Moog One

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Moog One

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:10 pm

So, the word on Moog's $8K 16 voice polyphonic is out.
Only a Sweetwater "preview", Moog's official site hasn't even posted anything (beyond a front page which now shows old Moog polys).

There are no audio demos yet.
Normally, this means I wouldn't say anything.

But the Gearslutz thread on the Moog One is up to 39 pages. :lol:

Place bets on how many pages it grows to before most people get the chance to actually hear the darn thing. :snax:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Re: Moog One

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:53 pm

:wave:
Last edited by ClavAnother on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:09 pm

ClavAnother wrote:These are the worlds first recordings of a secret polysynth. Yes this is my Dropbox, no I can't answer any questions yet. It will be officially announced next Monday.

K Cup Is Not A Bra Size

No 3X Gas Points For You

P.s. Please don't tell anybody. This post will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Very pleasing sounds. Phat and smooth at the same time, at least at these settings - as it should be (but DSI doesn't quite get smooth like this, and Moog for the last couple decades hasn't either). Are you under a NDA? Or was it just "yeah yeah I promise I won't tell THOSE guys..." :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:12 pm

Lol. No but the guy under the NDA told me not to blab. I just really like you guyz.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Any chance we can hear some poly sounds? :)
Last edited by christianrock on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Sure man. This is me:

Try Something New
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:28 pm

Nice :thu: And I'm sure they have nothing to do with this thread, amirite :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:40 pm

christianrock wrote:Nice :thu: And I'm sure they have nothing to do with this thread, amirite :lol:

Lol! You're very very right! I made that with the arturia minimoog v that you told me about that day when it was free. Hey, it's poly..you didn't specify :grin:
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:58 pm

ClavAnother wrote::wave:

MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:01 pm

MetroSonus wrote:
ClavAnother wrote::wave:

[img]/images/043a_just_one_bite_534.jpg[/img]

i say the truth
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:49 pm

K, real talk: NEAT. But also: so? I mean, WHY? Is this thing really capable of sounds that can't be perfectly simulated these days?

lol listen to me, what a crab I've become...
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:53 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Sure man. This is me:

Try Something New

I'm feeling some Kraftwerk here. Nice.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:40 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:K, real talk: NEAT. But also: so? I mean, WHY? Is this thing really capable of sounds that can't be perfectly simulated these days?

lol listen to me, what a crab I've become...

ok. real talk. those files are a soundtrack to a video that was made by a friend who passed. they are not at all intended to be shared or to demonstrate an instrument. they just happen to exist. it is true that they are the first recordings and they are not public yet.

i think it's neat that when i was told about it six months ago, i had the identical reaction that the internet is having now. namely, i heard the price (which i had already assumed years ago) and i immediately lost any interest in the matter what so ever. since then i have been told 90% of what it can do and it has no peers.

i also think it's interesting that my reaction to it's grandmother was the same as well. it's ugly and it has a stupid name, but ah..the sound..it's great..the price isn't too awful bad.

i am not at all trying to sell this thing to anybody, but i have been told that i should consider selling about four synths and getting one of these.

i predict that the internet will follow suit in a short while.
Last edited by ClavAnother on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:41 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:
ClavAnother wrote:Sure man. This is me:

Try Something New

I'm feeling some Kraftwerk here. Nice.

aw shucks
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:00 pm

ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:35 pm

ClavAnother wrote:i predict that the internet will follow suit in a short while.

Without hearing it (initial architecture thoughts), my initial thought is that they are taking elements of the Memorymoog (the whole 3 osc polysynth concept and the panel design) and merging it with some of the concepts of the Andromeda (eg envelope with adjustable curves, dual multimode and Moog LPF filters per voice, 16 voices) and a touch of modern Moog (X/Y pad).

Now, on one sense, this is good. As far as this "analog poly world" goes, there actually is currently nothing in new analog poly world remotely as powerful (programmability wise) as the Andromeda right now (srsly). An improved version of this style of powerhouse would be welcome. After all, by modern standards the Andromeda is a bit old in the tooth. Its LFOs are a little sluggish at max for instance, and the Alesis Wedge on-board effects are dated.

From my perspective, the Andromeda is capable of some sounds that -- well, VSTs certainly can do them, but I tend to prefer the Andromeda overall. You can get some eerie ghostly pads for instance with resonant BPF -> resonant LPF in the Andromeda that have a nice quality I can't find elsewhere, personally (actual analog filters help here I think). The Moog One might have some of these same sorts of qualities -- probably in a different way, but it might be very nice like that. We'll see. That's just me.

I will say that personally, between the P6 and the Andromeda, I've got a *lot* of analog poly covered. I think if I just had the P6, or if the Andromeda died, I'd be taking a peak. But that price right now is a doozie, a pretty huge barrier. I'll await the audio demos for much further commentary.
Last edited by soundwave106 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:08 am

Is the Andy multi timbral?
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:10 am

This one has an Ethernet connection that will let Moog diagnose and repair or update it over teh interwebs.
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:41 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Is the Andy multi timbral?

Yes, actually even the new Moog doesn't go as far the Andromeda, no analog does that I know of. The Andromeda has a full workstation-esque "mix mode" that is up to 16 part multitimbral, with workstation-like MIDI mapping and whatnot.

Honestly such a mode probably is not as necessary these days, as most electronic musicians "play the laptop" these days, and any keyboards are "performance instruments" only. I have not used mix mode a lot since stopping the "playing out" thing. When I did 1980s Cover Band Thing though, this was extremely helpful. It allowed me to map up to, say, 6-8 Andromeda sounds over the 2 keyboards that I brought, so for one song, I could switch to one mix and that's it. No "wall of keyboards" necessary.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:59 pm

I think you once told me that yours has always worked, but all the ones I have ever played didn't. I never had any faith in it after that. It's cool that yours is good.
ClavAnother

Next

Return to KSS