The gear demo thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The gear demo thread.

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:27 am

I didnt see Mr Linn but maybe i had my specs off & then i cant see sht.

Mr teh suit told me just to ping him. How i do that?
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:02 pm

christianrock wrote:@PC - well that sucks on your OP-1. Are these things just poorly built or do you think you just got unlucky?

Combination of bad luck and stupidity when I put it in my bag and had the soy sauce lunchbox malfunction, would have been fine if there wasn't a small crack in my 'sealed' lunchbox.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:17 pm

In better news, I've just spent a few hours with the AY-3 and am finally getting to grips with getting the sounds I want from it... have yanked the two vids I did before when I found out what was making it sounds that 'off' wasn't just my lack of understanding so much as it disagreeing with the spring reverb I'd run it through that was making it go all phase distorty. :facepalm:

It's very pernickety and possibly the biggest killer is that the parameter setting LEDs are shared with the patch setting LEDs, so you can have some very weird cock ups, not so bad when I figured out that saving the patch also flips it back into preset rather than bank mode.

Some knobs that you'd expect to have a continuous range don't, changing midi channel while editing each voice individually doesn't carry the knob positions forwards from the previous voice and also, for some reason edit mode on the voice/mode matrix thingy only engages the first time you activate it, so you have to turn off that option for all the voices and restart to edit again... very slippery little customer.

Weirdest thing is that the unison poly and poly modes can seem to do very different things, poly proper when engaged for some reason turns off the lfo and envelopes, whereas changing to a single voice, playing a note and then going back to it reactivates the envelopes but not the lfo.

Unison/poly does a similar thing for some detune knob settings, but otherwise keeps the lfo but you still have to do the other thing to get the envelope back on, sucks without that as all six voices will carry on sounding as long as any note is being held down, but will stay on the pitch of the last note they were allocated, which is funky in the not good kind of way.

Gonna try and get some decent patches together then redo the demos.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:I didnt see Mr Linn but maybe i had my specs off & then i cant see sht.

Mr teh suit told me just to ping him. How i do that?

I dunno, but say hi to him from me. :thu:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:06 pm

Got the replacement OP-1 keyboard through, got sick of waiting for ifixit in the EU to order it in and bought from the US, expected to get hammered for handling fees and tax but it seems to have slid through.

Gonna wait until I have some decent daylight to ty and install.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby gregwar » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:25 am

nice pc hopefully it will be working 100% soon

i came across a shoot out between the d50 vst and a real d50 on synthtopia

i'm subscribed to the roland sound cloud but must have missed teh announcement

there's now a utility app for the roland cloud that keeps everything up to date which is a really nice tool

in other news i have a few days off and finally watched west world :wave:
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:36 pm

gregwar wrote:i'm subscribed to the roland sound cloud but must have missed teh announcement

Ugh... while it's nice to see this finally, the D-50 VST is part of the "Roland cloud"... and standard price is $30 a *month*? (Forget "beta" introductory price of "only" $20 a month, you know that won't last.)

I'd love to actually replace my aging hardware D-50 with something more conveniently computer-y... but not when half a year of cloud is the price of the entire Korg Legacy collection... or a year's worth of cloud is practically what hardware D-50s go for used.

I mainly use the D-50 for "spice" these days anyways... it's a nice sound, but digital synthesis has moved on. A year and a half of Roland cloud would buy you Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2... IMHO an entirely more useful digital synth these days... and a synth that you won't need to connect to the Internet to use. (As a side note, place your bets on whether the D-50 cloud VST will work 30 years from now, like the D-50 hardware actually does.)

Hate to say this, but with the current pricing scheme, I'll wait for the crack. At least with the crack you'll actually be able to "own" the synth! :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:04 pm

I always thought that the best thing about the D50 was the keybed. That and maybe the strings
ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:24 pm

i only like the sub model because its roland. if korg had one for their legacy collection i wouldn't care or a;most any other plug-in company except maybe uad

i personally think the older plug-ins from 2014 (? 2015 ?) like the promars, sh2, system 100, etc are worth the price of admission unless you have a fully loaded system 1 keyboard. although one of my buddies returned his system 1 with plug outs as he thought they didn't sound good.

i was a bit annoyed when they announced the jupiter 8 plug-in as i have the boutique already. but i couldn't resist getting the cloud at that time due to the juno 106, system 8 (amazing), and the d50 is just icing on the cake.

when i had a d550 (rack d50) i had the midi quest editor and had a difficult time finding useful sounds out of it lol. now i think a lot has changed and i'm more open to cheesy sounds. the same thing happened with my vz10m (rack of the casio cz synth). it was hard to find/make sounds that weren't cheese overload.

at the time around 2006-2010 i wanted all of my bases covered. like a mini moog mono, jupiter for analog poly, virus for a virtual analog, cz for phase dist, tg77 for amw2 and fm, dp4 for nice fx, all different boutique pedals for flanger, phaser, distortion, delay, etc.

