I'm kinda hungry.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: I'm kinda hungry.

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:46 pm

ClavAnother wrote:EP there is no comparison. Buy them.

Cr I got the lodge ones. I seasoned them six times in a row (took two days) in flax oil. I can make eggs and they come right out to clean it. I have no negative results to report except that I think it's weird that I think about making food all day. I don't want to eat anything that I can't prepare in these pans. I think I'm going to try pan pizza soon

I did not take the original seasoning off of mine, and just did the inside seasoning on my stove before using it the first time.

My eggs (and everything else) also just come right off when they're done (I like it how the chicken breast only comes off when it's properly browned - before that it's harder to come off - it will, but it's harder, so you know it's not properly browned yet).

I've thought about the pizza pan as well. I'm also thinking of a pizza stone for my Weber Grill (this) but doing it on the grill might just take too long, considering I gotta heat up the grill first...

EP: you totally need to get it. I thought about getting them like 15-20 years ago but was put off by the whole thing about seasoning and maintaining it seasoned. It's the easiest thing in the world (well maybe not, my wife can't seem to get her head around it, and she's not blonde...)

ClavAnother wrote:They're naturally non stick because of the seasoning. They are the easiest dishes to clean that I've emver had. And I wash all my dishes by hand. ( I used to have a dishwasher, but she moved out ages ago...)

I would totally stop using the dish washer if my wife would allow for it. When my mother in law visits, she washes it all by hand, too.
I HATE the dirty smudge that our dishes come out with and a lot of times I rewash them by hand to get rid of that. When I load the dishwasher, I basically wash off all the dirt first, at least then the dishes come out mostly clean (mostly...).
Again, my wife doesn't seem to understand the fuss. Again I concede, and we remain a happy couple, after all - it's not all that important in the greater scheme of things...
But I am with you, 100% on this...

Oh and to wash cast iron: just clean it out with warm or mildly hot water, scraping anything off with a metal spatula, then dry with a paper towel, put it on the stove to completely dry, and maybe apply a thin coat of oil before putting it away.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:01 pm

I've cleaned mine with salt, with just scraping and rinsing, with a brush, and with a rough sponge, but I always apply a light coat of oil after its dry and cool. No matter what you do it's really easy and most people think its really hard. It's so strange, I'll bet it was DuPont with their Teflon that tricked and brainwashed everybody. Cast iron pans last more than a lifetime and people used to pass them down over generations. So it's easy to clean, easy to maintain, the food tastes and cooks better, and you get the added benefit of trace amounts of iron in your diet.

I had a roommate with a 12" skillet that moved out fifteen years ago, and I always intended to replace that pan but for some reason I never did. I will say that I have worn out more than a handful of regular pans in that time period and they were more expensive than these. What a waste.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:14 pm

I use a metal spatula* and whatever is still on it comes right off. Haven't had to use salt yet.

I hear flax seed seasoning flakes after a few months or years, which is why Lodge recommends and uses soy (Soy has a smoking point of 500 degrees, more than most oils including flax seed). The pan seasoning looks great too, very black.

*It's important to use a straight spatula, sorta like this:

But mine is nicer, bigger, has a wooden handle and cost me all of 79 cents at Goodwill :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:20 pm

The other thing that has taken my eating to another level is a food thermometer. I used to overdo chicken all the time to make sure it wasn't undercooked.

I got this one, works pretty well:

https://www.amazon.com/Doxgo-Digital-Ki ... e+3+second

I intend to use it a lot to slow cook this coming spring. Or if the weather turns nice, even before that. I'm gonna do smoked turkey, ribs (pork and beef if I can find nice ones), and also some brisket probably. Now that I got this two zone system down in my Weber grill, it should work well.

In the meantime, I've been reading www.amazingribs.com and getting myself educated...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:47 pm

A quality dishwasher is a beauty thing. A cheap one = a place to hide the pre-scraped & rinsed dishes until you get a full batch for final rinsing. Which we used to do almost every day, but our fam dining time is more fractured now.

Incendiary grill comment: feh charcoal. Propane isn't profane, especially when you throw in a few hickory, mesquite or applewood* chips.

*awesum for pork chops!
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:30 pm

Our dishwasher is a Kitchen Aid. It was supposed to be top notch, high quality, found mostly in fancy homes.

It cleans like crap. Almost literally... our cheap LG dishwasher at work does a much better job, I can tell.

