selfinflikted

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: selfinflikted

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:21 pm

I don't recall; I assume that the Juno-6 doesn't have the macro chips like the 106 does? Does the 60?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:06 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I don't recall; I assume that the Juno-6 doesn't have the macro chips like the 106 does? Does the 60?

The 6 and the 60 are identical except for presets
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:32 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I don't recall; I assume that the Juno-6 doesn't have the macro chips like the 106 does? Does the 60?

The 80017A VCF/VCA chip notorious for the issues on the Juno 106 is not on the older Junos.

The 80017A VCF/VCA chip *is* used in a few other Roland synthesizers such as the MKS-30, MKS-7, and GR-700 guitar synthesizer. Fortunately not too many.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:06 pm

soundwave106 wrote:

The 80017A VCF/VCA chip notorious for the issues on the Juno 106 is not on the older Junos.

The 80017A VCF/VCA chip *is* used in GR-700 guitar synthesizer.

Didn't know, almost bought one two years ago
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Attention all ye with good musicly-inclined ears: I need yer help!

The time has come for me to do what I was born to do. The thing that got me into synths in the first place. Probably one of the best industrial songs ever written. Yes, my synth-brained friends! YES! I am working on a cover of Worlock. You know, the Skinny Puppy one. Yes, THAT best industrial song ever.

So, how can you help? Well, I have been working on the arpeggio that plays throughout basically the whole song. But I can't quite seem to get the notes JUST right. It's just an arp that repeats every 8 bars during the verses. The one that repeats over the chorus is easy, and I have it nailed. But something seems off about the notes I'm picking out of the verses. I *think* it's mostly a combination of E, D, F, and G.

I can't find a decent MIDI file anywhere to compare notes.

If any of you find yourself bored and feel like flexing the muscles of your musical ears, give an opinion.

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 pm

I don't find it. Gimme a time code...
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:30 am

selfinflikted wrote:So, how can you help? Well, I have been working on the arpeggio that plays throughout basically the whole song. But I can't quite seem to get the notes JUST right. It's just an arp that repeats every 8 bars during the verses. The one that repeats over the chorus is easy, and I have it nailed. But something seems off about the notes I'm picking out of the verses. I *think* it's mostly a combination of E, D, F, and G.

If it's that bass thing, it sounds like the same pattern rhythmically altering octave Es (as in the chorus), with subtle tweaks. One ends on a high F-A-G, one that moves to a D briefly and moves downward after that (not sure what), one with a E-G-F pattern at the end I think, one that briefly goes to A, etc.

For me, it's not the easiest thing to hear since the bassline is moving so fast! Though if you nail some of the patterns, it seems like the same few are used in various orders (computer sequenced, obviously -- back then I believe they were using good ol' Atari STs for this sort of stuff...)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:21 am

Plink Floyd wrote:I don't find it. Gimme a time code...

ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 pm

lol I can remember almost nothing about that movie except the beer in the dog dish bit. And something about hockey.

When we have our treehaus meetup let's watch it again.

With beer.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:02 am

It's actually my favorite movie
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:40 am

it's extremely subtle, but there's delay or echo on it too that makes it hard to suss out. Either that or it pans back and forth pretty subtly. I'm tempted to think that it's one of those things you can't pin down because they arrived at the conclusion by fooling around with stuff. Compare that to testure and that one seems obviously based in some semblance of theory, but a lot of their other stuff seems to be what works and not what's based on theory.

However that is also one of my favorite songs, natch.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks for listening people! I worked on it all weekend and though I'm certain I haven't gotten the notes exactly right, I am feeling pretty good about what I do have, and that it'll be passable. Soundwave, you are right I think, and adjusted my arp accordingly.

Metro, there is definitely a lot of panning.

This is my most favorite song ever.

ETA: Apparently YouTube is blocked again because the links to youtube aren't showing up for me again. Plinky, in the MP3, the arp starts at 1:02.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm

So guys. I got asked yesterday to be in another rock band. Am I too old for that? I'm not sure what to think.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:49 pm

You are never too old to rock out, mang. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:00 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:You are never too old to rock out, mang. :thu:

But gigging? With a "normal" daytime job. Out till wee hours of the morning?

Hm.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:18 pm

The answer, of course, is whether fun factor is greater then, or less than, pain in the ass factor. Obviously a highly subjective call.

I personally am on the side that this gigging thing is more of a "pain in the ass" than it's worth now. It'd be worth the "pain in the ass" factor for the right pay grade. (A pay grade higher than most concert venues could afford, and a pay grade higher than my actual musical skills merit. :lol: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 pm

soundwave106 wrote:The answer, of course, is whether fun factor is greater then, or less than, pain in the ass factor. Obviously a highly subjective call.

I personally am on the side that this gigging thing is more of a "pain in the ass" than it's worth now. It'd be worth the "pain in the ass" factor for the right pay grade. (A pay grade higher than most concert venues could afford, and a pay grade higher than my actual musical skills merit. :lol: )

Well, I would tend to agree. But in Mobile, Al (where I am located) - while it does have a pretty decent local music scene for the size of the town - there is no real money to be made by gigging.

Don't get me wrong, when I was in my early twenties, I LOVED gigging out. Exposure, being a total nut on stage, the crowd, the applause, etc etc were all really really nice. But I'm almost 40, and I'm not sure I care about those things any longer.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:33 pm

I guess it would depend on how much you like hanging around with those guys, and how much you care about the music you guys would make together...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:40 pm

christianrock wrote:I guess it would depend on how much you like hanging around with those guys, and how much you care about the music you guys would make together...

Point 1: I love hanging out with them

Point 2: Not at all. lol
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Have you played a show with the System 8 yet? No? Then yes, you must do this and if you are too old to handle it, you'll find out and you can move on. But the world will be a better place for having a gigging S8 owner out there for a while.
ClavAnother

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.