Les Holidays

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Les Holidays

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:01 am

christianrock wrote:When I went to the rest room in the middle of the night, I found one crawling towards our room (and killed it). It looked like this:

Ah... those. Usually I hear the name with "recluse" (eg "brown recluse"), that's what was confusing me. (But it does seem like "aranha marrom", literally brown spider if Google is not deceiving me, is what the name is in Brazil.)

They're supposed to be shy, but yeah, their bite certainly is nasty. We luckily don't have them here (except maybe an occasional import).

Alabama's another story. They've got plenty of brown recluses. Sorry, selfinflikted.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:05 am

soundwave106 wrote:
christianrock wrote:When I went to the rest room in the middle of the night, I found one crawling towards our room (and killed it). It looked like this:

Ah... those. Usually I hear the name with "recluse" (eg "brown recluse"), that's what was confusing me. (But it does seem like "aranha marrom", literally brown spider if Google is not deceiving me, is what the name is in Brazil.)

They're supposed to be shy, but yeah, their bite certainly is nasty. We luckily don't have them here (except maybe an occasional import).

Alabama's another story. They've got plenty of brown recluses. Sorry, selfinflikted.

We do, but there seems to be some debate as to whether the ones here actually cause necrosis. I’ve never seen one myself, but I keep a pretty clean house, so I’m not surprised. But the widow spiders are another story. If you guys ever see a spider web that has no real shape and just looks like random silk threads 3-5ft above the ground, it’s likely a widow’s web. Get out the blowtorch. Thankfully, I have yet to find one IN my house. Mostly they hang around the firewood pile out back and occasionally in th garage. Damn freeloading moochers.

I must’ve killed at LEAST 5 of them over the summer. Thankfully we’re having a very cold winter this year so maybe they will all just die a slow and painful cold death.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Or maybe they'll all come and stay warm and cozy inside your house.

(srsly, hopefully not... :eek:)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:17 pm

In our old house, we got a lot of black widows. I had to kill at least 2-3 a year that made webs right outside our garage or our front door area.

So far in our new house, we haven't seen any outside. The fact that it's pretty flat with a much wider back yard where the trees are much further away from the house probably helps.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.