The Studio Show Off & Build Thread

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Studio Show Off & Build Thread

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:57 am

MetroSonus wrote:I had a wut the moment years ago too greg :lol:

I actually think if you can pull it off, it makes tons of F in sense and is right bloody genius.

Thank you. Again, I can't handle floor spaghetti, how do you vacuum :idk:

ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:56 am

when i was at peak gear my studio had cable snakes and patch bays. i used velcro zip ties to keep power, midi/data, and audio separate.

my fav setups from large studios are when the cables go under the floor and into wall panels for mics and lead to high end patch bays.

a couple months ago i moved all my guitar, bass, and synth pedals off the floor for the same reason you mentioned clav.

my room is small and most of my cables just hug the baseboards now under my 3 synths :drink:
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Yes hidden cabling is nice and neat, but my studio configuration needs to be able to change at any point, so exposed cabling is necessary. Wall jacks make for floor spaghetti.

Floor spaghetti.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:52 am

SYNTH SPAGHETTI

ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:13 pm

floor spaghetti...

What don't you have dude, seriously? :lol: Amazing as always. Our very own clav people!
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Reconfigured last night. Had to remove the SQ1 to make space for the Sea Devils Filter. For now there are lots of empty spaces which allow for fingers to get in there, so that's actually cool. Now I'm just waiting for the STG vco to ship so I can start a collection of those. I think six will do.

ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:40 pm

danggggggg someone got bitten by the modular bug. :grin: NICE
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 am

dude I think he was patient zero :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Tue May 07, 2019 7:50 pm

I think Clav will need a larger basement for all those modules :eek:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:14 pm

Had a mini splurge for a few bits I've been wanting for a while.

Couple of Doepfer modules:

Mainly want this one for irregular divisions, can pull those out of a sequencer but it uses up a whole sequencer just to get one, this will do 4 with no trouble.

Probably a good match for it, and different to any other filters I have.

And this is just very very sweet, dunno if it's new but I couldn't find one anyhere a month or two back, last one that came up on Ebay went before I got home from work to get the notification... bagged this one dead quick and now find everyone has one in stock when I google for the pic. :facepalm:

Already have an emulation on my Boss CE-20, gonna be lush to double up... P6 loves chorus.

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:24 pm

Interesting, I didn't know Roland re-released the DC-2. I have the original pedal (oldest piece of gear I have :) ) and the DC-2 effect is IMHO awesome. However, the original pedal was designed for guitar, so it has limited headroom (which you can use to your advantage to insert soft clipping, but still) and is not designed for stereo signals. Might be worth the upgrade here...
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:29 pm

I dont know where to put this lol.. but I bought a kit to hook up and old HDD to my laptop and I went through a lot of old files and stuff..

I still have the Albino 3 installer and key. I like it.. the red is kind of hard to get around, but I don't think I really spent enough time with it. But glad I still have the files. I reinstalled it and well get around to playing with it.

Z3tA+, same.. I actually like the sound of it. It's not bad, much better and enjoyable to play with than I rememebr.. however, I don't know if it's the interface, but it's kind of a turn off. it's hard to read and I don't really feel like playing with it or exploring it much.

Oh well lol. I brought up a bunch of saved sessions and had fun noodling an djing around last night :wave:
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:30 pm

I bought my launch pad and control XL as a pick me up when my wife moved out.. they never worked, so I took the launch pad back but kept the control xl since it worked as a midi controller.

Last night, still playing around with my HDD, I can't understand why it won't work in Live 8. I had Live 9 intro or lite installed I think, that it came with the disk. So anyway, I find out that the launch pad and and control won't work with any Live version other than 10 and I had a key in Ableton for Live Lite 10.

Well it was free and it suits my needs as far as I go.. so :snax: with the exception of autopan.. I don't know why such an old and simple effect is missing in Live Lite 10.. :idk: There's a freebie autopan online tho.. ugh. nickle and dime shiznit.

