Irma gerd

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Irma gerd

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Indeed, concrete is what works around here (the house I'm in is reinforced concrete block which is probably the most common around here, but poured concrete is more awesome. And bitching electrician needs to learn about hammer drills. :) ).

It's not sexy, and yeah it is harder to work with in some ways. But atypically it will stand up to large amounts of wind a *lot* better than wood frame (which based on the pics was what I guess Branson's stuff was).

No damage around here either, save for a small corner of wood fencing that, while actually still intact, is now at a "different elevation profile" since one post is sitting on my neighbor's partially uprooted tree.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:42 am

christianrock wrote:And don't forget that all the alligators roaming the streets need to get their @$$es back to the swamp.

Didn't someone drain the swamp? :grin:

On a more serious note, no word from the folks in Fort Myers... guessing they still have no power. :freak: Had a goodle around and some sources reckoned it wouldn't be back on until 22nd. :facepalm:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:10 pm

oh wow!
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Even here in the metro Atlanta area, there's thousands of people that won't have power until sometime next week. And we didn't even get hurricane winds... I think they just don't have enough resources to do it all, they said on the radio this morning that utility workers from as far as Quebec are working in the Atlanta area to get it all restored.

Purity_Control wrote:
christianrock wrote:Didn't someone drain the swamp? :grin:

I think he's finding that the swamp is much, much bigger than he thought, and that it permeates the party that he signed up for, who is working completely against him... but I digress :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:33 pm

^ firing all of the advisors he chose was a good start lol

the real swamp in america is inherited wealth that buys its way to more money while contributing zero to society and simultaneously making the other 99.9% poorer but i digress..

:cop:
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:58 pm

So you're saying that once a person dies, they should not be allowed to pass their money on to their kids, and should give it to the government instead? :cop:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:54 pm

:cop:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:46 am

America was founded on landed gentry so :snax:

I have no problem taking my parents money.. :idk:
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:50 am

I'm taking mine with me. I'm pretty sure they'll let me through afterlife customs with $42 bucks.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:35 pm

MetroSonus wrote:America was founded on landed gentry so :snax:

Despite being "landed gentry", some of the Founding Fathers actually were quite critical of inherited wealth. :cop:

Federal estate tax in America is steep (40% maximum rate), but it actually has a huge exemption (about $5.5 million at present). Which means only about 2%ish of the population actually should care about it. Furthermore, donations to charity get you out of the tax. And you can gift $14K per person per year tax free.

It's one of those taxes, in other words, mainly designed to hit "the gentry". And I will say that In my present mood on "the state of things", I actually have no problems with this, because the modern American "gentry" is a pretty sorry lot and I think it needs to be reset. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:08 pm

I think.. Imho. We need more government regulation and oversight of things like the insurance industry, pharmaceutical, media, money in politics. That's a big one to me. lobbyists, campaign contributions etc. Needs an overhaul.

Personal opinions out if it, I'm beyond shocked what people can get away with in this country. The George Zimmerman case, NBC admitted they edited the 911 call, which affected public opinion. No fcc fines, nothing. Sarah Palin and her "hit list" that left Cathy Gifford nearly dead.

I guess I'm only on this earth so long anyway. Just try and find my own happiness. :lol:

I don't have an issue with money to an extent, but in the governments eyes, all should be eaual and the people should be protected from pyramid or ponzi schemes which is what is what most insurance companies are the medical industry is exploration plain and simple.

Anyway, ima :drink: now
MetroSonus

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Friend is back online, still has no power but he's managed to run a line from his neighbour's generator. :thu:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby gregwar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:02 am

well i make a clear distinction between the way things "are" and the way they "aught to be."

as a realist, i'm a hobbesian and think if you want to do something and you have the power to do it then it will happen.

freedom = literally physically being able to go into a building, down a street, etc.

the state is absolute, there's no external higher power, and the gov't gets compliance otherwise you either get fines, jail, etc

and if someone without power says something or doesn't like something it doesn't matter.
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:15 am

when i think about the way things "aught to be" i think about humanism and specifically human rights and freedoms.

we shouldn't get coerced by the gov't, military, cops, etc for no reason. gov't exists to protect our rights and specifically the rights of those that can't protect themselves or are vulnerable in some way.

the so-called obama doctrine called for widening the circle from our family, our "tribe" and our nation to continents and the world. we fought nazis in WW2 not because they were in north america but because they were a fascist and genocidal force of evil.
Last edited by gregwar on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:32 am

so basically what i'm saying is that inheritance is fine and good except there is a massive power differential between a middle class american passing the reigns of the family business and a billionaire shaping national and international policy.

what has happened is the hard won projects of the great generation like infrastructure, universal education, and the idea of a middle class life with a car, house, etc are so badly eroded that they might never be feasible again.

this is due to the outrageous inequality in the world and literacy levels, life expectancy, etc are going back to the gilded age. so ya, inheritance is causing harm to society by hoarding massive wealth and causing artificial scarcity.

the idea gov't is bad at redistributing wealth (aka health, education, infrastructure) is ridiculous because corporations will never be able to fill those roles. there's no quarterly profit and it takes vision often through multiple election cycles to see any meaningful change but one president to tear it all down.

the anti-humanist rhetoric, rise of the alt right, and fascist rallies are all connected. the massive extraction of wealth from society to the 0.1% is also anti-humanist. might doesn't equal right and harming the most vulnerable in society for an uptick in the stock market is a disgrace. some people just can't see the forest for the trees...
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm

I opened up a can of worms didn't I? :popcorn:

If I dood it, I get a whippin..... I DOOD IT!!!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:49 pm

nah we're all friends here mang :freak:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm

I know I know.

I think most of us understand where the others are coming from, and that's basically all you can ask.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 pm

I was just talking to someone else I knew about teasing SI about his JNcos.. and between you (CR) and I, our chicken arguments are legendary :lol:

I consider all of you real, real life friends. That's what it's about, mutual respect. Basically all you can ask, but we have it here in spades. I know we all get busy and what not and so on, but I wouldn't trade this for anything and I'm never leaving :grin:

Merely for the memories, the gaffs, the "oh I was so young" then.. :lol: :lol: :facepalm: :lol: :lol: The :drink: and the :horse: and the :samsh:

Goodness me! Time flies..

MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:21 pm

It's a rare group of individuals that can differ but still be friends. I rather enjoy all the opinions, they challenge and inform.

It's good to have reminders, because a few years ago I knew everything but now I'm starting to forget.
Plink Floyd

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.