Deckard's Dream

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Deckard's Dream

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Oh, man. Have we talked about this yet? You can get this as a kit! WANT!! It's pricey, though, so I'm gonna have to save up. But, I've always wanted to build a complete synth from a kit. I love kits!

http://www.deckardsdream.com/

ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Re: Deckard's Dream

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 pm

The kit option sounds a bit scary from my perspective (I can *maybe* solder a cable) since apparently there are a lot of SMD parts. :eek:

Sound is pretty nifty though.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Yeah we talked about it. It's been so long that I forgot exactly what the problem with it was. I remember writing it off long ago because he designed it wrong and there's something with the USB or the midi or both that is a deal breaker. Anyway, do not want.
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:17 pm

well that's a bummer.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Also, the really tricky thing about the Cs80, is that it is necessary to have the complete package. You need the keyboard and the ribbon controller and the ring mod and the synths because they all work together to get that level of expressiveness.
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Even if it's missing a few CS-80 unique features, it still looks like a kick-ass analog on paper.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Yeah I know. But I mean the reason everything you ever heard that was cool about the Cs80 was because of the whole instrument. It's why we'll never have another one.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:19 pm

I mean, It's like the CS50 is a great synth but it's not an 80.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you guys, Old Crow was finishing a 24 hour burn-in of my CS50 last week. Yes. After a year and a half, the bloody thing is finally restored. I'll be picking it up the weekend after next I think. The plan is to get him to warm up a couple Cs80s before we get there so I can play around with one - it may be the only chance I ever get, I should remember to bring a field recorder or something.
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:40 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Yeah we talked about it. It's been so long that I forgot exactly what the problem with it was. I remember writing it off long ago because he designed it wrong and there's something with the USB or the midi or both that is a deal breaker. Anyway, do not want.

From my perspective, I'm treating it more as an "inspired by" architecture that is more its own thing. My "kinda CS-80-ish" vibes personally are satisfied with the Alesis Andromeda, so I'm not terribly interested myself at the moment. But the sound samples I've heard are pretty good.

I personally think it will start to get more interesting if that 1U CV box gets completed. Because this will add (supposedly) 16 assignable CV inputs, plus the ring mod and chorus. I have a fair bit of control elements in CV land (pedals, a breath controller, French Connection, etc.) so it might be decently easy to sort of approach that super-control-able vibe the CS-80 reportedly has with that.

As an added note, the decline of ribbon controllers (which actually were on a fair number of 2000s era keyboards, Alesis Andromeda included, but seem to be very rare now) shows yet another reason why something like the CS-80 won't be brought back anytime soon. Real-time control of synthesis apparently is a niche market these days in this era of more push-button music. Deckard's Dream is now MPE and poly AT capable, but the MPE/poly AT options are rather limited, unfortunately.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Return to KSS