The Contract

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Contract

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:he screwed me by getting a guy to do what I was doing
Was that your spooky noise making era?


Yep.. ala 2000 ish. :smoke:

Typically a "studio budget" was nothing more than a forced loan that was paid of the top of the royalties and most bands never made it back, went into debt and broke up because of it. Hence the scam.


Yeah it's the musical equivalent of girls paying for modelling photos.
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8804
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: The Contract

Postby gregwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:44 pm

neat. the worst deals when i went to music conferences about 5-10 years ago were called 360 deals and the labels got proceeds from touring (tix and merch)

i have a really dour view of the industry and prolly shouldn’t comment too much

ps. if g-boy is doing ok music wise it may be a good idea to find placements on spotify/apple music playlists. that can help drive up streams/interest and get moar attention

(disclaimer: some of these placements are “paid” like the old payola radio industry and yield no real results)

also, monetizing teh uchoobs is a (very low) paying thing my frens used to talk about. after like 1 million plays you can get $20 :facepalmeroonie:

pps. i have abandoned all hope, stopped releasing tracks and paying fb for advertisement, cancelled my soundcloud pro and stopped paying for my .com domain. after 4 years my itunes release, with the aforementioned fb ad budget and domain and soundcloud has yielded zero dollars

music on the internet is a joke and insulting to real musicians. i only play my music for my friends in my back yard! which i could never have if i still pursued music!

ok i have said too much lol
User avatar
gregwar
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: The Contract

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Greg, I have done none of that and made several 100$s doing ambient music on band camp. We're talking less than a thousand and it's over 3-4 years.. but it's something.

I'd recommend hitting up internet radio stations that are in your genre, blogs, reviewers etc. I think trying to compete with huge names in your genre is pointless. If you're doing something niche, those genres tend to have small, but hardcore fanbases and honestly, despite the overall low income I've made, I really, really frickin appreciate those guys.

Keep making music man, but don't be afraid to keep putting it out there. Sometimes you just need to let people beat their path to you instead of trying to get it in front of them through adverts. I've found it much more satisfying that way.
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8804
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: The Contract

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:48 am

In the 2000s it was easier I think to make money on this sort of thing... a MIDI / synth web page I had actually paid me a little bit via banner adverts. The most money I ever made in music was a stint in a cover band... not too too much but far more than anything original. Local cover bands however are probably going to die with the boomers.

I would not look at the interwebs these days to make money in art... everyone is chasing what little money there is. If you want to make money using a computer, learn how to program one -- in any gold rush, the people who make the real money are the ones making the shovels. :lol: Generally the big Youtube personalities are not music -- slapstick / lowball comedy, parodies, beauty tips, and (oddly) people playing video games and humorously commenting on them. About 99% of people doing the above will have very low viewcounts, but if you want to "play that game" it's pretty clear your best chance is comedy. It's still a lottery roll though.

I can envision a way that "might work" a bit outside the "mainstream". Basically more niche music genres are easier to sustain these days. There's no big label exec pressure wanting you to turn out That Perfect Top 40 Hit (and if you don't you get shitcanned after two albums.) So you can use music as sort of "semi-paid vacations" where you tour and some parts of the cost is paid etc. Any niche musician will have to supplement with seasonal work and odd jobs and whatnot (whether in music or not), the more commercially worse the genre the more this applies. Essentially, it's still a hobby, but you maybe make a little bit here and there, and get to go to interesting places not entirely on your own dime. You might actually be able to do this for a long time, and do it on and off, etc. (There's still old 1980s punk bands that occasionally tour that we played with. I would not be surprised to see a small metalcore nostalgia tour circuit in 20 years. :) Niche fans IMHO are *much* more "hardcore" about their genre for a lack of a better word than popular trend chasers.)

At any rate, what I like about this new world too is that any hobbyist can share music very easily, for no cost. Even if there is zero commercial potential, it works for "playing music in my back yard" so to speak.
BC | SC
User avatar
soundwave106
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: The Contract

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 pm

soundwave106 wrote:I would not be surprised to see a small metalcore nostalgia tour circuit in 20 years. :)
Maybe, if the fans haven't moshed out their brains. :grin:
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: The Contract

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:25 pm

I think we're going to be listening to 70s, 80s and 90s music for decades to come, as I agree with Greg, anyone who has talent isn't going to be making music, they'll use that talent on something that can actually pay the bills. Hence very little good music is coming out, and very little will continue to come out in the foreseeable future.

Of course I could be wrong... but that's what I feel. David Bowie, even a few years before he died, said that if he was starting today, thare's no way he would have been a musician. It was ok to make a good career in the 70s, in the early 2000s it was just a bad idea that wasn't going to make hardly any money.
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12737
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The Contract

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm

I watched a docu the other day about the music industry and how it's changed over the last several decades.

One of the most disgusting facts pointed out was that nearly all (literally, the overwhelming vast majority) of top 40 number one's and nearly everything else on the charts was written by one of two guys. There are two guys, one American and one Swedish I think, who write nearly everything that makes it big these days.

Another disgusting change over the years is how the industry now doesn't care one whit about talent because *apparently* taking a monetary risk to the tune of millions on someone (or a band) who isn't a pretty teenager is no longer "worth it" and is much safer to just pluck a cute youngin' off YouTube or American Idol and force them upon the general public so hard and so often that the people genuinely think they like it. God I hate people.

