The gear demo thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The gear demo thread.

Postby christianrock » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:32 pm

Ahaha great find, PC. Sounds like a ton of fun :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:04 pm

Really should have MIDI'd this into the P6 as that board I picked up in a charity shop, while handy, doesn't have the best action, also like 50 million jump cuts syou don't have to watch me faffing with the AY3.

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:50 pm

you even got a box too! wow!

What are you playing in that one? Sounds very video gamey
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Different charity shop box board... this is the midi controller I picked up for £25 in Sue rider a while back, the one with the box is the nifty little casio that I still need to do a demo of.

I'm controlling the Twisted Electrons AY3 which has two ZX Spectrum / Oric 1 sound chips for 6 voices of bleepy shit.

Tune is Egyptian Ballet which was used for the demo mode of Revenge of the Mutant Camels on C64

Seems to be cut down a lot there for the SID polyphony,in real life sounds like this:

I'm told there used to be a spoof version of this where a guy sungs words to it about being forced to eat meatballs as a child lol never heard that.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:28 pm

that looks like an MAudio Keystation 49. Not a bad find!

I just looked that up, that is one neat little box! :love:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:04 pm

I think it's seen better days though still usable, the keys are quite yellow although not that apparent until you get it next to other gear.

Still good for the price.

AY3 is glorious if a very pernickety little beast, never really intended for polyphonic use though the option is there.

Best feature after the sound is that to some degree you can gave different pitch and lfo settings per voice.

Insane sound as a mono instrument.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Re-fucking-sult!

I thought I'd scuttled Eugene when I borrowed the PSU I've been using for the midi controller for one of the pedals, as he tends to walk along that one... instead I was doing fine out to about 3 minutes when he sat on the P6 keyboard :freak: lol so I started again with everything else muted on the mixer.

He was not giving up that easily... but here you go:

Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Oh, and I forgot that the vibrato was half way on... so it is in there.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 am

Please do a version of Tea For Two with vibrato and the Piano voice
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Yurt yurt.

It works! Nice! Now play Jump! Play it WITH the cheese-tastic drums for extraness!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:00 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Please do a version of Tea For Two with vibrato and the Piano voice

You mean with me and Eugene? Or are you just suggesting my tastes are somewhat dark? :grin:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby midinut » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 pm

I've got a M-Audio Keystation 49 that I picked up for about $70 USD as an open box at GC. Also snagged an 88-note version for $100. Same open box deal.
They don't have hardly any control options (knobs, faders, buttons, etc.); but, sad fact here; I got an Arturia KeyLab 61 used from a forum member over at KC a couple of years ago. First week I had it, one of the C keys went bonkers and stuck up from the keybed. Watched a YouTube video on how to repair this (evidently common) problem. Since then, several other keys have begun to work their way out of alignment as well. I bought the KeyLab because it HAS all the controllers I wanted. And other than that the thing is built like a tank. I just hate I've had bad luck with the keybed. It was a pain in the ass, and involved lots of little tiny screws and some epoxy to fix. Not looking forward to doing that repair again.

So far (knock on wood) the M-Audio controllers have never let me down. They just work. I did also grab one of the Arturia MiniLabs (first gen). It's got the mini keys and is great for tossing it in my backpack with the MBP and going on vacation (holiday).

I am thinking about trying a Nektar Impact. They have smaller controls and are relatively inexpensive. I also know that Arturia has introduced a new line of "Essential" KeyLabs to replace the older, heavier models. I may try one of these but hope they have addressed the keybed issues from earlier models.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Kwaanza, Happy Holidays, or however you celebrate this time of year to you all!
midinut

Previous

Return to KSS