surprisingly, I've done quite well for playing this year, not so much for making music... went around 4 months with no desktop PC, which is back now but I've just sort of got used to it not being there.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Post by Purity_Control »

And on the subject of gear pron, some nice examples going on here.

Thighpaulsandra there is the only one of the 3 still alive.
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »