The Contract

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

The Contract

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:40 am

SharpTone Records has offered GuitarBoy's band a recording contract. The label made the first overtures, presumably because their recent second album sold reasonably well online in it's niche, RE itoons/spotify ect.

G-boy is excited. I, however, am less inclined to exuberance.

To make a long contract short: The Label (hereafter referred to as The Label) grabs eighty percent of all profits from music sales, and fifty % of merch. They even want to re-release the first two albums, which means they will own them. In return, as I understand it, they provide distro, publicity, PR, tour bookings & support.

Seem legit?

Just me, but for 80% I'd want a clause about fame and fortune and everything that goes with it.
Plink Floyd

Re: The Contract

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:46 am

Teach him about publishing rights and ownership
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:46 am

Also, teach him about how it is a loan shark scam.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:47 am

Also, teach him about how that deal is a rip off. 80%. Sheesh.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:49 am

Oh man. Teach him about how he has to retain ownership of all of his art. To give it away is a dumbshit move.

Teach him to pass.
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:26 pm

What is The Label(TM) benefits?

80% seems way too much IMHO. Especially in modern era where you can self-manage some of this stuff a lot easier. I actually do not think any "long term contract" makes sense in this era. Of the contracts I know of labels that actually try to balance Art and Da Biz, this does not seem it from first description.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Lol, tell the kid I'll do it for 75%
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:52 pm

80% DOES seem like a lot. Is that 80% worth the marketing, promotion, and distribution that (presumably) would be the point of signing up? I dunno, man, I'd REALLY want to read the contract over *real close*.

And like Soundwave says: why not just do all that yourself and keep ALL TEH MONIES?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:08 pm

The handshake, seals the contract, dur dur contract, dur dur contract :facepalm:

Ask if they can make the contract rolled up like a scroll, it'll be easier for them when you tell them where they can stick it.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:05 pm

So I'm sensing a slight tendency towards disapproval? :lol:

But:
ClavAnother wrote:Teach him this...
ClavAnother wrote:Teach him that...
ClavAnother wrote:Teach him the other...

He's 22. He hasn't been in teachable mode for 10 years or so.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:40 am

Plink Floyd wrote:So I'm sensing a slight tendency towards disapproval? :lol:

The main caveat I have to my disapproving face is that (from what I see) SharpTone isn't a small player at least in certain genres -- at least, I recognize a few of the metalcore bands in their roster, and I'm not even a big fan of the genre. :lol: So they probably have more of *da connections* and the like, you'll probably get better gigs out of it (one can hope!).

Building that is not the easiest thing, and if you don't have a lot that and want a quick jump into "the biz", it *might* be worth it depending if the noose in the contract is not bound *too* tight. You'll just have to think of the label as "the marketing department" and figure out other ways to get dollars, I imagine.

(I'm one who has a low opinion of "music as a career" too... so... :idk: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:21 am

Plink Floyd wrote:So I'm sensing a slight tendency towards disapproval? :lol:

But:
ClavAnother wrote:Teach him this...
ClavAnother wrote:Teach him that...
ClavAnother wrote:Teach him the other...

He's 22. He hasn't been in teachable mode for 10 years or so.

Hmmm. So in two years his brain will have fully developed and he will be able to pick up where he left off.

Let's make it a two year contract. He'll learn loads.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:31 pm

I wouldn't give up ownership of the albums. My personal opinion and 80% is a lot.. 50% of merch? what comes with that? are the doing the selling and front ending? That may be worth it, but if they still have to hawk their own stuff and they want a cut, then no.

When I was working with a label, it was 20/80 my favor. I put myself through two years or university on it.

Go over how far 20% goes across the entire band.. he may change his tuning and drop a Dookie.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Hm. From my scant bit of homework, 80% to you was a really good deal. From what I can find on the innernets, 10 to 18% is common, even with big name artists.

In this case, 50% merch applies only to that sold through the label's distro system. The boys get 100% of gig merch sales. They also get guaranteed gig money.

I think they're probably going for it. From their point of view, they won't miss ownership of their music. Seems a bit mercenary, but Gboy says "In twenty years, no one will remember any of this stuff anyway. It's not like there'll be a Classic Metalcore station on the radio". And he's probably right about that.

They negotiated a bit with The Suits, and the new Contract Memo is forthcoming, followed by The Full Ninteen Page Boilerplate Barrage.

At least they listened when I said they should have a lawyer look it over.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:45 pm

Oh yeah, they don't have to give up the 1st two albums, and the Label will re-release them anyway.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:46 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Hmmm. So @ age 24 his brain will have fully developed and he will be able to pick up where he left off.
Lol mine wasn't.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Hm. From my scant bit of homework, 80% to you was a really good deal. From what I can find on the innernets, 10 to 18% is common, even with big name artists.

I worked I guess with an indie, agent, net label, sales guy all in one? :confuse:

I had to pay for CD manufacturing and a finders fee for any commissioned work. This was all sound track, sound effect stuff.. not regular music so the market may be a bit different.

I think I might have been doing better than he expected, as after a couple years, he screwed me by getting a guy to do what I was doing, but for cheaper I'm sure and he cut me out of it.

Oh well :smoke:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:13 pm

MetroSonus wrote:he screwed me by getting a guy to do what I was doing
Was that your spooky noise making era?
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:distro, publicity, PR, tour bookings & support

The one thing missing from the list is "studio budget"... they get 80% and guitarboy and frens pay for studio time?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:50 am

Typically a "studio budget" was nothing more than a forced loan that was paid of the top of the royalties and most bands never made it back, went into debt and broke up because of it. Hence the scam.
ClavAnother

Next

Return to KSS