hai guyz!

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: hai guyz!

Postby topcat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:15 pm

I couldn't find a way of inserting multi-quotes, so I will just give a shout out to soundwave metro gregwar
and PC for sharing your thoughts related to my comments.
Also thank you for your kind words regarding my emotions from everything going on this year.
It just may be a case of me finally becoming my parents, who saw the trends my generation embraced as silly and the music as empty and loud.. lol oh and our hippie hairstyles.

On other things, I watched some of the Yamaha MODX unveil yesterday and I'm very impressed because I love the sound of the Montage, but it's out of my price range.
The 61 key is $1299US, 76 key $1499 and the 88 key is $1699. I think if I were to get one, I'd go for the 76 key for the first time in my life have a keyboard with more range. Also makes a great controller.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/yamaha-modx-launch/
topcat

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Purity_Control wrote:
:facepalm:

Welcome to the United States, the Weather Channel that got busted doing this has been overdramatic crap during hurricanes (and practically any other weather event) for a while. Your best bet in good weather reporting is to avoid the commercial drama-llama channels and stick with weather.gov. :cool:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:25 pm

@topcat, I think we've all done it too.. way back when in the "postal service" and micro korg days, we all grumbled and fist waggled, but hey, at least people were talking about making music and being in bands! It's been a long time since that was a popular topic.

So while we may not have great music, at least people are into it. I guess sometimes we have to pick our lesser of two evils sometimes :lol:

@sound wave, PC I've seen that one going round too. I think that's almost normal here in Fl. Especially in Tampa with the storm sewers going out all the time. It's been a big issue that's always been dramatized on the news.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:47 pm

ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:31 pm

:grin: :confuse: :jam:

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:39 pm

O HAI GUYZ I IZ BACK FROM TWO WEEKS OF VACATION

topcat wrote:
gregwar wrote:decent lulz !

this is new:

https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-x8.html

i can’t remember how to make teh linx

tempting upgrade from my “silver face” apollo mk1. there is a tb 3 port *and* 6 cores for more processing, for additional processes...

there is also new gear from native instruments with an mk2 88 key s-kontrol and komplete 12, because 12 is louder than 11!

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... ntent=4575

i thank you :wav:

ps. in other news i put together a mini setup in a spare bedroom that is mostly just my laptop, headphones, apollo, ReMOTe SL37, and am external hard drive.

it’s been grate cause the setup is very simple and i’m purposely trying to avoid email, internetz, social medidumb, and other distractions.

I watched the Native Instruments video and I'm sad, very very sad.
If I'm to believe the state of creating/producing music has evolved down to 24note controllers, 16pad controllers and laptops, I am sad. Looking around the virtual room with all the gear these young folks are using, it's nothing but technology gone amok.
Nothing wrong with technology, and perhaps I suffer from old geezer syndrome, but I long for the day when people actually played keyboards, guitars and sang without the benefit of pitchcorrection and autotune effects. Do any of these people know what to do with the rest of their fingers other than the index finger when playing keyboards? why even bother with the thing looking like a piano or synth? put little funny Simpson characters on a pad or SpongeBob.

NOthing wrong with techno, EDM, electronica or whatever the new thingy is today, as the Dick Clark dancers would say, I'd give it a 10, it's got a good groove and you can dance to it. I love to dance, it's part of the joy of life, but that video and the state of music today is abysmal.
There's only 4 or 5 producers writing/producing ALL the material of modern commerical music for many artists like Katy Perry and Mr X. Same with hip hop and country. And they all use the same production tools to make music as loud as possible, with just a wee bit of a hook which is repeated ad nauseum.

I love what you folks are doing here, real people making real music... you are the true musical giants. :love:

END OF RANT, I must leave and feed the cat, but on the way I'm going to burn all of my Native Instruments stuff after watching that video. :wave:

I had a phase like that recently, then I realized that I can still listen to stuff that's not like that and not care.
Regarding modern pop music, I think it's to the point that you can just turn the sound off and watch them dance because
1. the music sucks
2. the dancing has in some cases gotten virtuoso.

Most of all, I think I've never gotten over the fact that I realize I'm now too old for a music career, and that makes me want people to get off my friggin grass.