these days i think plug-ins like monark actually sound *better* than my moog voyager. free plug ins like digits sound better or are at least much easier to use than my vz10m. if i want to play live i just need to bring my sm58 mic

these might not be the most amazing plug-ins ever but as a fan boi it is my sacred duty to defend every roland decision ever :tounge: :lol: :wink: :cool:

also, i think its cool roland is giving us the option to have plug-ins for convenience or buy system 1/8 and have "hardware" or at least outboard virtual analog versions of everything. i can't wait to see where the designer series goes the se-02 looks amaze balls
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:17 pm

The best thing about the D-50, from my viewpoint, is actually is to skip the presets (and actually not use the dated PCM section much) and program in your own stuff with the "virtual analogish" stuff that sounds nothing like analog. It's so-so at leads and not really a bass monster, but you can get some really crystalline, dreamy sort of pads, strings, and whatnot. Unfortunately it's bitchy to program without the PG-1000.

I don't use my D-50 hardware too much, unfortunately, partially because of the programming part, and partially because the sound, while nice, sort of clashes with modern digitals... the same uber-aliasing / lo-fi that gives the D-50 its "character" also seems to make it stand out like a sore thumb in certain cases when I've used it next to Omnisphere etc.

Still it looks like Roland did a great job, and it has been something people have been asking for. And the VST would be *much* easier to program. A shame about the pricing model. I'm wary of subscription based type things because any company (or even project) can go poof at any time. If you *own* it, company going poof is not a problem. As an example, I still have (and use quite frequently!) Camel Alchemy on my PC, even though Apple bought them and shut up that shop two years ago.

Personally, I think that eventually, they are going to have to make some adjustments, because people *often* play in places where you can't easily connect to the Internet. Any plugin that is truly worth a gigging musician's time therefore has to work well offline. So far reportedly the Cloud does not. And unfortunately the D-50 isn't a plug-out.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:58 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I always thought that the best thing about the D50 was the keybed. That and maybe the strings

D50 organ, man :jam: :jam: :jam:

:lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:23 pm

Well that was an interesting trip home.

A couple of days back I took a detour through Headingley to stop by my doctors and drop a prescription into the pharmacy, also to collect my bread and some other bits, forgot to pick up the stuff from the pharmacy on my way back.

So I took a detour again today, figured I'd take advantage and drop my MAM vocoder that's been on the fritz for a while and a cd player with a failed backlight into my analog guy who lives not far away, so I do that, then on the way to the pharmacy I see one of the hipster charity shops has a M-Audio MIDI controller keyboard in the window for £25... too good to pass up as I've wanted a controller keyboard for a while.

Checked before I bought and it does have a proper MIDI out, also has USB-MIDI out so not totally clear to me if it has both or if it sends USB-MIDI over the proper MIDI connector, it didn't come with a PSU so they said they hadn't tested it but I can bring it back in the next month if it's not ok.

Was planning on the analog guy being plan B for the OP-1 if I couldn't get it back together properly, as it is, I haven't really had time to look at that.

Not gonna have time tomorrow now as I'm doing a day trip to London to help stewart a protest against the government... I guess next week will be a big catch up week lol.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:24 pm

D50 never really grabbed me, although I still do gas from time to time for the Wavestation, the rare times they come up on Ebay now they're usually broken or have some sort of issue.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Purity_Control wrote:D50 never really grabbed me, although I still do gas from time to time for the Wavestation, the rare times they come up on Ebay now they're usually broken or have some sort of issue.

The Korg VST pretty much solves any Wavestation GAS for me. I still use mine on occasion.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Someone's been guarding this for me until I get round to putting it together:

Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:45 pm

Good news and bad news.

Good news is the midi controller I found in the charity shop works fine, I had a psu sat around that works with it and it sends proper midi.

Not so good news is I can't get anywhere with the OP-1 and TE are being a PITA... turns out when I disconnected the ribbon cables, the little black clippy bits I popped out were only supposed to slide back, instructions weren't clear, I've damaged a lug on each clippy thing and TE won't sell me some more and say I have to buy the whole circuit board that they're on.

It's on Ebay now. Just sick of it.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:47 pm

On a better note, this guy is funny and the spec. of the keyboard he's demonstrating is crazy for when it was made.

Beats the hell out of the underwear section, but you'll have to watch to find out why.

Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Oooooo I might have to give this a try!

Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:51 pm

I gotta say though the legendary cloud stuff sounds amazing.. like way better than most VST's i've heard.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:04 pm

Nice find in a second hand shop yesterday for £8

I'd expected this to be a like a beefed up version of the MT-20 I have sat around, instead it's.... odd.

Wasn't expecting monophonic for the main voice, guess chord accompanyment is generated separately, I thought it was missing a lithium battery from the 2nd battery chamber, turns out that's for the tape interface you could buy separately, there are tape connectors hidden on the back.

Seems to be working perfectly apart from a squeaky middle C, which is good going for the age.

Sequencer i really must play around with at some point, poss. the best thing it has going for it.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

PreviousNext

Return to KSS