I'm not against propane. We're getting a propane grill in the next house (a used Weber probably). Or maybe even one of those cheap electric infrared ones that Charbroil makes. Put some of those lava rocks where the fat drips, so that it smokes up, and we're gold. I used to have a small electric grill back in my Florida days and it worked really well. The secret is to make the fat smoke.

The reason for another grill is, Ms. Christianrock also wants to grill and she doesn't want to use charcoal. And sometimes I want to quickly grill something when I come home from work and don't want to wait 20-30 minutes for the charcoal grill to be ready.

Having said that, charcoal is also very much fun and I'll continue using it. Fun needs to be part of the process.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:15 pm

If EP hasn't decided to get himself some cast iron, this might help. Oh how tender and moist those chicken breasts turned out.

Imagecast iron pan chicken by ChristianRock, on Flickr
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:18 pm

Nice. Did you fry that chicken it did you bake it? Or both?
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:33 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Nice. Did you fry that chicken it did you bake it? Or both?

I fried it (or is the correct term sauté because I used very little oil?). 3 pans worth of chicken breasts... then sauté'd a lot of cut up onions and scallions to pick up the fond, and put the chicken back in the pan to mix with the onions/scallions and serve it.

I regret having only used 1 1/2 onions, next time I'll use at least two. The onions pick up that flavor and are delicious.

I have fried/baked before (start frying, finish in the oven) but honestly I don't see a lot of advantages to just finishing it on the stove top. Plus this time I had 3 pans worth of chicken (and most of it was eaten, so one pan is definitely not enough!)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:41 pm

christianrock wrote:Fun needs to be part of the process.
Yes, of course. Thank you for the reminder.

:wave:
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:15 pm

that looks tasty!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:13 pm

i used to cook with a cast iron pan i got at a garage sale. to 'season' it i wash & dry it, then would coat it in olive(?) oil and put it in the oven for a bit. every time i used it i would wipe it clean with a paper towel then add more oil.

we have one at my current house. i cook all the time but i just never use it :idk:

they're fine but sometimes my roommates would soak it or really burn something so i'd scrape it clean with steel wool and reseason it, plus give them shit. i like using cast iron over an open fire the most :thu:

bbq pizza stones are great. there's a few places around town that sells proper, freshly made italian dough. with in the bbq or wood fired bread over we partially bake the dough, then put sauce, toppings and cheese, then finish. it takes a little while but it can be a fun to set up a toppings buffet and have a bbq pizza party with guests
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:05 pm

.....and I just had some soup :freak:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:44 pm

OMG. :love:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby midinut » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:59 pm

We bought a Lodge Dutch Oven to use going camping. Haven't used it yet. Requires charcoal under and on top. Lots of possibilities and recipes. Can't wait to try it when the weather gets done teasing us. I need to bust out the iron skillet and use it inside though, you guyz is making me hangry!
midinut

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 pm

So I've been having so much fun and we're cooking so many good meals with the 12 inch cast iron skillet, that I went ahead and today I ordered the 15 inch version. I haven't seen one in person, they don't have it in stores, but I expect it to be big...

And I also got me a dutch oven, but I got the type that you can also use indoors, and it doesn't support the use of charcoal on top... but I expect to braise a lot of things in the oven. I wanted the Lodge 9 quart but my birthday gift card only got me this one instead... it's a little bigger (10 quart instead of 9) but weights around the same as the Lodge 9 quart. I think it will work well for our growing family:

And as I type I'm eating some bottom round roast I made in the cast iron skillet (in the oven with aluminum foil on top since I didn't have a dutch oven... yet...) Oh my goodness it came out delicious...

Of course, pics or gtfo.

ImageRoast Beef by ChristianRock, on Flickr
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:25 pm

I like pickled bologna. Can we still be frens?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:37 pm

CR's making dinner! Everybody head to CRs PRONTO!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Come on over :)

The right way to make rainsteaks™ I find, or wintersteaks™, is inside the warmth of the house on a cast iron skillet :) and it doesn't even have to be so hot that it smokes up the whole house as they tell you to do it. Just brown it nicely, then take it out for a bit, sauté some onions in the pan, and put the steak back in there with the onions to finish it and soften it up a bit... tenderest steak I do is done this way :)

It turns out kinda like

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:57 pm

You're a cruel man. That looks delish!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.