The Keyboards In My Life

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Keyboards In My Life

Postby midinut » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:56 am

Had the CS60 while I was stationed in Hawaii. Picked it up used. Wish I had never sold it. I did so to fund a Korg PolySix. I wanted a Prophet 5 but couldn’t afford one of those at the time. The CS60 was just “ethereal” to me. I felt an organic connection to the instrument I have never felt with another. Seriously considering a Deckard’s Dream but questioning my soldering skills - and my sanity. If you owned a 50, I’m sure you “get it”.

I intended to put that list together when I first saw the thread, but it took me awhile to put it together in Excel a little bit at a time. It had me revisiting memories that I’m glad I did. It was a fun romp. I wasn’t making an attempt to “out-do” anyone when I did it, but more looking at what all I’ve used to make my music over the years. Hence the guitars, lights, studio and stage gear as well. Not to mention the wife has been on my ass about documenting what equipment I have for a rider on our homeowners insurance. So I can check that off the list. Now that I see it posted, it’s a bit embarrassing. It didn’t look so big in Excel as you only see a portion at a time. A few of the instruments were loaners from others, or keyboards I had access to and used anytime I wanted to, but did not own. The title did say keyboards in my life, not keyboards I’ve owned. I should for the sake of the thread title go in and remove all non keyboard related items as well. So do drum machines count? And yes I probably did miss a few (I’ve thought of several since). I am probably OCD but don’t religiously keep receipts. I do on higher ticket items.
midinut

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 pm

I guess drum machines are technically synthesizers in many cases.

But this thread is an interesting exercise in history, I'm glad you took the time. I need to audit my current studio for insurance one day too - serial numbers and video and a list.

Regarding he CS50, I totally still have it and the only way I'd get rid of it is if I had a 60. Even then it's not a certainty. I absolutely "get it", the way you only can if you play one. It's the most connected I've ever felt to sound.
ClavAnother

Postby midinut » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Clav, I do believe you're the only other person I ever met that played a Kawai EP-705. Used it live for several years. Learned how to tune pianos in the process. It had a nice sound. I liked it better than the CP-70/80. Still was a bear to move around and load on the truck and such.
Yeah, I would hold on to your CS-50 as well. I would love to find another CS-60 at some point but I figure it would be a pain in the ass to maintain as the parts are getting old like me and hard to find. Of course I wanted a CS-80 at that time but that wasn't gonna happen on a soldiers salary either. I found that CS-60 used from a private source. Can't even remember what I paid for it (and I'm not gonna ask my first wife - who probably DOES remember). Anytime I hear Vangelis music I feel I could have recreated a bunch of it with that CS-60. There happens to be one on ebay that has a Buy It Now price of $4500 on it just for your information.
midinut

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:03 am

don't tempt me. I've gotten six new synths in the last six weeks. I'm not getting any more yet.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:06 am

I had a 705M with midi. Right now I have a 608, which is the same piano (no midi) in a different casing. The body is sort of like an SKB case - Maybe vacuformed? I definitely Like the CP better - Even though the CP60 is similar, is still has two strings per note on the unwound notes
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:09 pm

ClavAnother

Previous

Return to KSS