Other people's music

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Other people's music

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:02 pm

UGH

YOU BASTERDS

now I have that stupid stupid song in my head, and I didn't even play the stupid video! DAAAAAAMMMIIT
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:13 pm

This is actually for real lol what we did before pop videos:

1978 chart here was weird mix of disco and punk. :freak:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:14 pm

ClavAnother wrote:
soundwave106 wrote:
ClavAnother wrote:I will say that I will support ANY record made in 1974. I don't think I've ever heard anything I didn't like from 1974

Usually the Top 100 charts from any era have a few clunkers (from my perspective), so I took a look at 1974.

At #28 is Paul Anka's "Having My Baby".

So, sorry, I will have to disagree with you. :lol:

I do think the 2016 charts are filled with more disposable pop than 1974. Donnie and Marie Osmond are on the Hot 100 of 1974, so you can't complain *too* much about Justin Bieber in 2016. But I'm not really seeing an artist with the musical stature of a Jackson 5 or Aretha Franklin or even John Denver on the 2016 charts.

(You've got a few modern Madonna types, where a lot of the appeal is style, like Rihanna... but a lot of the actual music in pop land just feels disposable to me. I would say this might be an "off my lawn" scenario if it weren't for the feeling that there's a lot of good music *not* in pop land.)

Nicely said.

So look, I had never heard of that song before so I looked it up. While it is certainly not my kind of thing, I think it's a lot better than some other crap I've heard, and really Elton John isn't my style either, and this tune has the same rhodes stuff on it and a rhides is good, so I'm found to give it a pass.

I wasn't familiar with the song, either.

With different lyrics it could have actually been a passable if unremarkable song. I've heard worse musically, but yeah the lyrics are a bit cringe-worthy, yet considering the events that were taking place at the time (the legalization of abortion had just happened), it probably rang a bell with a lot of listeners.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Purity_Control wrote:This is actually for real lol what we did before pop videos:

1978 chart here was weird mix of disco and punk. :freak:

DAT BASS

And what a voice she had...

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:28 pm

the rhodes @ 6:20

ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:35 pm

ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:36 pm

ClavAnother wrote:the rhodes @ 6:20

I like me some nice Rhodes. Good find.

I put this playing now while I'm listening to a recorded meeting that I missed and have to fill out a form about it. It definitely made the meeting more listenable :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:58 am

NSFW: show
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:32 pm

"Did you hear it? It shows you things... horrible things. The dark inside me. From the other place. I won't go back there - I won't."

Gah I love this song. It's an oldie but a goodie.

ALSO - In the "Up Next" column, PC's Modular Arse shows up. I was like :jam: . I would post a screenshot, but I don't have anywhere to host it.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm on a huge Yes kick the last couple weeks. I love all of Yes - Prog yes (Steve Howe Yes), YesWest or PopYes (Trevor Rabin Yes), even Yeggles (Yes + Buggles in the Drama album, one of my favorites :lol:). Even the non-Yes that is still Yes (Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, Anderson Rabin Wakeman). I can't get enough Yes apparently... as long as it has no Benoit David or Jon Davison on vocals (recent Yes). One sings flat (Benoit) and the other is just... uninspiring to me. Trevor Rabin on vocals or Trevor Horn is still ok to me, but obviously it needs Jon Anderson to really be Yes.

The most incredible thing is that Jon Anderson is 72 and is hitting ALL the notes. Impecable pitch as always. I've NEVER heard him flunk a note. Never. And there's a TON of live stuff online from the last almost 50 years....

And here's Travis' boy playing drums with them (DrumBoy?)

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Funny, I had Close to the Edge and Fragile on very heavy rotation several months ago. I couldn't get into there later stuff, though.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:24 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote: I couldn't get into there later stuff, though.

TRIGGERED
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

derp! And I know better, too, but it's early and I'm not awake yet. I'ma leave that for you to stare at, though, Miek. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Oh I know that you know that I know that you know better.

Believe me.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:03 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Funny, I had Close to the Edge and Fragile on very heavy rotation several months ago. I couldn't get into there later stuff, though.

I just love it all. I was 13 when 90125 came out so that's the first Yes I ever heard, Leave It absolutely blew my teenage mind from a musical standpoint (I still think that song is a huge mark in the music industry). 70s Yes took me years to get into, but I love it now.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:02 pm

christianrock wrote:The most incredible thing is that Jon Anderson is 72 and is hitting ALL the notes. Impecable pitch as always. I've NEVER heard him flunk a note. Never. And there's a TON of live stuff online from the last almost 50 years....

Ya, I like it when oldsters can still kick it. Weird thing about Anderson's vocals, though: the notes he's hitting aren't as high as you think they are. I'm not a particularly stratospheric tenor, but I can easily hit any note that I've heard recorded by him.

You other singers, try it yourselves, I'd be interested if it's the same for y'all.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:29 am

The "typical" tenor range is reportedly up to the C above middle C at most. Jon sings a little above that sometimes (on Awaken he hits the D above middle C a bit, for instance). So a bit higher than "standard tenor repertoire", but not unusually so.

Nothing like Rush's Geddy Lee for instance (he goes up to at least an F above a middle C in "Free will").

My natural range is baritone. Except I can't sing. So my natural range is "none". :) But if I could, C5 is actually a strain. In contrast, G2 is the lowest "not very strained" note.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:51 am

Also, how is this not one of the coolest industrial songs ever written? So 80's.

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Also, I can't listen to this song without a big grin. This guy's voice just tickles me. In a good way. And this song gives such a happy vibe.

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:10 pm

selfinflikted wrote:"Did you hear it? It shows you things... horrible things. The dark inside me. From the other place. I won't go back there - I won't."

Gah I love this song. It's an oldie but a goodie.

ALSO - In the "Up Next" column, PC's Modular Arse shows up. I was like :jam: . I would post a screenshot, but I don't have anywhere to host it.

Velvet Acid Christ are one of those bands that have gone some good songs but you can't dance to them, so they never got much play back when I used to club.

Try http://imgsafe.org/
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.