The Studio Show Off & Build Thread

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Studio Show Off & Build Thread

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:52 pm

:thu:

We spent a week at my home after KnobCon. He's super talented! And he's such a great guy. I'm looking into going to his studio for a week next spring.

Anyway, the behringer is definitely a winner! And at that price, it should be a simple addition to any rig. There are one or two issues with the prototype, but I think it can be ironed out quickly. The thing is made of metal - so it's way more robust than a vintage Arp!
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:38 am

ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Clav's studio is droolworthy.

So is that Behringer (and I didn't use to say that often back in ye olde days...)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 pm

Clav's studio is droolworthy.

Still needs a cat :lol:

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Clav has been the king for a while :lol:

Quick Q.. My son moved back into his old room and we're in the middle of clearing out my old room (the red one). I've been kinda knocking around ideas for a new desk and the one thing that has always frustrated me is storage. I tend to be more into the groove boxes, desktop synths etc and I've had no where to put them.

I thought about buying one of these drawer units and then running a table top over it for a desk. I went to ikea and measured the drawers are both two and three inches in depth. I measured my launch pad XL (the mixer thingy) and it's not even two inches so I know it'll fit.

Do any of you guys have drum machines, electribes ect you could measure the height on for me? Just so I have a rough idea. I figure I'm good with pedals, etc but just curious what the random average desktop kit height is.

Thank you a mucho! and happy new year!

MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:57 pm

Purity_Control wrote:Clav's studio is droolworthy.

Still needs a cat :lol:

Clav's studio has two synth cats

ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:53 pm

OMG HIS STUDIO IS NOW PERFECT

*faints with hand on forehead*

*recovers*

What are the cat's names? I *love* the Russian Greys, I had one that was so awesome.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:06 pm

I needs to visit this jam space.

JAM SPACE.

NEEDS.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:53 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I needs to visit this jam space.

JAM SPACE.

NEEDS.

You wood loving it
ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Awww studio kitties!

You should talk about them more Clav, I had never realised!
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:50 pm

Just had a rather pleasnant surprise.

Finally got my act together to ring manikin yesterday re memotron that won't boot up.

They suggested pulling out the memory card from the back (which isn't necessary but can hold some data in addition to the CD-ROM drive.

Just did it and it booted first time and dead fast, not slooowly like the way it was before it went entirely.

F*ck knows what's been going on there, need to set it up again now and see if whatever's made it ok sticks!
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:23 am

Another minor project completed. It feels good to accomplish things.

ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Purity_Control wrote:Just had a rather pleasnant surprise.

Finally got my act together to ring manikin yesterday re memotron that won't boot up.

They suggested pulling out the memory card from the back (which isn't necessary but can hold some data in addition to the CD-ROM drive.

Just did it and it booted first time and dead fast, not slooowly like the way it was before it went entirely.

F*ck knows what's been going on there, need to set it up again now and see if whatever's made it ok sticks!

Believe it or not, everything under the hood is just a computer. Sometimes the ol turn it on and off again thing does the trick. I just had that happen to my laptop actually.. I had a SD card go bad and it fouled up the entire computer. I pulled it, rebooted and was back to normal.

Clav, are you playing the Boog with the pedals? That's pretty cool mang. :smoke:
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:22 pm

MetroSonus wrote:

Clav, are you playing the Boog with the pedals? That's pretty cool mang. :smoke:

Yeah, well I picked up a second one because it was only $229, and I figure eventually I might get a few more because I have an Expressionist. So for now, there is one in my modular rig, and the other I modified to go on a mic stand for playing guitar and the pedals. :cool:
ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Clav, can I pick your brains on how you manage your power cables in that setup?

I've been working on rationalising my layout and getting as much as possible off the floor for a while, instrument cables are fine as there's relatively few long runs and I'm moving towards a similar setup to your with them going across the roof - nice sturdy crossbeam in my attic is dead handy for that.

Power cables seem a bit trickier as there's a lot more, curently have 3 extensions and a lot of double adapters which is a fucking mess, though I've mounted all off the floor to make life a bit easier.

Last year I picked up a rackmount power strip to get rid of the extension sockets under the moduler, handy but rather annoyingly the power input cable comes in the side which would be fine in a proper rack, not so much the home made thing the doepfer sits in.

Next best idea would be to get maybe two or 3 of those, maybe one with the euro plug sockets, then mount them in a rack frame I have sat around.

Wondering though how you've worked this as there's clearly a lot of kit there, more than my studio.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Ok, when I built the room I put a total of Five outlet boxes in the live room. Four of them are actually near the ceiling, two each in the long walls, and the last one is low and in a remote area.

Currently the modular and the a-frame synth rack are powered from the fifth outlet. This is distributed by a pair of rackmount conditioners.

The main jam space has one outlet handling the PA, ISO booth, and Bass guitar amp which is under a third rackmount conditioner, another is handling the main guitar rig, the other wall has one outlet powering the guitar pedal board, the Rhodes and clav and some misc stuff, and the final outlet handles the vintage electro mech/analog keys rig. This last bit is on a power strip.

I am the one that wired the electricity in the room, so I know it's done correctly and it's all on a single breaker. One of my PA power amps is upgraded and way more power than I need so sometimes if the whole place is lit up and I switch on that amp, the breaker will open.

Otherwise everything runs quite smoothly.
ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:22 am

i just realized the cables are on the ceiling

that is so random lol
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:18 am

gregwar wrote:i just realized the cables are on the ceiling

that is so random lol

Ceiling cable is one of by best designs. There is a matrix of hooks so routing is flexible. Spaghetti on the floor is a horrible way to live.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:16 am

I had a wut the moment years ago too greg :lol:

I actually think if you can pull it off, it makes tons of F in sense and is right bloody genius.
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 am

christianrock wrote:OMG HIS STUDIO IS NOW PERFECT
*faints with hand on forehead*
*recovers*
What are the cat's names? I *love* the Russian Greys, I had one that was so awesome.

Purity_Control wrote:Awww studio kitties!
You should talk about them more Clav, I had never realised!

Well, what's a studio without studio cats??

These two are my tenth and eleventh cats that I've had since I got my first one at 10yrs old. Lexi is the Russian Blue, and she is a female that was picked because she so closely resembles a huge male Russian blue I had (Freq) who was an absolute bad ass. When I went to the shelter after seeing a picture of her, she was in a large cage with a cat tree and a half dozen other kittens. She was flying up and down the cat tree knocking kitties off the ledges and just being a menace. I brought her home a few minutes later.

Wilson is the Maine Coon mix who is a male version of my first cat who was an amazing female that looks just like him.

They both follow me into the studio and love hanging out while I work. They will often be found lounging on a Leslie or a PA cab right by the ceiling. If I'm playing synths they just chill out for hours, if I'm mixing they constantly put a paw up on me and demand attention or just sleep under the synths. If I have a full band jammin they head for the hills. When I am doing repairs or restoration work, Lexi will often play the piano.

When they were kittens they would climb the carpeted walls like spodermen. I think they will be seven and six years old this spring. I love them a whole super a lot.

I dare say Lexi synths more than EP these days, which is a shame because he has talented and good is music a bunch.

^She should have hit start on that CR8000
ClavAnother

PreviousNext

Return to KSS