Let's Talk Drum Modules and Machines

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Let's Talk Drum Modules and Machines

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Hey guys. I have, as you probably remember, a DR-880 that has been serving nearly all my percussion needs for the last several years. It's a great box, and I don't have any complaints, really. But I will say that all my recordings, as far as percussion goes, are starting to sound "samey" these days and I'm thinking it's because all drums come from the same box. I've had my eye on a TR-8 for a while, and think I might want one. But I'm also seeking suggestions aside from that particular box. Industrial, Aggrotech, Hardcore Techno/Dance - this is what I'm mainly interested in. What other modules and or drum machines would fit the bill here? Your thoughts?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: Let's Talk Drum Modules and Machines

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Since we discussed.. what about the electribe ESX and getting samples online and then throwing wav to an SD card?

50/50 solutions? Arturia Spark, NI Maschine

Romplers: Roland XV5050, get a supreme dance card, Fantom Rack, motif rack..

Im' not saying the tr8 isn't great, but it seems limited to XOX sounds.. I mean, I guess those are great in their own right and they are, but I guess my idea of sounds for that might be different.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Metro, I was talking to Clav sorta at length about the TR-8. With the built in effects, it isn't nearly as limited as one would think (although overall, is still fairly). He pointed me to a YouTube vid or two demonstrating the mangling one can do on the TR-8. I was farily impressed.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will watch youtube vids.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 pm

I just meant its still an 808 606 or whatever.. Lol I guess I prefer pcm / wav for that kind of thing. Genre..not discounting the tr8 as an instrument in its own right
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:10 pm

I have an ES-1, TR-8, Drumbrute and an Alesis D4 that's driven from a Beatstep Pro. I guess if you had all that crap you could do whatever you wanted.

/thread
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:08 pm

ClavAnother wrote:/thread

Is this why you're called the "Thread Killa"?

See, this is why I'm sorta looking at an Electribe at this point because samples and stuffs. But the new Electribes have a non-standard MIDI connection. WTF, Korg. W. T. F.

There are adapters, sure. BUT WTF KORG.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Srsly? Wtf.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:24 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Srsly? Wtf.

Yea. I was looking at them on Sweetwater. Srsly.

Man. It's a disappoint, but I suppose adapters aren't the WORST thing in the world. I just don't understand WHY.

AND they apparently only come in blue and red? (Standard Electribe = blue, Sampler Electribe = red)

ALSO WTF KORG.
Last edited by selfinflikted on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:02 pm

They copied the beatstep pro :facepalm:
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Funnily enough, when I looked at a few forums on these genres, the answer that came back the most is Vengeance house drum sample packs. :lol:

For these genres, I personally kind of like the idea of a drum machine that can use samples, because you can pre-muck with them beforehand. Also, you can do things like bang pots and pans, metal garbage cans, etc. and make angry percussion that is not the too typical distorted x0x. But I guess it all depends on your workflow.

Problem is finding the right hardware for that. The new Electribes seems the main game in town for lower cost standalone drum machines that can sample, but they are pretty limited in some respects, and yeah that MIDI adapter crap sucks.

Those new Akai standalone MPCs look neat, but kinda expensive. The Elektron Rytm and DSI Tempest, even more expensive (though you get "analog drums" for what it's worth). Elektron has other digital only machines too but (personal opinion) Elektron workflow is weird.

So I guess that's why so many people move to a more hybrid approach with Maschine and Push and the like. :idk:

I'd almost put more thought in distortion. On the one hand, a multiband distortion plugin (something like Ohmicide) seems like it would be a good idea if you want to more carefully sculpt your heavy sound... people are using these type of plugins a lot in more modern aggressive genres. On the other hand... nothing wrong with the cheap stomp box vibe, either.
Last edited by soundwave106 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:04 pm

You should just get an old used one. Also, get a screwdriver and take apart your alarm clock.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:25 pm

soundwave106 wrote: Also, you can do things like bang pots and pans, metal garbage cans, etc. and make angry percussion that is not the too typical distorted x0x.

I actually do this frequently. One of my favorite home made samples ever is a recording I made on my iPhone of me thumping my wrought iron patio table. I used it as part of a snare in a song I did a few years back. It was actually awesome. :thu:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm not much help here. What the others are saying makes sense to me, though. Ya otter get a little handheld recorder and keep it on you. when you run across some randomly awesome sound, you can record it and drop it in Ye Olde Sampler Thingie for more fun.

I'm constantly banging on random things whereever I go. Drives Teh Wife nuts. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:34 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I'm not much help here. What the others are saying makes sense to me, though. Ya otter get a little handheld recorder and keep it on you. when you run across some randomly awesome sound, you can record it and drop it in Ye Olde Sampler Thingie for more fun.

I'm constantly banging on random things whereever I go. Drives Teh Wife nuts. :lol:

I use my iPhone to sample all the time. It's honestly not terrible. I know you'll all laugh, but it's true.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:39 pm

I will allow it.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Phew. Thank god!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:39 pm

I've always used my phone but I keep telling myself ill pick up a zooms recorder at some point
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I've always used my phone but I keep telling myself ill pick up a zooms recorder at some point

Yea, I've been looking at those too. But the reality is, I won't carry it with me everywhere all the time like I do my phone. I'd just end up still using my phone anyway.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Also, this thread is now about sampling.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 pm

What is your daw?
ClavAnother

Next

Return to KSS