I know nothing about basic keyboards!

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

I know nothing about basic keyboards!

Postby Veracohr » Sat May 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi all!

My girlfriend is looking for a keyboard with basic sounds and I don't know what to recommend because they're the kind of sounds I never look for myself. She wants piano, organ, choir, string type sounds with some sound editing capability and as basic an interface as possible. What would you recommend that is low cost? Used is ok.

I found a used Roland Juno Gi on Guitar Center's website for $490. It has the sounds but more complexity than she needs/wants. What other options are there?
Veracohr

Re: I know nothing about basic keyboards!

Postby MetroSonus » Mon May 04, 2020 2:29 pm

sound editing like how? Like sculpting the sound or doing splits and layers? If you were looking to adjust the envelopes, filter and stuff, you'd have to go with a Juno, or one of the cheaper motifs. If not, there has to be affordable digital pianos that have the basic sounds that also do splits and layers and things.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Mon May 04, 2020 3:50 pm

Does she want piano or synth action? And what is the budget?

Usually Casios have all these sounds in affordable packages.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Veracohr » Mon May 04, 2020 4:28 pm

Well she already pulled the trigger on the Juno so the question is moot. The demo videos for it sounded good.

She plays guitar and has never played keyboards except for some knob twiddling noise making in a previous psych rock band. She's been thinking about a synthy solo project recently. Just a few days ago she impulse-bought a used Artruria Minibrute but then decided she actually wanted meat & potatoes sounds, so I bought the Minibrute off her.
Veracohr

Postby christianrock » Mon May 04, 2020 6:02 pm

DUDE IS THAT A JUNO????

(I don't remember if you were here around the time that insider joke was being thrown around... if not I apologize...)

She should be happy with it. Great straight-out-of-the-box sounds on Rolands, always.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Veracohr » Mon May 04, 2020 7:50 pm

Oh yeah I remember! :grin:
Veracohr

Return to KSS