The Photography Thread

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:26 pm

I just wanted to bang on here and agree with SW.

Either you make and enjoy art, or your spend all your time peddling your polished turds to people for $$. You can't have both.. What is that saying? Pick two: fast cheap or good. It really irks me to read articles like the one CR posted. Like perusing a hobby for the authenticity and enjoyment of it is "wrong". Notice how they say "poor photographer" vs "rich".

That's what I like about our little forum here.. we do what we like, we all have individual takes on the same thing and we still manage to be friends. That's more real and honest to me than people flooding flickr with the same boring B&W pics of abandoned insane asylums or people who only use Moog or euro rack stuff and pat themselves on the back for their endless series of randomized "sound experiments".
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:30 pm

gregwar wrote:a yes i remember the days of analog photoshop it def sounded better

... it would be funny if there are some folks out there reviving some dark room techniques with a heightened sense of superiority. :cool:

"You kids with your automatic HDR on your phones, it's all digital and fake! I'm dodging and burning B&W photographs in the dark room, and it's *more awesome* and real!"
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:40 pm

MetroSonus wrote:That's what I like about our little forum here.. we do what we like, we all have individual takes on the same thing and we still manage to be friends.

Hear, hear!! :drink:

MetroSonus wrote: That's more real and honest to me than people flooding flickr with the same boring B&W pics of abandoned insane asylums <snip>.

I love B&W photos of creepy abandoned places.

I take my drink BACK, sir. BACK.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 pm

What I'm hearing is that people post creepy pics with the intent to deceive...? well HOW RUDE
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:09 pm

So now that I know a bit more about processing, I went back and re-did some of the pics from my first trip with an actual camera in 2013 (Ireland, for work)... looking back at how I took those then, they look horrible - I had no idea what to do with white balance, for example...

Cliffs of Moher on a before I knew what a good lens was or what a filter did to cut down on haze...
ImageCliffs of Moher by ChristianRock, on Flickr

This cow was close to the cliff
ImageSitting Cow by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Opposite site to the cliffs
ImageTower by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Closer to the tower
ImageCloser to the Tower by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Walking past the tower
ImageWalking Road by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Past the Tower we oversee this
ImageOpposite the Cliffs2 by ChristianRock, on Flickr

A lot of Ireland is just a big green wet field like this
ImageIrish Fields by ChristianRock, on Flickr

I have to go through the all Dublin pictures still...

Some of my mistakes I can't correct anymore, like picking a lens that flares (most of my cliff pictures suck because of flares and "ghosts" from the sun), or blowing out highlights, like on the right top of the last picture. Oh well, I learned some :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:18 pm

Live and learn, right? :grin:

Also, the first thought in my head when I saw your tower pic was, "I fart in your general direction!"
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:19 pm

And this is more recent, with the older camera that has the CCD sensor, and knowing a bit more about lenses and exposure...

ImageSmall Park Stage by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImageBack Entrance by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImageRed and Blue by ChristianRock, on Flickr

And two with a relatively new camera, and an older "not so good lens, but with character" :lol: In the first one, a rare appearance by family... it's my wife and my 8-year old son walking in front of me. I'm sure the 6yo and the 4yo were creating some trouble somewhere out of the frame...

ImageBerry College Pool by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImageTrees at Berry College by ChristianRock, on Flickr
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:20 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Live and learn, right? :grin:

Also, the first thought in my head when I saw your tower pic was, "I fart in your general direction!"

:lol: Now I will always think that when I see it :facepalm:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:30 am

selfinflikted wrote:I love B&W photos of creepy abandoned places.
I take my drink BACK, sir. BACK.

My wife and I did a California trip last month, so here's a picture from the ghost town of Bodie, California.

(It actually was in color, but I converted it to black and white and added Authentic Vintage (Lightroom) Grain(TM) in the, um, *cough* spirit *cough* of the thread. :cool: )

And, re the tower pic:
:pfft:
(Nice pictures though.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:40 pm

christianrock wrote:
ElectricPuppy wrote:Live and learn, right? :grin:

:lol: Now I will always think that when I see it :facepalm:

Also, now you know where that cow came from.

