Other people's music

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Other people's music

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Posted purely for gear pron, best guess Yamaha CS80 and Moog Micromoog, or very similar models.

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:52 am

ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:11 pm

Purity_Control wrote:Posted purely for gear pron, best guess Yamaha CS80 and Moog Micromoog, or very similar models.

.The singer wants to sound like Peter Gabriel, and I can't blame him.
.So Freddie Mercury shaved the mustache, dyed his hair and played synth with them? Who knew?
.Back then video directors didn't care that drummers did Muppet impressions, I guess
.The guitar player is too serious and I barely hear any guitar, sounds familiar :lol:
.I like it :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:14 am

christianrock wrote:The singer wants to sound like Peter Gabriel, and I can't blame him.

After the Fire's best known in the US for a cover of Falco's Der Kommissar (After the Fire's cover interestingly enough didn't do well at all in the UK).

There is no synth pron in any version of Der Kommissar I can find, so it's not worth linking to. :tounge:

The band I know of with the strongest "I Can't Believe it's not Peter Gabriel" singer is the prog band Marillion, particularly the early Marillion where they were heavily influenced by Peter Gabriel-era Genesis.

Because there *is* synth pron (not enough, but it's there) in this live video, it is worth linking to. :cool:

(There's also a few clearer shots of what looks like a pretty nice live synth setup in the video for their biggest hit, but this song is not as Peter Gabriel like.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:50 am

TBH I only know of ATF at all because a chap at the church I went to when I was like 12 was well into them.

They don't seem to have had a great deal of success.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
christianrock wrote:The singer wants to sound like Peter Gabriel, and I can't blame him.

After the Fire's best known in the US for a cover of Falco's Der Kommissar (After the Fire's cover interestingly enough didn't do well at all in the UK).

There is no synth pron in any version of Der Kommissar I can find, so it's not worth linking to. :tounge:

The band I know of with the strongest "I Can't Believe it's not Peter Gabriel" singer is the prog band Marillion, particularly the early Marillion where they were heavily influenced by Peter Gabriel-era Genesis.

Because there *is* synth pron (not enough, but it's there) in this live video, it is worth linking to. :cool:

(There's also a few clearer shots of what looks like a pretty nice live synth setup in the video for their biggest hit, but this song is not as Peter Gabriel like.)

Ah yes, I was very into Marillion in the 80s. :thu: :kraftwerk: :smoke:

But I could always hear the distinction in FIsh's voice so I wasn't always thinking "OMG IT"S PETER"

(That and, very ironically, I got into Marillion first and Peter Gabriel later... :freak: )
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 am

ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 am

ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:54 am

so like this?

ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:56 am

ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:52 am

ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:43 am

Weirdest thing I ever saw played first hand was some (i think) Bulgarian Bagpipes, they were made from a whole sheep and still had the body shape to it... so he was there with this dead sheep balloon under his arm. :freak:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:24 pm

Here's Gil Trythall being awesome in the 80s

ClavAnother

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.