My DAW considerations thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: My DAW considerations thread.

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:20 am

Plink Floyd wrote:
christianrock wrote:By the way I think I'd get the Neutron over the Moog clone. It sounds just as wonderful...

Yeah, Neutron looks good too. If none of u guys gets one or the other, I'll just wait for Sweetwater Fest so I can A/B test them.

But if I got the Neutron, I'd have to have Clavanother paint it black for me.

And I'd say "$300? No wai man, a Neutron should have NO CHARGE!"

:angrybaby:

ok I :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:36 pm

I just caved and bought a neutron. Check it out:

ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:56 pm

I don't find it. Zoom and enhance plzkthx
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 pm

U can't see it cause it's sub-atomical sized.

And he painted it black.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:32 am

Plink Floyd wrote:U can't see it cause it's sub-atomical sized.

Unless he's showing a neutron *STAR*, which is fairly massive in size. But in most cases I believe does look like that picture.

Especially if you paint it black.

BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:49 am

daw daw daw

gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 pm

hey I'm liking the neutron! I'm down..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:10 pm

I'm usurping this thread into *MY* DAW considerations.

Are there any Logic X Pro users up in here? I've begun the process of slowly upgrading DAW stuff, and I have a decision to make: I know I'm going to get a Mac of some flavor for my music PC, so the question becomes "Do I stick with Cubase and just upgrade to the latest version, or try something new - namely Logic Pro X?"

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby topcat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:49 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I'm usurping this thread into *MY* DAW considerations.

Are there any Logic X Pro users up in here? I've begun the process of slowly upgrading DAW stuff, and I have a decision to make: I know I'm going to get a Mac of some flavor for my music PC, so the question becomes "Do I stick with Cubase and just upgrade to the latest version, or try something new - namely Logic Pro X?"

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Unless you're releasing music professionally and coordinating with major studios, I don't think it matters anymore.
Logic Pro used to be the industry standard, but PC's and other software have pretty much caught up with the Mac software as far as recording goes.
I've heard from more and more professional artists who are tired of the workflow they have encountered working with Logic Pro software.

When considering changing your DAW software remember whenever you change, especially going from Cubase to Pro Logic you have a complete new learning curve to learn, and nothing inhibits creativity than trying to figure out how to record/mix/import, etc than learning a new DAW.

If you find your creativity is stagnant using Cubase than by all means, perhaps getting something else may make your workflow easier. And one alternative I've heard good reports about is Reaper.
https://www.reaper.fm/index.php

Ok, I just realized much of my comment was about Pro Tools not Logic, which I know nothing about. But for continuity I'll leave my comments intact.

I love this guy, here's a rant on Apple.
His channel is great, lots of professional tips and info on recording.

phpBB [video]
topcat

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:20 pm

I never got why people like logic. I know several that use it but the story is often that it was a matter of the studio they worked at had it so they may as well use it at home to keep things compatible.

I've been using digital performer for a very long time and I honestly have know idea why anyone wouldn't use it.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:23 pm

TopKitteh,

I don't find my creativity stifled by Cubase at all. I love Cubase (currently using ver 5.somthing), and the reasons why I'm thinking of switching are:

1) It's an Apple product, and I'm moving to an Apple computer
2) It integrates with the entire Apple ecosystem - you can use your iPhone and iPad for second screen mixer, and other second screen apps
3) Am definitely a fan of Apple products

I have nothing against Cubase at all - have used it for years and years. I just figured that if I'm moving to an Apple computer and have all manner of other Apple devices, maybe it would be smart to use Apple DAW software as well. Just kinda thinking of options at this point - not ready to make a move yet. Just putting my feelers out there.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:48 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I never got why people like logic. I know several that use it but the story is often that it was a matter of the studio they worked at had it so they may as well use it at home to keep things compatible.

I've been using digital performer for a very long time and I honestly have know idea why anyone wouldn't use it.

Logic seems to be popular, and surely there's a reason for that. I never heard of Digital Performer, but I'm definitely going to do my due diligence on all my options.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 pm

My interest, you haz it. I'm still planning to check out Bitwig, but I'd like to hear about others.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:41 am

selfinflikted wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I kind of think the "best DAW" these days is the one that you can get used to and like the workflow.

A quick skim of reviews seems to suggest that Logic might be more "Apple standard" in workflow and if you are all about all things Apple that might make a difference. I still wouldn't commit personally without some time on a trial demo though.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:48 am

Si, you're saying that cubase is an apple product? Did they buy them?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 pm

soundwave106 wrote:I kind of think the "best DAW" these days is the one that you can get used to and like the workflow.

Bingo!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:24 pm

I would stick with Cubase, honestly, if you are used to it and it doesn't get in the way of your music.

I tried to get Logic Pro X years ago when I bought my Mac (and that just tells you how it hasn't been updated since), and I was unsuccessful getting it from the Apple Store at the time, and even calls over the phone didn't resolve it. So I never tried it. I've been running Reaper and have been pretty happy with it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 am

I started using Cubase on a PC back around Cubase SL/SX. I upgraded several times over the years and am currently sitting at 7.5. I bought a MacBook Pro a couple of years ago and bought Logic Pro X at the same time. I had about 3 CDs worth of original stuff recorded in Cubase and am still trying to figure out a way to port them over to Logic. I am running Cubase on my MacBook and opening up the files (in some cases the songs have lost the links to the original audio files or lost connection with a VST that I used on the PC but don't have on the Mac. I really loved the Cubase workflow and Logic is not too far off base from it. I watched a series of tutorials over at MacProVideo.com that got me up and running in no time in Logic, MainStage, and GarageBand. Another thing to note is Apple has not once asked me to spend any more money to upgrade Logic Pro (or Mainstage, or GB). Steinberg, on the other hand, is wanting another $200 to upgrade my 7.5 to 9.5 IIRC. If you factor in all the money I've thrown at Steinberg over the years to keep it current (and I have not upgraded every time. Usually I'll skip one or two versions before I upgrade) I've probably got $1500-2000 invested in it. I really love some of the Steinberg VSTs (HALion Sonic has most of the Yamaha Motif sound sets, PadShop Pro and Retrologue are awesome). On the other hand, Logic has some really awesome VSTs as well. Alchemy is a monster and the rest are no slouches at all. Brilliant stuff.

So to wrap this mega-post up, anything new I start to write I'm using Logic now. I'm still trying to port my old stuff over and may just finish them in Cubase and say to hell with it. The workflow in Logic is very similar to Cubase. I have Ableton and can't seem to wrap my head around it - even though I totally understand the concepts it uses. One last observation - maybe it's just me, but I swear Cubase seemed to run much better on my PC than it does on my MacBook for some reason. Both had i7s and 16GB RAM and SSDs so I don't understand why but it seems that way to me anyway.
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Si, you're saying that cubase is an apple product? Did they buy them?

Nah. Logic is the Apple product. Cubase is Steinberg all day long :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Christian, soundwave, and Midi;

Thanks for the input. I really kinda want to try something new, but like I said I have zero issue with Cubase. It's going to be a while before I can upgrade the computer, so I have plenty of time to mull this over. I'm gonna watch some DAW stuffs on the YouTubes this weekend to try to at least narrow down some choices.
selfinflikted
Down in it

PreviousNext

Return to KSS