Fetchez la vache.

Eh?

FETCHEZ LA VACHE!
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm just old man belly aching! :lol:

It seems like to be an "artistic" photographer, the minimum for entry is b&w photos of dolls and trash left in empty fields, brick walls, peeling paint etc. I feel the same way about anything lol. Even with synths I get hot under the collar when some idiot puts a cardboard box on his head and does an 80's cover and all the blogs go nuts, while someone like Suit toils away quietly behind the scenes for years and years. However, that is beginning to change for him, I'm proud to say :)
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:15 pm

soundwave106 wrote: so here's a picture from the ghost town of Bodie, California.

:like: :like:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:40 pm

I quite like the old abandoned places as well. In B&W or even in (warning: hipster trigger) sepia. I just don't come around them very often...

I also like tacky garden decorations. I only have a couple pics of them though, I'll post when I get a chance... gotta go find a new stove for our old home first...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:50 am

christianrock wrote:In B&W or even in (warning: hipster trigger) sepia.

:lol:

Sepia's good, but I think true hipsterdom lies in an earth toney base (like sepia) combined with pastels and earthy color transforms.

Example: Take a random nature picture, like this one I took of the Merced river in Yosemite. Transform with sepia. Then add a bitone color on top of that.

With a band name and album title generated from the article title of random Wikipedia articles, I think this might be "good enough" cover art for a chillwave project.

(Sepia + abandoned ghost town would work for cowpunk / rockabilly though. :cool: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:32 pm

what was that thing? lol.. I thought that was pretty cool.. take the tenth random picture on flickr, wikkiepdia article lol clever
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:50 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
christianrock wrote:In B&W or even in (warning: hipster trigger) sepia.

:lol:

Sepia's good, but I think true hipsterdom lies in an earth toney base (like sepia) combined with pastels and earthy color transforms.

Example: Take a random nature picture, like this one I took of the Merced river in Yosemite. Transform with sepia. Then add a bitone color on top of that.

With a band name and album title generated from the article title of random Wikipedia articles, I think this might be "good enough" cover art for a chillwave project.

(Sepia + abandoned ghost town would work for cowpunk / rockabilly though. :cool: )

Bravo. You found the formula to make money doing hipster band album covers :lol: and giving them names too, so they don't really have to do anything...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:03 pm

This is relevant.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 pm

So look at who was hanging out at the back of our office building this afternoon...

ImageDeer by the office 2 by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImageDeer by the office 3 by ChristianRock, on Flickr

It's good to always have a camera at hand :lol:

And earlier this week my wife said there were 5 (FIVE!!) deer in our backyard. The population must have grown too much around here in Georgia... maybe I should take up hunting?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:57 am

christianrock wrote:And earlier this week my wife said there were 5 (FIVE!!) deer in our backyard. The population must have grown too much around here in Georgia... maybe I should take up hunting?

They don't have many natural predators anymore in many areas (except for good ol' humans). The South in particular lacks many predators for full grown deer anymore except for the cougars in SW Florida. Hunting is decently regulated these days so that population doesn't disappear (a good thing), however it's now to the point where some articles speculate white-tailed deer is *over* populated in some areas.

Short of reintroducing apex predators like red wolf and cougars (an idea as a photographer I would dig but most suburbanites would not :lol:) and wildlife management (culling etc.), there's hunting. So, maybe. I've heard that hunting can be an expensive hobby, depending on how "deep" you get into it. (Kind of like synths, I guess.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 pm

I have friends who hunt... one is particularly good at it. He's hunted up to 40 deer per season - on busy seasons he just gives the meat away. But he's slowed down a lot... still, he's able to hunt in the bow and arrow season as well as the gun season, that's how he's hunted so much. He's already promised my kids to give them some bow and arrow lessons, they're actually interested in it for fishing, we'll see!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.