New synths for April

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

New synths for April

Postby soundwave106 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Looks like a couple of new keyboards have appeared on the horizon...

[*] Novation: They have a new 8 voice hybrid called the Novation Peak. My "first glance" impression: the sonics seem kind of on the sharp-edged side of things, not my cup of tea. Looks like interesting modulation though. The demo with the guy playing the synth with a Launchpad is weird. :lol:

[*] Waldorf: It looks like they are making this massive flagship concept synth called Quantum. IMHO there are some intriguing "early sounds", but good lord, 3000 EUR+ price? Still, the Q+ and Wave were might fine synths back in the day. Might be worth looking at if you won the lottery (and, given Waldorf's history, if they actually complete the thing :lol:).
BC | SC
soundwave106

Re: New synths for April

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:16 pm

I hear nothing about the peak I liked. I was like I have V station, can stack as many of those as I want.. :eyes:

I haven't heard of the Waldorf. :idk:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:58 pm

the new reaktor blocks were likely my fav announcement from the show!

i have gas for a bunch of synths like the waldorf, novation peak & circuit, deep mind, d, matrix brute, etc but no monies and no time to play them :idk:

i would also love to build a modular as there are so many great modules & whatnot but that seems like a luxury to me!

maybe i'll finally get around to building the diy modules & kits i've got but for jamming and making beats i really like kontakt, reaktor, and a few other soft synths like alchemy.

:kraftwerk:

ps. the soundtoys radiator and devil lok sound great dirtying up the roland plug-out synths available through the roland cloud. they are very cpu intensive tho !
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:20 pm

blocks looks interesting.. I was just checking that out. That may be a good modular route for me. I'm not 100% sold on getting into modular. Maybe one day.. however, my musical style, everything ends up so processed it doesn't matter what the source is and I often prefer the unique timbres that come from sampled sounds and I tend to prefer ROMplers more than anything :cry:

I have such a problem :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:57 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I have such a problem :lol:

We all do. :D
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Software modular might be the best modular for you precisely because you can use stuff like Reaktor as a VST effect.

However, I'll be honest, I picked up Reaktor 5 as part of some deal, but I haven't played with it a whole lot, despite there being a few unique ensembles out there. A little more fiddly I guess.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:31 am

Hmmm I'll be interested to hear the Peak (and to see the price of it...)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:19 pm

of all the "rehashed" synths i'm very interested in dekkard's dream which is based off the yamaha cs-80. here's an article from ask audio with an embedded ig vid:

https://ask.audio/articles/new-video-de ... rd-s-dream

:jam:

i'm also interested in erica synth's new russian (polivoks?) diy kit. but i didn't buy the 1.0 version when it was on sale and likely won't buy this one either as i can have 3 behrri "D"s for that price.

it is slightly alarming how behrri's extreme budget synths will affect other manufacturers in particular boutique outfits...

then again, when i've seen shootouts of substractive synths many of the vintage ones likely were either partially based off the moog model d or straight up copies. remaking the d and comparing it to a remake of a polivoks for example seems kind of absurd lol

at the end of the day creativity is more interesting than a rehash of a rehash of a rehash. stomp and blue man group are far more enjoyable banging on trash cans and pvc tubes than an upper middle class guys collection of vintage toys collecting dust lol
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:11 pm

I would like to be excited about dekkars dream, but I understand it that he implimented the usb incorrectly and incapacitated the synth with a design flaw.

I know of somebody else that's working on another though..
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Tue May 09, 2017 1:13 pm

What did anybody think of the peak? :idk:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Tue May 09, 2017 1:29 pm

MetroSonus wrote:What did anybody think of the peak? :idk:

1300 is all-analog kind of money these days. But still, if it's as good as they want us to think it is, it might be worth it.

I have to say that they designed what might be the best synth interface ever.

I've been in all-day meetings in a meeting room for a week (collaboration type software development). When I'm finally back at my desk I'm going to hunt down demos to listen to.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue May 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Have you guys played the new bass station mono? I don't actually know what it's called even though I had one in the studio for the last month :freak:

Anyway, they did a great job on it. It is very small and even though it's plastic, it is very solid and doesn't feel cheap. It has a ton of features and sounds great.

I bring this up because if that thing is any indication of the direction they went with the peak, then I have no reason to think the peak is anything less than awesome.

I'm not personnally interested in it however, because I recently bought and sold some super great poly synths, and I totally have that shit covered right nao.

(I do think that I might be a little interested in that model d thing but not sure...don't need...)
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed May 10, 2017 2:43 pm

I has an impressed.. you mean the novation circuit mono? innedly cooly. But at 500$... why not peak?!

I am a fan of the bass station 2
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed May 10, 2017 4:54 pm

It has my interest. If they have one @ Sweetfest next month, I will certainly attempt to monkey with it.

-

Also, will u guize hate me if I say that I think the best sounding 'vintage' polysynth was Teh Memorymoog? (& yes I has spent some time with one).
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed May 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:

It has my interest. If they have one @ Sweetfest next month, I will certainly attempt to monkey with it.

-

Also, will u guize hate me if I say that I think the best sounding 'vintage' polysynth was Teh Memorymoog? (& yes I has spent some time with one).

No, the MemoryMoog was sweet. I remember some really nice sounding demos that Paolo did with his.

Also, I'd say the Peak sounds very sweet. Definitely a tweak on the usual Novation sound, keeping some of its characteristics but adding a much nicer character to the sound. IMHO. That's a pretty good filter they have there.

Oh, and from looking at the youtube video comments... Bob is quite intrigued :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed May 10, 2017 5:44 pm

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed May 10, 2017 6:15 pm

I am a fan of teh moog source. I'll listen to some memory moog stuffs..
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Wed May 10, 2017 7:07 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:

-

:love: the memorymoog. I've never played one, but I've listened to them since I was a kid.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Wed May 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Feast your ears

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Thu May 11, 2017 4:37 pm

i know plug-ins are not the same as vintage hardware but xls labs just announced polyp which is a stab at a poly moog.

https://ask.audio/articles/polymoog-ins ... oming-soon

there's a bunch of demos on the xls website. their last plug-in sounded pretty amazing from what i remember.
gregwar

Next

Return to KSS