Roland Boutique

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Roland Boutique

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:07 am

I originally thought it would be cool to put it on top of the electro and have an easy way to bring synths to a gig, especially leads, but right away I read here or someplace else that you couldn't use the pitch ribbon unless you used the babykey add on.

Well I just discover that that isn't even true, so now I'm seeing age old possibilities come to life.

But any way, it's never been a matter of too many toys it's always been too little time. I've only been home for about two weeks worth of days since spring - one or two days a week.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:08 am

Oh hai :wave: I just remembered, I love the Jupiter 8

ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:30 pm

went and picked up some toys at sam ash.. I played with the 303 box... not too impressed. I actually prefer D16 phosocyon.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:38 pm

I want to try and get a play with the A0-1 at some point... there's some sounds I've heard from it that I love and that are hard to nail, a lot of the demos though don't play to what I'd regard as it's strengths.

I do like the erly aracade machine and C64 type sounds, the later console stuff not so much.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby gregwar » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:35 am

so roland has their cloud 4.0 available. went and made a profile, etc

then i downloaded the juno-106, jupiter 8, and system 8 plug-ins
(they're avail separate from the system 8 now)

i was messing with the juno and made a template for my novation sl

the presets aren't great but digging in and making patches, especially with the controls mapped, has been really fun. it is def not a 1:1 emulation of the juno, one of my all time fav synths. but in a mix it is really close enough imho. the condition knob is interesting but it really starts to crap out if you go to high !

i like the chorus, but don't find its very "warm" so i've been adding mojo from other plug-ins. the effects are 'ok' but stuff like distortion i can do with big muff, tube screamer, culture vulture, etc same with the reverb. overall very sweet !!

:like:
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:05 pm

mr blurry cam strikes again:

https://ask.audio/articles/roland-to-re ... ique-synth

there is now a rumour and blurry pic of what resembles a sh-101

they must get a smart phone instead of using potato

:wave:
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm

The sh101 is an extremely fun synth to play. It sounds good, but now there are many single osc synths that sound similar to me - or at least familiar. The Minibrute has often made me recall using a 101.

I have considered several times putting the 101 plug out in the system 8, but I'm not really sure that would be the best thing to do.

After my experience with the Jp08, I would really hesitate before getting excited about a boutique 101. That shitty fake picture looks like it's congested enough to have sliders that are too small to use.

Hmmm, maybe I will get that plug out after all.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:26 pm

be nice if analog and not VA.. but i'd beet they'd offer like 4 voices or something then.
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 am

If it's studio electronics then analog right? But poly? They don't like us that much do they??
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 pm

It's probably not Studio Electronics, I'm guessing. The blurry text seems to say "SH-01A".

I'm not betting on analog (let alone poly analog); since they already have the "plug out" it would surprise me personally. Still, you never know, the Internet hype is all about analog and retro. The "A" is the intriguing letter here. :confuse:

Personally not my thing either way because as mentioned single oscillator. I have a "101ish" Euro module (Intellijel Atlantis) but on that one, the pre-filter external input alone (let alone the other patch points) give it enough flexibility so that I'm not eventually bored by it.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 pm

"A" is for "ANALOG" Soundwave. :pfft:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:33 pm

^ this is an interesting point

the plug-in from roland cloud has that face melting sub bass. this is basically my fav part of playing a "real" one when my friend had one

he was able to sequence it for sweet resonant blippy sounds. that would be a pretty fun use of the boutique style sequencer...

but i'm not totally sure i need a boutique version of this synth whether analog or digital :idk:
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:01 pm

A could also stand for "ACB". :lol:

In a way I think it would be best if it is analog. Because if it's analog, they probably will include additional patch points like they have on the SE-02. The SE-02 patch points aren't that numerous, but it means you can feed in extra oscillators and control the VCF with an external envelope / LFO / etc. This adds to the sonic possibilities.

Based on blurry pic, I don't think I see enough labels for it to have patch points. But who knows, we are in "Internet speculation mode" at this point.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:45 pm

There's a LED screen for patches, I'm assuming. The old school numbered displays.

A could stand for almost :lol: I could see it being like the JP8 plug out and the JP8 boutique.. makes sense. By the same token, why not analog TB - TR?
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:52 pm

i think it goes without saying at this point, but it's nice that roland is significantly undercutting the used market of craigslist hawks and collectors.

from what i've heard the se-02 sounds amazing and i'm so tired of people asking $2,000 or whatever a juno goes for these days.

it's about time roland gets in on its own retro craze and instead of charging $4,000 (canadian) like moog they're doing $500 synths.

i wonder what a sh-101 goes for these days. roland should be commended for their boutique approach :thumbsup:
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:49 pm

BUT TINY CONTROLS
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:52 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:BUT TINY CONTROLS

It's true. But who in here doesn't have a decent controller?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:26 pm

yeah butttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Just me man. There's some edit murphy routine about being so poor they had to eat their toys for dinner. I think it's apt... :lol: I dont know why.. I'm in a silly mood.

How hard would it be to make it a 4 space plastic rack? maybe sell the rack ears (metal) and make it a wrap around deal that protected it too as an accessory. Body high impact ABS. I dunno why so small.

The sliders remind me of the old 90's yellow walkmen that had EQ sliders on the outside.. you needed tweezers to adjust them and then you'd bump them on everything..
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:31 pm

MetroSonus wrote:The sliders remind me of the old 90's yellow walkmen that had EQ sliders on the outside.. you needed tweezers to adjust them and then you'd bump them on everything..

LOL YES.

To be fair, I had a JU-06 for a time and while the sliders were tiny, it really wasn't a big deal - especially considering my fingers are like sausages.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:23 pm

MetroSonus wrote:How hard would it be to make it a 4 space plastic rack?

Nobody buys racks anymore and everyone wants to buy tiny desktop modules. This is the Lesson Of the Korg Microkorg. :lol:

(Don't ask me. I didn't buy a Korg Microkorg. :idk:)

If this is digital, at any rate, there kind of is a full size option: the System 8, which I believe supports the SH-101 plugout, and also comes with their Jupiter 8 and Juno 106 plugouts by default. You don't get the 1:1 controller mapping I suppose with that, though.
BC | SC
soundwave106

PreviousNext

Return to KSS