Now that I got it up and running, I need to buy another launchpad. It's going to take a looooooooooong time organizing and getting my samples and mp3's together off the old HDD, onto my laptop and my giant back up drive. Digital housekeeping is the worst.

But anyway, :wave: this is the most fun musics has been in a long time.
MetroSonus

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:35 pm

soundwave106 wrote:Interesting, I didn't know Roland re-released the DC-2. I have the original pedal (oldest piece of gear I have :) ) and the DC-2 effect is IMHO awesome. However, the original pedal was designed for guitar, so it has limited headroom (which you can use to your advantage to insert soft clipping, but still) and is not designed for stereo signals. Might be worth the upgrade here...

I was going to try it out over the weekend and maybe do a demo... doesn't take the same adapter though as my other two Boss pedals (the double ones).
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Purity_Control wrote:
soundwave106 wrote:Interesting, I didn't know Roland re-released the DC-2. I have the original pedal (oldest piece of gear I have :) ) and the DC-2 effect is IMHO awesome. However, the original pedal was designed for guitar, so it has limited headroom (which you can use to your advantage to insert soft clipping, but still) and is not designed for stereo signals. Might be worth the upgrade here...

I was going to try it out over the weekend and maybe do a demo... doesn't take the same adapter though as my other two Boss pedals (the double ones).

I recently picked up the behringer version of that thing. Haven't tried it out yet though, too many other projects going on
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 pm

I mentioned studio re-jigging in Hai Guyz! but that's the wrong place. :) The nutshell of the studio re-jigging so far:

A) I am replacing the Linnstrument with a K-Board Pro 4. Not that the Linnstrument is bad, but it is very geetar oriented in its default voicings, and I'm not so hot at playing geetar skills wise. The K-Board Pro 4 is more familiar to us piano playin' types. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of instruments that work that well with MPE -- might look at getting the was-FXpansion-now-reworked-Roli Cypher2, which sounds to my ears the nicest of the MPE capable synths I've heard demos of. U-he's VSTs like Diva work *very* well with this board, although they are not fully MPE compatible, they have mappings that work very well. The KBP4 also is handy with poly-AT capable hardware stuff like the Prophet 6 -- not quite as nice as full-on MPE, but still nice.

B) Haven't tried it yet, but I quite recently added a 16 voice Korg Prologue to the arsenal. Mostly because it was a very nice price (recent price drops + B-Stock + GC = roughly $1Kish), the tuning issues seem to be fixed, and there's now a custom oscillator / FX section now for their digital side. The IT nerd side of me wants to see if I can take that SDK and get some code I hacked into Will Pirkle's synth project into this synth. (Yeah, I know. NERD!!!!!!! Kudos to Korg for acknowledging the IT nerds into synths by releasing an SDK, shame for the shit documentation but I'm used to that by now :) ).

C) The modular is currently getting "reworked" with more of a focus on, for a start, being an Intellijel Atlantis 4 voice. The Atlantis has been Most Impressive module as far as Euro goes in the latest recordings. So why not? (I'll be curious to combine the Atlantis 4-voice with the E370 at some point.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:02 pm

That Prologue looks nice. I"m glad someone here got it so we can have a good idea of what it's like.

And I'm mighty curious about what you can do with that SDK. In fact, I'll try and see what other people are doing...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:32 am

christianrock wrote:And I'm mighty curious about what you can do with that SDK. In fact, I'll try and see what other people are doing...

So far most people are charging for the oscillators but someone released a few free ones and another copied a few of the algorithms from Mutable Instrument's Plaits Eurorack module. We'll see how it works out, hopefully it's nice. :cool:

I forgot I had purchased DCAM Synth Squad way back then, and there was a nice upgrade price for previous owners, so the MPE oriented VSTs Cypher2 and Strobe2 were obtained today too. :cool:
Last edited by soundwave106 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:16 pm

I was looking at my modular yesterday and realized that I now have almost enough to make a 4 voice poly. I just need to get another oscillator. Granted my four filters are all different, but still...
ClavAnother

Previous

Return to KSS