ClavAnother wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:Image

Can Don Solaris confirm? :lol:

I was just talking about him last night with Poalo Di Nicholantonio. Paolo played a set and it was like watching one of his YouTube videos live. It was Synth Mania indeed. Also, he flew in with small synths in his suitcase so I don't see why you are all not here. Hanging out with him and STG was like bein in HCKSS in three dimensions.

That is awesome! Paolo's a cool guy. I had a few chats offline with him back in the KSS days, he was always a very nice person - and he does get to have the coolest equipment and knows what to do with it.

Oh and I had a Serbian neighbor until recently so I can confirm the language thing, by the way.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 pm

MetroSonus wrote:From anecdotal evidence, i'd say most of your instrument players are older guys who have been doing it since the 80's and 90's. You're right though, it's the push in electronic hip hop and other genres over all, but doesn't that make sense too? 1 dude on a computer can write and produce 10 bands. I think it's about dollar signs to record companies more than anything else. I hate to say it too, but it's easier to fake being a producer to some girl you're trying too woo by pressing a pad on a controller and playing a loop you dug out of a pack rather than spending a few years learning to play guitar. :freak:

times change I guess dudes. :snax:

I was just on a cruise ship for 8 days, which was made possible by my mother in law and her husband... There were several performers since it was a medium/big ship. A group of 8 singers performed a different style of music every night and was very enjoyable. Other singers and duos also did very well within their styles, but my absolute favorite was a band of guys and a gal all in their 20s playing songs from the 60s to now, a lot of times with an obvious jazz influence. I could sit there and listen for hours. Top notch musicians, all of them, the guy and girl singers were always on spot and no autotunes were heard on the ship.

Life was good (the 24/7 great food helped too)

And since this is the interwebz age, I could easily find them playing in the exact same ship and spot where I saw them on most nights.

But yes, NI is targeting the EDM crowd. The ads for East West and other composer suites are vastly different.

On the Maschine side, it's basically all targeting the rap/r&b scene.

Top cat, :wave: I know, I'm sorry you've been through some stuff. I think we all have the last few years. As long as I'm still alive, this place will be open. I saw too many forum takeovers and crashes and I honestly didn't want to lose touch with all of the friends I had made over the years.

We joke around, but had we all met in highschool, we would have made some legendary, prog rock, D&D super nerd group or something :lol:

And it would be super-cool.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:59 pm

the technical term is mutually intelligible.

CR, can you understand any Portuguese? I was watching this architecture show and they didn't translate a guy speaking Portuguese and I got about 70% of it and the rest was whaaaaaa? My Spanish sucks but the whole thing was like, y, casa, playa.. :blah: :blah: sofa blanca, :blah: :blah: :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:15 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:lol and cheaper.

Personally I'm a fan of artisanal salt scrubs. It doesn't strip off my seasoning like soap can.

I see what you did there :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:21 pm

topcat wrote:I couldn't find a way of inserting multi-quotes, so I will just give a shout out to soundwave metro gregwar
and PC for sharing your thoughts related to my comments.
Also thank you for your kind words regarding my emotions from everything going on this year.
It just may be a case of me finally becoming my parents, who saw the trends my generation embraced as silly and the music as empty and loud.. lol oh and our hippie hairstyles.

On other things, I watched some of the Yamaha MODX unveil yesterday and I'm very impressed because I love the sound of the Montage, but it's out of my price range.
The 61 key is $1299US, 76 key $1499 and the 88 key is $1699. I think if I were to get one, I'd go for the 76 key for the first time in my life have a keyboard with more range. Also makes a great controller.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/yamaha-modx-launch/

I hope things improve for you! All these things remind us that life is so fragile. Enjoy every moment, recognize your Creator, and be happy for each day above ground :)

I must investigate this MODX. All the Montage samples plus 8-OP FM? That sounds cool, but I think the Montage already had FM. I guess the main difference is the interface? Now they just need to add a top notch VA engine and a ton more buttons and sliders and it's a one stop shop :kraftwerk: :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:29 pm

I dug the Car Wash, man. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:40 pm

MetroSonus wrote:the technical term is mutually intelligible.

