The gear demo thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The gear demo thread.

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Second longer part coming shortly... bit miffed I lost a chunck of this while editing that really nailed a Galaxians type sound, didn't find out 'till I'd foniished editing and wasn't inclined to redo from the top:

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:19 pm

It's definitely a unique bit of kit, only thing I can loosely liken it to is the Sequential Sixtrack, which did use chips that were made for arcade games but not wanted for that application, Six Track didn't have this much character though. Similar in that there seems to be a disproportionate amount of phase cancellation between the voices.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:49 am

Plink Floyd wrote: :mad:

:lol:

The OP-1 actually looks like it comes with a standard ol' USB mini jack. The one sucky thing about USB-MIDI, though, is that most USB MIDI instruments (as far as I know) cannot act as a host.

So it's not like you can plug a OP-1 into a P6 and have one control the other, or vice versa. You need to plug both into a computer and then software route the appropriate configurations. Or get a separate box that converts USB MIDI to regular MIDI -- all the options I've seen are fairly expensive for what it is.

I like USB MIDI for working with computers, but if you don't want computers involved at all, USB MIDI is actually kind of lousy compared to ye olde 1983 original "old skool" MIDI protocol.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:57 am

Having checked that out, I think you're right... seems to defeat the object of having midi to a degree lol didn't see that coming.

Not that big a deal though, I'll try running proper midi from the P6 into the computer and see if I can midi-ox it to the usb port.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:14 pm

Had a bit of a play with the OP-1 tonight, not feeling well so not for long (gonna get an early night) I did manage to get midi-ox to take normal midi from the P6 and send back out to the OP-1... bit of a pain for trailing cables, synth engines are interesting, really need to bod up on how the individual ones work.

I might bag a Kenton midi host, looks like i could probably get one used for £40-£50, would save boiling my piss on a regular basis, and handy to have, as most newer kit now seems to be increasingly going over to USB.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:04 pm

I just looked over that Kenton MIDI host, looks like the ticket to me. I wonder if anyone's making a simple box that can host multiple devices so that they can all be hooked up with USB instead of having to resort to old-school MIDI cables?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:27 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I just looked over that Kenton MIDI host, looks like the ticket to me. I wonder if anyone's making a simple box that can host multiple devices so that they can all be hooked up with USB instead of having to resort to old-school MIDI cables?

You mean to interface with just each other, or to the computer?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:02 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
ElectricPuppy wrote:I just looked over that Kenton MIDI host, looks like the ticket to me. I wonder if anyone's making a simple box that can host multiple devices so that they can all be hooked up with USB instead of having to resort to old-school MIDI cables?

You mean to interface with just each other, or to the computer?

To just connect with each other without a computer.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:06 pm

Purity_Control wrote: would save boiling my piss on a regular basis.

I probably missed somethin here, happens a lot.

I'm still hoping this is more English slang though.
ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:45 pm

lol it is slang, just means something that annoys the heck out of you.

I had a bit of a play with the OP-1 synth engines today, have a 30 minute commute by train to work so it stuck it in my backpack with some headphones :thu: good time for fiddling around.

Do love the sound of the onboard engines, some are easier to figure out than others. The 8 bit one is very sweet. Over the weekend I might try sampling something and see how that handles.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Hey PC, have you looked up the videos on Youtube by a guy that goes by "Red Means Recording"? He's done some fantastic stuff with the OP-1.

...did I mention this already? :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Sun May 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Finally got around to finishing this up:

Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Update on the OP-1, have decided the best move for now is to get a replacement keyboard, they're not that expensive, and see if that sorts the issue out. If i buy from the US I'll get wacked for VAT at 20% plus hefty handling fees so waiting for an email from ifixit in the EU to let me know they're back in stock.

If that fails I'll try my local repair guy, he hates anything that he calls a computer (can fix anything analog) but is still got if it's a mechanical issue that's beyond me, he sorted one of the pots on the Memotron a while back.

Was debating returning to Thomann.de for out of warrenty repair, turns out though they have handling fees too that would be incurred even if they decide they don't want to repair it, which they might, so I could potentially end up with 100Euros on fees and postage and be no further on.

Need to get some quality time with the AY-3 again soon, very pernickety little beast that needs more patience than I've had for a while... if anything have been concentrating on bringing my playing on lately more than anything else.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:21 pm

@PC - well that sucks on your OP-1. Are these things just poorly built or do you think you just got unlucky?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Didn't she spill a beer in it or something??

Wait, that might have been Teh Plink
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:56 am

I have spilled a beer on almost everything.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:19 am

Ha. Well don't spill one on STG tomorrow, he'll be at Gearfest, so you should definitely look for him. I want to go, but there's no way I can swing it. You should also look for a guy named Matt Baxley. He might even be a member here, but he's really cool. He'll be at the Tascam booth.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Is that the sweetwater gear fest? Isn't plink our ususal in house reporter for the event? :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:13 am

Im here! I seen him! He gimme a CD! His tie had moog silkscreen grafics on it! I bumped into him by the Novachord. I shook him by the hand & talked with him for ten minutes & then the people he was with had to split. But I expect to see him tomorrow.

Im not gonna say much moar now cause im typing on a kindle & that sux but its all good here

Btw i lubs me some deep mind it has an amazeballz grafix interface tablet thing...
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:30 am

Awesome, I'm glad you met him, and I hope you spend some time together tomorrow.

Oh, and by 'the people with him' do you mean Roger Linn?
ClavAnother

PreviousNext

Return to KSS