Anyone want to hazard a guess what's going on here?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Anyone want to hazard a guess what's going on here?

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Been going on for a few days, thought it was pigeons performing on the roof at first, figured out today it's coming from my gear! :freak:

Not sure where, can go quiet for a good half hour or so and then has a burst of maybe 10 seconds to over a minute.

May just have to wait until it has a good burst then isolate different kit until it stops.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Re: Anyone want to hazard a guess what's going on here?

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:10 pm

i'd just record it and sell it as an album :lol:

That said.. I have no idea.. that's not electrical noise, not any I've heard.

have you tried the unplug one thing at a time thing until you ID the source?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:26 pm

That's going to be my next move, it's intermittent though and sometimes doesn't happen for a few hours.

if I can catch it, prob. easiest to twiddle channel knobs on the mixer and see if I can catch which channel it's coming in through before it goes away again.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:30 pm

ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:13 am

I'd check the preamps first (both any mixers, as well as the modular if you have something patched up) -- never had anything *specifically* like that, but you can get some strange sounds if you have max preamp volumes on stuff that isn't supposed to be preamped (noisy line level instruments for instance). Aside from the bursty stuff, there's a low volume constant rumbling sound and high whine, this suggests that to me for some reason.

If not that, it's probably RFI of some sort, my guess is from a digital source of some sort. My closest reference point here is GSM cell phones, which were famous for introducing "buzzing noises" when a device was near many speakers. The GSM buzz was much higher in pitch, but also had that "bursty" characteristic. Again, I'd look at the Eurorack, because Eurorack design quality varied wildly on keeping noise out of the module.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:41 am

I think you may have hit the nail on the head! :lol:

I have an older Nokia cellphone that I don't normally take up to the attic with me, jobhunting at the moment though so it stays with me any time there might be an important call.

That would explain why it didn't happen until recently and also why it doesn't seem to happen later in teh evenings, as the phone is more likely to be off or elsewhere.

Gotta test this theory out later.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:38 pm

I would have said cell noise too, but that was way lower..
MetroSonus

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:05 pm

You're right.

I've managed to isolate the sound now, it's coming in from the Memotron which is connected to the Electro-Harmonix Talking Machine pedal.

Noise floor peaks every once in a while just enough for the formant filtering and a lot of gain boost to kick in giving the funny sounds.

More or less what I'd first guessed, though my money would have been on the rotary speaker pedal as the last bit of new kit and most unknown.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 pm

Did you have the volume high on the memotron?

That's a first though.. I have never heard of a noise floor just lifting on it's own. Normally it's in proportion to the volume..
MetroSonus

Return to KSS