The Studio Show Off & Build Thread

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

soundwave106

Re: The Studio Show Off & Build Thread

Post by soundwave106 »

MetroSonus wrote:Does anyone make a midi in - out module where it'll break out all the channels into CV? I figure someone does or something similar.
There's actually a *ton* of those these days (well, not all channels though, most are one channel, between one to four notes at a time), but most are Eurorack modules. I've had Mutable Instruments Yarns and it's quite nice. Vermona's MIDI converter was iffy. That's the only two I've had experience with.

For standalone, Kenton makes monophonic conversion modules. To be honest, though, I think the best option would be to chose one of these cheap monophonic modules that have both CV/gate out and MIDI (like the Arturia Microbrute or the Behringer PRO-1).

An option I have and can recommend (in Eurorack form, an older version, the MUC-400), but standalone is offered) is EDV Technik if you want polyphonic or multiple-CV type applications.
soundwave106

Post by soundwave106 »

Time for some studio photos of what things look like now (in sort of a "demo" mode -- normally the KBoard Pro 4, P6, Prologue, and VK-8 are stored in the end of the studio and placed where the P6 is "as needed").

As the studio is in a small column of the living room, it's tough to photograph without a fish-eye. My fish-eye lens is not the best low-light performer, and I didn't feel like whipping out a flash due to the lazy. So you get HIGH ISO GRAIN. Think of it as one of those Instagram filters that's popular with the smartphone influencers or something. :lol:

ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

soundwave106 wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:Does anyone make a midi in - out module where it'll break out all the channels into CV? I figure someone does or something similar.
There's actually a *ton* of those these days (well, not all channels though, most are one channel, between one to four notes at a time), but most are Eurorack modules. I've had Mutable Instruments Yarns and it's quite nice. Vermona's MIDI converter was iffy. That's the only two I've had experience with.

For standalone, Kenton makes monophonic conversion modules. To be honest, though, I think the best option would be to chose one of these cheap monophonic modules that have both CV/gate out and MIDI (like the Arturia Microbrute or the Behringer PRO-1).

An option I have and can recommend (in Eurorack form, an older version, the MUC-400), but standalone is offered) is EDV Technik if you want polyphonic or multiple-CV type applications.

I use Yarns too. I also have an Encore Expressionist which will convert eight
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Post by Purity_Control »

soundwave106 wrote:Time for some studio photos of what things look like now (in sort of a "demo" mode -- normally the KBoard Pro 4, P6, Prologue, and VK-8 are stored in the end of the studio and placed where the P6 is "as needed").

As the studio is in a small column of the living room, it's tough to photograph without a fish-eye. My fish-eye lens is not the best low-light performer, and I didn't feel like whipping out a flash due to the lazy. So you get HIGH ISO GRAIN. Think of it as one of those Instagram filters that's popular with the smartphone influencers or something. :lol:

That's looking very tight... and so tidy lol which mine never is.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Post by christianrock »

Now that's some serious plink-plink-noice generators, soundwave!

And really sweet synths, too. I'm loving seeing that space... I knew that you had all this stuff but seeing it makes it more impressive. And you make good use of it...
soundwave106

Post by soundwave106 »

Thanks!
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Post by MetroSonus »

I always liked how nicely done it is. It has a nice feel to it, not as random or chaotic as other setups I've seen. Just very laid out and clean. :thu:
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

This is kind of the state of the union right now. My son and I added the sliding shelf over the winter break to the desk and I realized that trying to use my laptops screen was just not worth it, also considering how far away I was sitting because of the keyboard now. So I added a 32 inch Tv as a monitor and it was totally worth it. I could have went for the 40, but too many things would have been outside of my peripheral vision, from where I was sitting. So all in all I'm pretty happy with it right now.
ClavAnother

Post by ClavAnother »

Cool
MetroSonus

Post by MetroSonus »

Little studio update. I added a monitor riser and some cable management channels on the back. The TV is as a comfortable viewing height now and I have more room under it for controllers and other stuff. I'm probably going to be adding a launch pad with a step sequencer at some point, up next to the launch pad XL.

I also have an Akai LPD8 I'll probably throw up there too.. That thing has been invaluable really. It's just really quite handy to have, for pads to triggers things and knobs I can assign. I love the launch pad Xl, but there's not enough knobs on it, for a virtual studio anyway.

I pulled out my old NI Audio 2DJ to see if it offered any audio quality over my laptop's sound card and also, thinking I may eventually want to route the second output to some monitors. Surprisingly, even at higher audio quality rates, it wasn't much better than the drivers on my laptop, which also offered ASIO. But, it is a 10 year old interface, at least. I'm most likely going to upgrade to something with a set of line ins eventually.