Also, I'm going to see Ghost this November IN MOBILE at a small theater. Ghost. Local. In a small venue. I. CANNOT. WAIT.
User avatar
selfinflikted
Down in it
 
Posts: 4763
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 am
Location: Mobile, Alabama

Re: The Contract

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:33 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I watched a docu the other day about the music industry and how it's changed over the last several decades.

One of the most disgusting facts pointed out was that nearly all (literally, the overwhelming vast majority) of top 40 number one's and nearly everything else on the charts was written by one of two guys. There are two guys, one American and one Swedish I think, who write nearly everything that makes it big these days.

Another disgusting change over the years is how the industry now doesn't care one whit about talent because *apparently* taking a monetary risk to the tune of millions on someone (or a band) who isn't a pretty teenager is no longer "worth it" and is much safer to just pluck a cute youngin' off YouTube or American Idol and force them upon the general public so hard and so often that the people genuinely think they like it. God I hate people.

Also, I'm going to see Ghost this November IN MOBILE at a small theater. Ghost. Local. In a small venue. I. CANNOT. WAIT.


Yup, that pretty much sums up the music scene and one of the reasons why I don't care for it anymore :old-man-throws-fist-up:

And, Ghost? As in the 1990 movie that made millions of women cry around the world?
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12737
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The Contract

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:36 pm

christianrock wrote:
And, Ghost? As in the 1990 movie that made millions of women cry around the world?


Ugh. Swayze. Don't make me titter.

Nah. They're only one of the most popular metal bands in existence right now. You wouldn't care for them because of their lyrical content I grant you, but they're music is sorta the bomb. And I have been dying to see them. And now I am. Unless I die first.
User avatar
selfinflikted
Down in it
 
Posts: 4763
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 am
Location: Mobile, Alabama

Re: The Contract

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:46 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:
And, Ghost? As in the 1990 movie that made millions of women cry around the world?


Ugh. Swayze. Don't make me titter.

Nah. They're only one of the most popular metal bands in existence right now. You wouldn't care for them because of their lyrical content I grant you, but they're music is sorta the bomb. And I have been dying to see them. And now I am. Unless I die first.


Ah. Had to look them up.

So a band with a satanic priest called the Papa Emeritus (I had a chuckle) and the rest of the band are faceless, nameless Ghouls? That oughta make it really easy to change band members without anyone noticing :lol:

And you're right, with their lyric content, I'm going to pass on listening.

Sweden, man.

Also, keep on rocking. In the free world.
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12737
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The Contract

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:50 pm

christianrock wrote:Ah. Had to look them up.

So a band with a satanic priest called the Papa Emeritus (I had a chuckle) and the rest of the band are faceless, nameless Ghouls? That oughta make it really easy to change band members without anyone noticing :lol:

And you're right, with their lyric content, I'm going to pass on listening.

Sweden, man.

Also, keep on rocking. In the free world.


They're pretty big right now. Dave Grohl has drummed for them several times without anyone realizing it. Hetfield is a huge fan. They got lotsa clout. The show/lyrics are just a schtick, obvs.
User avatar
selfinflikted
Down in it
 
Posts: 4763
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 am
Location: Mobile, Alabama

Re: The Contract

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:57 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:Ah. Had to look them up.

So a band with a satanic priest called the Papa Emeritus (I had a chuckle) and the rest of the band are faceless, nameless Ghouls? That oughta make it really easy to change band members without anyone noticing :lol:

And you're right, with their lyric content, I'm going to pass on listening.

Sweden, man.

Also, keep on rocking. In the free world.


They're pretty big right now. Dave Grohl has drummed for them several times without anyone realizing it. Hetfield is a huge fan. They got lotsa clout. The show/lyrics are just a schtick, obvs.


Well, I read some lyrics and they actually know what they are writing about. These things aren't written by kids who are playing with satanism, it sounds like someone's passionate about this. Not that they practice what they sing, but they know what they are playing with, I'd say. And one of the objectives is to try to show hatred to people like me ("Cursed be the sons and daughters of thy Nemesis", they sing). So I'd best avoid and just carry on.
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12737
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The Contract

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm

...my wayward sooooon. For there'll be peace when you are doooooonneee.

*ahem*

Totally understandable.
User avatar
selfinflikted
Down in it
 
Posts: 4763
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 am
Location: Mobile, Alabama

Re: The Contract

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Guitarboy's GF won two Super Deluxe Front Row Tix to Frampton and Steve Miller tonight. VIP parking, snax & everything. I asked him if he knew any of the songs he might hear, and he actually named a few, so my parenting efforts were at least a partial success.

His gf could name only "Abracadabra". But she's 19, so pretty good I guess.
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: The Contract

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:50 pm

The goth band that my ex the escaping transvestite used to play in seem to have had limited success since I parted company with that crowd, that said, their main solution to most problems was to chuck another £1k at it so no idea if they actually make anything out of it overall.

They disappeared up their on arseholes some time ago so I'm quite glad I never went down that road. :lol:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
User avatar
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: The Contract

Postby gregwar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:52 pm

back when i was in high school before anyone really knew about napster there was a guy that walked around selling CDs for $5. you gave him a list of songs and he would burn you a cd. thats basically the music industry now

just like that guy paid a lot of money for a cd burner back then, there are highly paid and highly skilled people that work on software and hardware for music playback like spotify, apple, etc.

and just like cds software will be over written and hardware will be updated and replaced. Since that's where the resources are going interesting music from talented artists will be more and more the exception than the rule

ironically, you can now store 100,000 songs or whatever in your pocket and most of the great music on those devices will be from before ipods were invented.
User avatar
gregwar
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Previous

Return to KSS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron