Jam With Tapes™

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Jam With Tapes™

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:05 am

Smart, looks like you just made her day. :grin:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Topcat, that demo you posted isn't bad, but this is much better (with the 488). And he only used 6 of the 8 tracks:

I'm sure the mastering helped bring out the bass, but it's certainly not lacking compared to what you'd expect from such a small tape format.

Also, I don't really have a budget. I'll have to sell something first to start saving up for it... the ongoing price for both the 488 and the 688 seems to be $500. 688 can easily go up to about $650.

Reverb.com does have a 688 that needs a bias adjustment (which I think I can do) and is in overall poor condition but it had the belt replaced so at least it should work for a while. They want 250 for it. Plus another $80 for shipping... :/
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby topcat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Wow that sounds great, the bottom end is clean and tight but very good.
Yes, I've heard some great demos on both machines(488&688).
I saw the Reverb ads as well, and that particular one with the bias problem.
I always worry when buying a recorder when it's in poor shape because it usually means it's been passed around from buyer to buyer, and most likely not taken care of. And one problem may be indicative of many more.

These decks are a lot of fun to use, user friendly and have a great sound.
I've had no problems finding new Maxell XLII c90 or c60 tapes on ebay.

You may have already seen this site but thought I'd put it up just in case. Shows all the specs for the 488&MKII.
I think the MKII has 2 XLR inputs where the 488 has 1/4 inputs. But you'd probably be using your own preamp anyway so the XLR inputs wouldn't be needed. I think the MKII also has an upgraded screen featuring colored meters. :)
http://homerecording.com/tas488.html
topcat

Postby akliner » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Here's some of the stuff I've been working on.

http://www.alexkliner.com
HI I AM JONATHAN TAYLOR THOMAS YOU MAY REMEMBER ME FROM TV'S HOME IMPROVEMENT I AM HERE TO FUCK UP YOUR DAY LOLROFLOMGIDKMYBFFJILL/ROSEBBQ

I AM SUPER-SERIOUS.

Yamaha S90ES Korg Triton Extreme 61; R3 MPC 1000

My music is misguided
akliner

Postby topcat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:58 pm

My favorites:
Watch party(Opening/Closing)
At the Doctor
Bass Case
Goofy Elf
Gina Groove
Gina In Space(theme reminded me a bit of Cinemax's (I think) Emanuelle :love: in (fill in the space)
Gina Runs for it
Learning a lesson

Assorted Other Work...(to be continued)

Great work, I imagine it's a lot of pressure on yourself coming up with music written to conform to a format in film.
I remember reading an interview with Danny Elfman(who I'm a fan of since the Oingo Boingo days), where he explained his process of working. Very interesting! :thu:
It's not easy getting work in this type of media, so you should be very proud of yourself for achieving it.
topcat

Postby topcat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:38 pm

Kind of quiet around here.
Last call for music releases by moi for awhile.

This song was written in late summer during the height of the US election campaigning. And really the song is about politicians everywhere in the world.

One of the reasons it's titled Stormy Weather is we were having one of those horrific lightning storms here in Florida.
It was late afternoon and I opened the dining room door to my enclosed porch to close the screens to stop any downpour that might come in. As soon as I did a crack of lightning as loud as I've ever hear crashed and I felt like I'd been hit. It stunned me, and for the rest of the afternoon my left arm felt strange and a bit tingly. I was afraid I'd been hit by the lightning's residule impact, and was tempted to go to ER, but you know how that is.. put it off and the feeling gradually subsided.
Later in the evening I went into my studio and fired up my KingKorg and I immediately came up with a pad and melody.
The next day I reworked it cause it wasn't organized and started with a few lyrics.
By the end of the week I'd written all of the lyrics and felt this deep sense that I HAD to finish the vocals by the end of the week. Fighting a bad case of sinus, feeling weak I struggled and finally finished the vocals by Friday.
Within 5 days after finishing the vocals my mother had fallen during the night. I found her on the floor of her apartment delirious and badly dehyrdated so we called 911 and she was rushed to the hospital.
The doctors and nursing staff as well as my wife and I all agreed she could no longer live alone.
So before she was released 4 days later we had to tear down all of my studio equipment and setup a bedroom for her to live with us.

That Friday, just a week before she moved in was the last time I could do vocals or seriously work in a studio for nearly 2 years.

I've done odds and bits of instrumental ideas while I had my 2 synths and desktop in the corner of my bedroom, good seeds for future songs I guess.

Hoping to move in a bit of new direction by adding guitar and make things a bit more organic than I have in the past.
Sorry for the long back story, but it's part of the song's "making of". :)

topcat

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:57 pm

I was literally just about to move your post to this forum :lol: I like a cat that cleans up after himself.

I have been pissed since I moved to apollo beach! I don't get the daily summer thunderstorms at all. I think it has something to do with the way the water moves in the bay, air currents, humidity etc. North and east Tampa gets all the rain and weather. I like the rain..

I'm trying to get over a sinus infection myself. Man you got woes too..

So .. did you add the audio to the front of the song? or was that some kind of live thing? It's really cool, I like that kind of stuff. That's really cool though.. reminds me a lot of like Aldo Nova or something.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby topcat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:37 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I was literally just about to move your post to this forum :lol: I like a cat that cleans up after himself.

