The Studio Show Off & Build Thread

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Studio Show Off & Build Thread

Postby selfinflikted » Mon May 15, 2017 5:30 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Without pics, the Internet is just lies really

And even then, pics can be easily faked. We need video complete with smell-o-vision for confirmation.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Purity_Control » Mon May 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Out of curiosity, have any of you guys tried rack mounting your mixer vertically?

I'm debating moving that and the main effects processor across from the computer side of the room to the synth side, meaning I'll have fewer long cable runs, or I could move the midi/audio interface too and just have one longer USB run.

Mounting it vertically would be handy as I have a free standing rack thingy that would fit it nicely, and it also stops Eugene from sitting on to of it... current setup stops that by having it flat at the bottom of a mostly unused box shaped rack with his cushion on top, which is a bit annoying but nowhere near as annoying as it getting catted.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 pm

if you're more a set it and forget it person, go ahead! otherwise, I'd find adjusting it kinda awkward
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Mon May 15, 2017 11:35 pm

I have two of those adjustable angle racks with verticle rack space at the bottom - one for the control room recording console, and one for the live room PA. I used to have the mixer horizontal for a long time, but now they are both at 45 degree angles. I got used to it right away and like it.

STG had a knob based verticle mixer. I don't really like using them that way.

Of course none of this matters. Your setup is all about what YOU like. Try it out and see.
ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Tue May 16, 2017 5:27 pm

another thing is patching the mixer. i was doing quite a bit of this until i got a patch bay so preferably it would be accessible. i could see using a mixer at 45 degrees but not vertical, like clavwar said that's a preference thing.

these days i would rather go straight into my audio interface but again, that's a preference thing :grin:
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Tue May 16, 2017 5:50 pm

I sample more than anything and I'm tempted to go sub mixer to bigger mixer that goes out to out board and then back in through an interface. Then maybe run effects in and out to a patch panel.

Hmm m m .
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Tue May 16, 2017 7:13 pm

I am happy with my low-end Mackie mixer. It adds a color to the sound that without it, my recordings sound even more terribad. I like it horizontal, though.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue May 16, 2017 8:00 pm

I also prefer horizontal mixers but would make it work if it had to be vertical, I'm sure.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed May 17, 2017 12:22 am

selfinflikted wrote: I like it horizontal, though.

:oreallybird:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed May 17, 2017 5:51 pm

:doyouknowwhatimean.jpg:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon May 22, 2017 5:23 pm

:areyoupickingupwhati'mputtingdown:

:WELLAREYOU?:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon May 22, 2017 7:02 pm

amirite?! :idk:
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Fri May 26, 2017 3:24 am

:wave:
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Fri May 26, 2017 1:30 pm

ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri May 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Mixers, mixers, mixers.

Anyway.

We're moving to a new house in less than a month. My studio will downsize a little, as there will be no basement and I'll likely be using an office space that exists next to the bedrooms upstairs. But I think a few things will go into a closet, so for now I don't see selling any of my stuff. Just gonna get rid of one of my tables (I have two, one for music stuffs, one for office/working from home every once in a while - and in the drawers there's music stuffs - I think I'll keep the office one as it's bigger).

I'll have pics once it is all up... and hopefully I'll start recording again this year :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri May 26, 2017 4:26 pm

@cr well we sort of have preferences, i really like the writing phase...

if you want to just get the creative juices flowing you can make stuff with an iphone

i got a 7+ with 128gb back in feb this year and it is killer as a writing tool. i know i've mentioned many times beatboxing ideas into the voice memo app, i've got my dad polishing acoustic piano riffs (delete takes until it's right), he does acoustic guitar too

vocals can be multi tracked in some apps... there's the moog modular, maschine, mpc, beat hawk, garage band, korg gadgets, etc.

i did a ton of beats while commuting when i didn't have a car a few years back and now you could get pretty serious results. great tool if your studio is in boxes or just have 30 mins on the go.

ps. i'm sure this can also be done with android not trying to start a discussion on operation systems. i'm just an iphone user and not familiar with android
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Fri May 26, 2017 5:24 pm

The cell phone for recording is a good idea... I'll see what's available for Android.

But I have a different (more "classical"?) approach to writing... I write all the time. All I need is to hear the finished song in my head :) so I can even write while driving... in fact it's a great place to do it :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Fri May 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Noice
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:47 pm

gregwar wrote:ps. i'm sure this can also be done with android not trying to start a discussion on operation systems. i'm just an iphone user and not familiar with android

Android doesn't have latency low enough until at *least* Nougat, and (programmer opinion) their real time audio APIs still are rather inferior to the iOS IMHO.

For simpler stuff like voice recorders, there is plenty, and for the real time stuff Android is "catching up" (it isn't like a few years ago when there was literally no Android music apps). But I still think iOS is for the moment the main sensible choice for musicians based on current technology. (So this isn't like a typical "Mac vs. PC" deal, where honestly you can make music fine with either, and choice these days is largely centered on personal preferences.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Sat May 27, 2017 3:07 am

Well, poop. I don't have the money to get an iPhone. If I did, I'd probably get a Novation Circuit plus a Bass Station II :lol: or even one of those new Electribes...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

PreviousNext

Return to KSS