The gear demo thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The gear demo thread.

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 pm

I think EP is srsly missing. He hasn't poasted in almost two months.

Someone should check in with him on the Facebook.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Wow has it been that long?! :eek:

I'll see if he's around..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:34 pm

I can't tell what his last log in on facebook was.. I sent him a message though.. doesn't Clav or SI have his number? someone should give him a ring or text
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:38 pm

He said he's ok and just busy with business.. he said he'll check in laters.
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:47 am

As long as EP is fine, then I guess we can get back to synth stuff. Here is my modular droning for no good reason other than I wanted to know that it still works after travelling out of state with it.

ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:10 pm

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Accent-Module-Piano-Sound/dp/B01CA1FTCU/ref=pd_day0_hl_0_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01CA1FTCU&pd_rd_r=f9fc1d5a-579a-11e9-ba44-5b53f8bf2b96&pd_rd_w=h5R9X&pd_rd_wg=DIgHM&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=2PXKAD9T5RY0QC231P2R&psc=1&refRID=2PXKAD9T5RY0QC231P2R

Totally went under my radar, although it's kind of not my thing, but it might be yours hence why i'm posting it. M_Audio has their own piano module.. really neat and not too $$ if you just need a box to throw on your controller..

-Inputs / Outputs
USB Port: Connect to a USB MIDI controller keyboard to play the sounds on the Accent Module
MIDI In: Connect this to the MIDI output of an external MIDI keyboard using a standard MIDI cable
Main Out: use a 1/4” line-level outputs to connect to powered speakers or an amplifier system
Aux Input: Use a 1/8” stereo cable to connect an external audio source here, such as a drum machine, media player, or CD player
Kensington Lock: Attach a security cable to the Accent Module

-Voices (Sounds): 20
Piano
Electric Piano
MKII Smooth
Clavinet
Clean Organ
Overdriven Organ
String Staccato
String Pizzicato
String Pad
Harmonica
Fretless Bass
Electric Bass
Clean Guitar
Synth String
Synth Lead
Synth Brass
Synth Bass
Percussive Pad
Percussive Synth
Drums
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:05 am

I went to Florida at the beginning of April and had some interesting experiences. One of them was having the chance to play some nice vintage synths like the Matrix 12. I also had the pleasure of hearing a Rev 2 Prophet 5 and while it is a wonderful synth, it didn't do the one thing I have been longing to hear ever since I sold my Prophet 10. I am speaking of the quirk where it will shift to the new parameter values audibly while changing presets as well as when switching from unison to poly while portamento is engaged. The Rev 2 Prophet 5 stops the audio when making these changes. So it appears to be a curtis chip thing. Luckily there was a Rev 3 P5 as well as a P10 there too :grin:

The next thing I did was spend an hour playing both P5s and loving every second of it. Moot Booxle happened to be running tape, so the audio of the whole thing exists. Unfortunately my video camera battery died after 3 min, so there isn't any vid feed.

Anyway, in case you are interested, here is me having fun and living the way I wish to live every day. I think it's cool enough to post, but as I listen I have been feeling compelled to add more tracks like drums bass guitar and synth and vocoder. I really can't decide.

ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Man, I SO wanted a P5 when they came out. It was outgassed only by the MemoryMoog.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:33 am

man that video has given my nothing but trouble uploading. it failed twenty times, then it finally went up but instead of the 42 minutes it should be, it stops after 4. it's a real shame because it sounds cool.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:11 pm

Where did you get to down here? I know we used to have a killer vintage synth museum in Orlando that I never got to see :cry: apparently it closed in the midst of a divorce.
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

I was with Moot Booxle in Fort Myers. It was a short trip so I didn't look you up.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:41 pm

Nice fat sounds, Clav.

I miss being in Florida. Some people want to leave the state, I want to go back... never wanted to leave in the first place :)

Also: M-Audio Accent. Sounds very... GM. Except not as good as those Roland GM midi units... JMO. I had some expectations from this, which is probably why I"m a bit disappointed.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon May 06, 2019 11:43 am

I"m surprised in 2019 how GM hangs like the grim spectre of death over all of the keyboards, modules and even VSTs.

It's not worth it to me to put money into VST romplers as almost all of them are just GM sound sets. I"m still happier with just good ol sample cds "lol" and honestly you can get many good 1R rompler units for what a VST will cost you these days.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:35 pm

MetroSonus wrote:It's not worth it to me to put money into VST romplers as almost all of them are just GM sound sets. I"m still happier with just good ol sample cds "lol" and honestly you can get many good 1R rompler units for what a VST will cost you these days.

In some ways it's a bit odd that there is no really good "VST Rompler". But in some ways it's not, as the "live band" that tended to use this sort of thing is kinda a dead concept these days, and not something who would use studio-specific tools like VSTs in the first place. Thus, the ROMpler as a concept probably peaked 8 years ago with the Kronos.

VST samples sound better as a whole, but for good VST samples, you tend to pay for each instrument, which kind of limits your scope. Or, they tend to be a more specialized collection, like Omnisphere 2.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Mon May 06, 2019 1:50 pm

yeah.. I was thinking along the same lines.. a woodwind sample pack, vst or otherwise, is more now than a old rack synth.

My interest though lies in the S+S of the older romplers and I just don't see it, the way I want it anyway, in any other form. It's kind of moot really though as I can do the same thing with samples, VSTs, effects and what not in Live. I just miss that magic experience of dialing through presets and hearing some pretty far out stuff.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:28 am

The nice thing is the ROMpler module still exists (Roland Integra 7 module) and I think one of the reasons is that you can dial through patches so quickly. Good when you don't have as good of a feel for what to add to a track.

So far I think the M-Audio Accent actually sounded worse than a Roland JV1010, a 20 year old ROMpler that you can pick up for low $100ish prices or so these days. It looks like Sweetwater blew out their stock for $50 late last year which kind of shows the success of that product.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Isn't Komplete the standard for "VST ROMpler"?

And has it been 8 years since the Kronos was launched?? Goodness grief. And the price still hasn't come down :eek:
Good ROMplers are pricey - Kronos, Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Montage. They all sound good but if I could buy one I *think* I'd get the Kurz - well, I dunno, the Korg with all its synth engines is probably the best value still. But the Kurz sounds soooo good! And to be fair, so does the Korg and the Montage too.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 am

Have you guys seen this? It looks pretty cool.. apparently novation has a new synth out too
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:54 pm

The Novation Summit has intrigued me a bit... the demos seem to have less of the harshness I remember from the Peak. Perhaps they made a few changes to the osc code or some of the patches. Dual filter architectures always intrigue me as well (apparently they extended the 24dB filter design they had before into 2 12dB multimode filters for this synth, which is cool). However, most importantly: FIVE OCTAVE KEYBOARD!!! :cool:

There's also a new synth from a Modal consultant or something called the UDO Super 6 that sounds like it covers basic analog hybrid needs very well at a very high price, like the Modals. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri May 10, 2019 5:21 pm

The Korg Nub-Ass. Everytime I read it.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

PreviousNext

Return to KSS