I have been pissed since I moved to apollo beach! I don't get the daily summer thunderstorms at all. I think it has something to do with the way the water moves in the bay, air currents, humidity etc. North and east Tampa gets all the rain and weather. I like the rain..

I'm trying to get over a sinus infection myself. Man you got woes too..

So .. did you add the audio to the front of the song? or was that some kind of live thing? It's really cool, I like that kind of stuff. That's really cool though.. reminds me a lot of like Aldo Nova or something.

Oh man some of those storms are EPIC!! they make me think of images of prehistoric days with extreme weather conditions while giant pterodactyls fly through the sky.
I remember when we first arrived here and I was setting up our electric with Duke Energy and the assistant asked if I'd like the option of a surge protector on my meter for $7.00 a month. When she added, you know we are the lightning capitol of the world...I replied "sign me up" lol

Yes the audio is from a double cd full of short samples(sound effects&such) which I bought in all places Walgreens years ago. I think it was in a bargain bin of cd's for $4.99. I love a deal and I've used some of the samples on several songs.
The sample I believe was people talking in a cafe, and my intent was for it to sound like people standing in line while waiting to get into a venue to hear a politician's speech.

Thank you Metro for taking time to listen and comment. :)

btw my go to remedy for sinus stuff is the Nettie Pot.. works like a charm. Only you have to make sure you boil the water first, let cool to luke warm, then use. People have gotten sick and some have died from using tap water.
topcat

Postby christianrock » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Fantastic song, TC :thu:

And please don't stop posting if you have more!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby topcat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:37 pm

christianrock wrote:Fantastic song, TC :thu:

Thank you kind sir, I will. :grin:
topcat

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:14 am

topcat wrote:

Same here, it's pissing it down outside now and I've just come in a bit soggy from a meet up in town to celebrate the life of a local character and prolific busker who passed away recently so I'm damp and feeling whistful.

Great track. Nice Alan Parsons Project vibe to it. Wouldn't have complained if it went on for another few minutes after the Friday 13th 'choo choo choo' bit. :thu:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby topcat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:54 am

Purity_Control wrote:
topcat wrote:

Same here, it's pissing it down outside now and I've just come in a bit soggy from a meet up in town to celebrate the life of a local character and prolific busker who passed away recently so I'm damp and feeling whistful.

Great track. Nice Alan Parsons Project vibe to it. Wouldn't have complained if it went on for another few minutes after the Friday 13th 'choo choo choo' bit. :thu:

Thanks Purity, glad you liked it, and love how you picked up on the choo choo bit. Didn't know it was related to Holloween 13th, it was just a improv bit I threw in to make it artsy(lol, just kidding).
Thanks again. :)
topcat

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:51 pm

topcat wrote:
Hex Converter Sector O..Metrosonus(I liked this better than the other one (exm2test), which is good and I wish you'd brought in the bit at 2:56 earlier. Of course I'm not familiar with drone type electronic music so take it for what it's worth.
Hex Converter is much more full in my opinion.. me likes this one.

I tend to do... "album experiences" for lack of a better word :lol: Everything I do tends to be long. It's the kind of stuff you can put on and either listen to or not. True story, I made a tiny living off of really long background CDs for haunted houses in the 90's and an even smaller one off my band camp account :lol: There are people who like background, environmental ambient music. I'm really in my own genre lol, I don't know anyone else whose albums are 100 minutes long across 4-5 songs.

Long story short, all of my stuff tends to be slower paced. Most of your rock etc music is 3mins average, I kind of build up things, let it come and go, evolve and change over 20 mins.

But thank you and thank you.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Cool Metro, anyone who makes a bit of money from their art has my deep respect :thu:

I've only ever lost money on music... don't regret it of course, as I see it as an investment in my sanity :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:28 am

:wave:

Presented here at no charge for your enjoyment:

The KnobCon Allstars™ playing Just For The Cause Live @ the STG Sound Labs™ Studio A in September 2017

:wave:
ClavAnother

Postby topcat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:49 am

I really like the vibe you guys get Clav. Love the organ and clav sounds, drummer is great, so are the bass and guitar players.
I like the organic feel to your music, very cool. And I like the ending with some synth action, I can assume since it faded out there is a part 2?
:thu:

edit: I just realized this was from 2017, so it's not the new players you just jammed with, but great none the less.
Is this the same STG in Chicago? When I had my dot.com unit, I bought the pre lawsuit module from him. Great filter!
topcat

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Did you guys rehearse? You totally sounded like one of those pro, fancy banquet jazz bands.
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:29 pm

:grin: well Retro, we are all pros

So yes TC, it's is Mr The Suit™ From STG Sound Labs. This is the last song from a live in studio improv album that we made about a week after KnobCon 6 in September.

The line up for this track is

ClavAnother on CP70, Fender Rhodes, and Moog Liberation
STG on Hammond B3 (he played the bass with his left foot and his left hand)
MootBooxle on guitar
Corey Flanigan on Drums
Nathan Hahn on guitar
Alexis Rogers on guitar

This performance is loosely based on a one of my songs called Just For The Cause which can be heard here:

Just For The Cause
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:30 pm

I did explain to them what chords I was playing immediately before we recorded this, although I was improvising all of my playing too
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Also I suspect that any clav you hear is one of the army of guitars. Suits clav, along with mine, is on my bench in my shop for a rebuild
ClavAnother

PreviousNext

Return to KSS