Le Eclipse

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Le Eclipse

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 pm

So I took the day off and we drove less than a couple of hours north to one of those cities with two names (McCaysville/GA and Coppertown/TN) as the state border runs right in the middle of it... and had a great time.

I decided not to take any pictures, don't have a long lens (300mm is my longest, not long enough for this), and even if I had, I didn't have the proper filter for it... so I went to just enjoy it.

But see, my son has the little point and shoot with a somewhat long zoom that I gave him last Christmas and he took it with him, and he was having a hard time taking pictures with it... so I helped him out. Of course, they were taken with his cameras, so they're *his* pictures ;)

Not going to win any awards but I was there. My only regret is that I didn't get to buy the "I WAS MOONED!!" t-shirt they had for sale at the city park event, before they ran out.

Through the eclipse "glasses" which seemed like it was made on purpose for the little camera's front element!

Image.partial eclipse by ChristianRock, on Flickr

This required no filter. During the total phase of the eclipse (1m36s where we were) you can look at the sun directly. Everything is dark. The ducks and geese in the river area where we were, all went to the side of the river, and bundled up and went to sleep. So this is the "Corona" shot.

ImageTotal Eclipse by ChristianRock, on Flickr

And I wasn't too successful at the "Diamond Ring" phase but got something sort of artistic instead.

ImageDiamond RIng by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Now I can say I've seen a total eclipse in my lifetime. On the way there we prayed for clear skies (it was supposed to be a bit cloudy) and it was perfectly clear, thank God. We left minutes after it ended, and during the drive home everything became overcast.

Good times, good times.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: Le Eclipse

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Neat! :cool:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:08 pm

That is amazing! I need a regular camera. the phone is fine, but all of the distant photos look horrible, tiny out of scale..

Much Jelly!

We sat out in the drive way and watched through glasses we got at the planetarium on our trip a few weeks ago. I should have cooked out.. the weather was nice since 84% of the sun was blocked from here :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:41 pm

that corona shot is awesum!

it was pretty overcast here but i snagged a shot on my iphone

(yay 10x zoom)

https://instagram.com/p/BYELJh3gnk3/

the clouds helped a bit cause then i could see what was going on (no glasses)

when the clouds passed it was super bright lol so i couldn't hack it for my whole lunch break. we were a bit off the "total" eclipse path cause, you know, north is in the north

also, fyi, it's spelled l'éclipse in french
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Here in socal, we're pretty far off the path of totality, only had like 60% coverage. It kinda dimmed the day slightly, but that was about it. :lol: Had the entire office outside staring at the sun, though.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Cool CR
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:35 pm

MetroSonus wrote:That is amazing! I need a regular camera. the phone is fine, but all of the distant photos look horrible, tiny out of scale..

Much Jelly!

We sat out in the drive way and watched through glasses we got at the planetarium on our trip a few weeks ago. I should have cooked out.. the weather was nice since 84% of the sun was blocked from here :lol:

EclipseSteaks™
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Apparently it's L'éclipse steaks
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:18 pm

christianrock wrote:Apparently it's L'éclipse steaks

L'éclipstaques?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Yes please.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:11 pm

What’s the most famous painting of an eclipse? (The Moona Lisa!)
What did the sun bring to the solar eclipse party? (A light snack!)
How does the man in the moon cut his hair? (Eclipse it!)
What did the sun say when it reappeared after an eclipse? (Pleased to heat you again!)
What kind of underwear should you wear during an eclipse? (Fruit of the Moon!)
How do you organize a solar eclipse party? (You planet!)
Why didn’t the sun go to college? (It already had a million degrees!)
Have you heard about the restaurant on the moon? (Great food, but no atmosphere!)
Why did the teacher bring solar eclipse glasses to school? (She had bright students!)
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:12 pm

:facepalm: man that's horrible
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 pm

:facepalm:

ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:06 pm

What do you call it when people fell in love on Aug. 21, 2017?

A total eclipse of the heart.

What do you call road-tripping to the eclipse?

Going where the sun don't shine.

What did the moon bring to the beach on Aug. 21?

Sunblock.

Boy: Dad, can you tell me what an eclipse is?

Dad: No sun.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:50 pm

I went to southern Illinois for it. I have a niece that lives in the boons about twenty miles east of Carbondale. Fantastic private experience, would view again!

CR, ur happysnaps are just as good as the ones I took with my DSLR. I used a 300mm lens with a 2X doubler, so multiply that times APS-C = 900mm. I also sent off for a sheet of The Correct Filmy Filter Stuff from a Reputable Photo-Astronomy Place. For the cam I cut a slice that fit my Cokin gel holder, and also cut out two circles which I bunged onto the front of my binocs. Both worked very well.

I got a reasonably good raw HD video of the whole event, but the best part of the movie is the audio of everyone's reactions. And some chicken noises. They didn't like it.

The traffic jam afterward was most truly astronomical.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Stupid chickens
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Pics or it didn't happen. I can say that :grin:

I think my our little point and shoot's equivalence in the long end is 500mm, so not quite up to what you were able to do, Plink.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:41 pm

I just got back home from the "eclipse trip". We have relatives on Kentucky Lake (Land Between the Lakes area, KY) so we had a great private vantage point of the eclipse. After that, we battled through traffic and crowds to see Mammoth Cave, because it's close enough so why not? (Traffic, that's "why not". But it was neat to see anyways despite being super-busy.)

I also understand that we have some relatives up in the totality path seven years from now (in Vincennes Indiana) so we'll probably be doing another private gathering-of-the-relatives then. It'll probably be a shorter trip, because there's not a whole lot of notable things in Indiana. :grin:

Total eclipses definitely are much more impressive than partial ones, in my opinion. Pictures don't really do it justice. The sun looks pretty wild during totality. Plus you get that weird sunset-but-not-sunset lighting, and the animals (crickets, birds, etc.) getting confused.

From the viewfinder it looks like some of the pictures I took came out good, but I'll have to see. I used a Canon EF 100-400mm on max (with APS-C so about 650mm equivalent).
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Mammoth cave. Pretty cool place.
ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:10 pm

ClavAnother wrote::facepalm: man that's horrible

You're right, those are some of the worst jokes ever! :facepalm:

No eclipse for us in the UK!
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Next

Return to The Hang Out.