The Keyboards In My Life

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Keyboards In My Life

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm a korg whore.. use your imagination.

Self, what happened with the GAIA? Not as advertised or you didn't like it that much?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:40 pm

It was a terrible, terrible synth! The wave forms were not rendered real time - they were samples. SAMPLES.

SAMPLES!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm fine with samples.. lol. I thought you knew this though.. :lol: Didn't what's his faces arguments on the subject teach you anything? Honestly that's why most people were pissed.. a rompler in VA clothing.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:14 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I'm fine with samples.. lol. I thought you knew this though.. :lol: Didn't what's his faces arguments on the subject teach you anything? Honestly that's why most people were pissed.. a rompler in VA clothing.

Yes exactly, and no I did not know that prior to buying. Thankfully, Sweetwater has an excellent return policy :D
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:54 pm

First synth was a combination Roland A-80/Korg NS5R back in 1999. I used it on a record I produced for a band I was in, in 2001. The record came out in 2002. I should upload it at some point, that was before mp3s were big... it's not online at all (like all records I've done so far, it flopped :lol:)

Then it sat unused for 5-6 years, when I started to play keys again, and record again... then next came the Fantom XR with the 2nd piano expansion, I think it was SRX-11, as until then I was basically just practicing piano, but that didn't last all that long. The Fusion is really where I started enjoying synths.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:01 pm

a good additive alternative is razor by errorsmith. it makes the most punishing basses because you are working with crisp & clean sine waves.

the alchemy additive engine in logic is odd. the plug-in is very deep so maybe i used it wrong.

anyways, the way i used it was loading a sample into the additive engine. it then tries to resynthesize the sound using partials. from there you can do a lot of editing but i've not tried just making a sound without resynthesizing
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:23 pm

christianrock wrote:First synth was a combination Roland A-80/Korg NS5R back in 1999. I used it on a record I produced for a band I was in, in 2001. The record came out in 2002. I should upload it at some point, that was before mp3s were big... it's not online at all (like all records I've done so far, it flopped :lol:)

Then it sat unused for 5-6 years, when I started to play keys again, and record again... then next came the Fantom XR with the 2nd piano expansion, I think it was SRX-11, as until then I was basically just practicing piano, but that didn't last all that long. The Fusion is really where I started enjoying synths.

I am very unfamiliar with the Fusion. I would like to research it. I remember once a long while back you posted some Vangelis stuff that (I think) you'd done on the Fusion. It sounded nice, but aside from hearing that - I know next to nothing about it. I'll have to do some YouTubing.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:36 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:First synth was a combination Roland A-80/Korg NS5R back in 1999. I used it on a record I produced for a band I was in, in 2001. The record came out in 2002. I should upload it at some point, that was before mp3s were big... it's not online at all (like all records I've done so far, it flopped :lol:)

I am very unfamiliar with the Fusion. I would like to research it. I remember once a long while back you posted some Vangelis stuff that (I think) you'd done on the Fusion. It sounded nice, but aside from hearing that - I know next to nothing about it. I'll have to do some YouTubing.

The Fusion is very, very powerful as a synth and as a sampler. But the interface is pretty much stuck in the 90s, so I don't think you'd click with it very much.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:25 pm

christianrock wrote:The Fusion is very, very powerful as a synth and as a sampler. But the interface is pretty much stuck in the 90s, so I don't think you'd click with it very much.

Same can be said of the KingKRIG, sans sampling. Well, at least as far as the interface. It's a top of the line VA (imo) but the interface is poop. So, that's definitely something I can live with/get beyond. But I just wanna research it from an academic standpoint anyway. I'm not looking to get one, I just wanna know more about how it sounds :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:33 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:The Fusion is very, very powerful as a synth and as a sampler. But the interface is pretty much stuck in the 90s, so I don't think you'd click with it very much.

Same can be said of the KingKRIG, sans sampling. Well, at least as far as the interface. It's a top of the line VA (imo) but the interface is poop. So, that's definitely something I can live with/get beyond. But I just wanna research it from an academic standpoint anyway. I'm not looking to get one, I just wanna know more about how it sounds :)

Oh the KingKROGUS has a ton of knobs to turn and only advanced things are done via menus. The Fusion is ALL menus. There's some assignable knobs (4) for live tweaking but they have to be programmed into the patches, making it even more laborious. I find it easier to tweak than to create, for that reason.

But the sound (IMHO) is top notch and the ability to layer samples with synths (including a VERY versatile 6-op FM synth!!) is almost limitless.

This doesn't scratch the surface but it shows how you can go from one sound to something totally different (and the synth engine, FM engine and Physical Modeling engine are real, no samples! and can be freely layered with anything):

Last edited by christianrock on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:37 pm

christianrock wrote:But the sound (IMHO) is top notch and the ability to layer samples with synths (including a VERY versatile 6-op FM synth!!) is almost limitless.

Ah, so it can do that! I wondered. Is there a computer editor for it? Seems like that would make things easier.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:42 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:But the sound (IMHO) is top notch and the ability to layer samples with synths (including a VERY versatile 6-op FM synth!!) is almost limitless.

Ah, so it can do that! I wondered. Is there a computer editor for it? Seems like that would make things easier.

Unfortunately... no. :(

Here's some pads a guy wrote with it... it seems to be used for pads a lot

I love layering analog pads with an orchestral patch... I should do a demo of that :) and maybe write a song in the meantime....
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Well that was just lovely.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:05 pm

christianrock wrote:
Oh the KingKROGUS has a ton of knobs to turn and only advanced things are done via menus

:cop: latching an arpeggiator is not advanced. They fucked up not having a dedicated switch. Same thing with the Sledge.

Best keyboard I ever programmed? OB6.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:15 pm

ClavAnother wrote:
christianrock wrote:
Oh the KingKROGUS has a ton of knobs to turn and only advanced things are done via menus

:cop: latching an arpeggiator is not advanced. They fucked up not having a dedicated switch. Same thing with the Sledge.

Best keyboard I ever programmed? OB6.

Ah that is true...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Actually, the KingKGOR doesn't have a "ton" of knobs. It only has knobs for the most immediate things. I can easily live with it, though, because most Korg VA menus are nearly identical. And as we all know, MS2000.

Do you still have yours, Clavicle? (KK)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:37 pm

The KiNgKrInG, the MS2Kb, teh Sledge, the JP8000000...all gone. The System 8? I think it will be here for quite some time.

I was listening to this video while I was at work today, this synth is such a killer!

ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Yea. I just donated a bit of cash to VAC's GoFundMe for an OB6 to make his next album with. It is a lovely bit of synthery.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:51 pm

This is a good thread, and I fully intend to participate, but every time I start my list some dam thing
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:52 pm

that is pretty cool... you had a sledge?
MetroSonus

PreviousNext

Return to KSS