The Photography Thread

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Yes, great CR pics as usual. Would view again.

:like:

Purity_Control wrote:Hiking is fairly cheap here, lots of nice shortish walks around
A brit once told me that English walking trails are protected by law so that a property owner cannot obstruct any of them, no matter where on the owner's land they happen to be. Said brit further claimed that hikers have organised so as to make sure all the trails are regularly travelled and logged, because if they aren't the Baron can claim they have become disused and close them to the public. Treu?

PC would have to weigh in on this one, but I think it's true. I know TV is TV and I have quite a much misguided perception of middle class British life, given such, however, it's come up on a few shows I've seen where the home or land owner has cried fowl and taken to obstructing said walkways. From what I gather, they're actually prehistoric footpaths and in a somewhat aboriginal concept, they belong to the land and the collective people and not the land owner. :smoke:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:01 pm

So I gotta brag for a minute. I"m blessed, what can I say.

This guy had a film camera for sale on Facebook and he said he had 7 lenses. That got me interested of course. I saw that one of them was the Pentax-M 100mm f/3.5, an old lens that is quite rare. He also had a 50mm f/1.4, and a 200mm f4, along with a 24mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f4 macro, all old manual lenses. The other two I couldn't tell from the crappy cell phone picture.

With the exception of the 50mm f4 macro, which I already have, all the other lenses had fungus... and the 24mm f/2.8, possibly the most expensive of the listed lenses, had balsam separation - which is unfixable unless you put new glass from a donor lens into that lens group. But not announced in the ad, there was a Pentax 50mm f/1.2 (that's right, not f:2 or f1:2 but f1:1.2). And a Pentax-M 100 f/2.8 lens, a lens not so rare but of very good reputation. These two lenses had a bit of fungus but it was on the edges so it doesn't really affect image quality, and it can be cleaned on both lenses.

I also brought batteries to test the camera, which is a Pentax LX - the only pro level film camera they produced, and they made it for over 20 years. Lots of people in the Pentax forums call it the best film camera in existence, but I digress...
Anyway, the light meter worked (yay! best light meter in existence, and that is a fact, you can shoot a dark scene for several hours with it, it meters in pitch dark conditions). But the shutter was sticking and it needed new light seals.

So I offered the guy half the price (100 bucks) since most lenses had fungus and the camera wasn't working. He took it. I gave him the fungus-covered lens cases since he said he had a trash can.

And I now have a really nice 50mm f/1.2 lens that I'll clean up one day, but for now the images are completely fine. Super sharp stopped down, best bokeh (out of focus rendering) evah. As a bonus, the 50mm f/1.4 lens is super clean, it probably wasn't ever used much. I'll get to sell that and the 50mm f4 macro and pay for the whole lot... oh and that 100mm f/2.8 lens is SUPER nice.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 pm

This is the SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.2 at f/1.2

And this is the same thing at f8

Another at f8

Another at f1.2

And here's my "fungus farm" in the sun... to kill the fungus.

This is the 100mm f/2.8

And the 200mm f4
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:29 am

Nice find and photos. :)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Yeah that 50 1.2 is opening up some possibilities that I didn't know existed... that lens and the old film Olympus 50 1.2 lens are some of the best glass ever produced...
I mean, when I shoot something casual like leaves on my lunch walk, and they turn out like this, it really raises the level of what I'm able to achieve...

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:11 pm

ClavAnother

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.