CR, can you understand any Portuguese? I was watching this architecture show and they didn't translate a guy speaking Portuguese and I got about 70% of it and the rest was whaaaaaa? My Spanish sucks but the whole thing was like, y, casa, playa.. :blah: :blah: sofa blanca, :blah: :blah: :lol:

I come from Brazil, so yes, Portuguese is what I spoke most of my life :)

Usually people who know Portuguese understand Spanish easier than the way around. If you know Spanish and could understand 70% of Portuguese, I'm very impressed :jam: :drink:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby topcat » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:47 am

WELCOME BACK CR...The clubhouse is now back to normal(whatever that is).
Glad you had time to get away and have some down time on a cruise ship.
I also dug the Car Wash video and band. I love that kind of stuff, and it's all about people doing what they do and being very good at it. It gives people joy and makes them dance and I love it.
Bar bands, wedding bands and Dj's sometimes get a bad rap, but if they're good they make the celebration a memorable event.
I love all types of music, folk, country, classical, psychedelic(Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles), light jazz and the list can go on.
If the performers are good, I'm there. IF I walked into a place and they're playing EDM I'd probably be up and dancing with everyone else.
But we recently saw Yes in concert in Clearwater back in August, and those cats can play. 2hrs plus with a short break in between. They had these things they used on stage, what is it? oh yeah, instruments I think.

I was reading not too long ago about the crash and burn of Gibson guitars, poor management and poor quality is part of their problem. But I also read guitar sales are down across the board because kids today don't want to take the time to invest into learning, same with piano and other instruments.
But as all things, it's cyclical and somebody in the future will write a song using guitar and a new generation will pick it up again. Nice thing about guitar, piano, strings, wind, is if the power goes out you can still play and make music. Not so if you're into electronic music..

Anyway, good to have you back... If you get time, check out the new Yamaha MODX synth/keyboard..
topcat

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:29 pm

christianrock wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:the technical term is mutually intelligible.

I come from Brazil, so yes, Portuguese is what I spoke most of my life :)

Usually people who know Portuguese understand Spanish easier than the way around. If you know Spanish and could understand 70% of Portuguese, I'm very impressed :jam: :drink:

D'oh. You could have translated this guy then! I knew one of the main countries main language was Portuguese..! My bad :lol:

But yes! Welcome back! :wave:

Yea those guys were good! That bass player though.. good job! That has to be a heck of a job. Work a few hours a night, travel all over.

They had these things they used on stage, what is it? oh yeah, instruments I think.

:lol:
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Synthtopia posted this and i thought it was really cool..

I also posted this on the blog (yes we have a video! I mean blog, er front page). I can't say it'll be amazing anytime soon, but I'm slowly trying to whip it back into shape. My life is jussssst finally starting to take shape now.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:18 pm

MetroSonus wrote:But yes! Welcome back! :wave:

Yea those guys were good! That bass player though.. good job! That has to be a heck of a job. Work a few hours a night, travel all over.

They had these things they used on stage, what is it? oh yeah, instruments I think.

:lol:

Thank you Chris, thank you all. Good to be back. Kinda, when you think the alternative would be to still be in the Caribbean :lol:

But yeah the band was good but to me the real star was the keyboard player. He was more laid back and didn't have any stage presence, was behind the whole band, but man did he play some sweet notes and sounds. He was like the glue that held the whole band together. The guitar player also had some really good moments.

And yeah in the bass player youtube page where I found that video he's also got one where he's exploring the islands... I didn't watch it but you get the idea that they're out there having a good time in the ships. Playing a few hours, spending the day doing cool stuff... and eating all that great food. No wonder both the singers are kind of chubby :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Hai guyz! Just checking in. I know I've been horribly lax here lately, I'm sorry. :cry:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:38 pm

smooth move ex lax.. :wave:

who do you think is in the burgers? :idk:

I have nothing to contribute other than my own self, amusing lulz right now :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:04 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Hai guyz! Just checking in. I know I've been horribly lax here lately, I'm sorry. :cry:

That's what happens when you've been busy SYNTHING
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:02 pm

ClavAnother

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.