Jam With Tapes™

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Jam With Tapes™

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Long jam. Nice :thu:

The new stuff I'm working on is blues-influenced rock. I hope I'll get to record some of it in the coming months. But I have to say, keyboards are taking a bit of a back seat in that kind of stuff...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:15 am

christianrock wrote:Long jam. Nice :thu:

The new stuff I'm working on is blues-influenced rock. I hope I'll get to record some of it in the coming months. But I have to say, keyboards are taking a bit of a back seat in that kind of stuff...

Send me tracks and I'll put organ in them
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 pm

ClavAnother wrote:
christianrock wrote:Long jam. Nice :thu:

Send me tracks and I'll put organ in them

I like that idea. Very appreciated. If we use some of that Rhodes in there as well in some of the slower songs that'll be fantastic.

I'm probably going to be using one of my two drummer friends that have a studio where they can record good sounding drums, one's here in Atlanta and one's in Florida. I'll see who's available. THIS MIGHT BE THE BEGINNING OF AWESOME
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:53 am

christianrock wrote:
ClavAnother wrote:
christianrock wrote:Send me tracks and I'll put organ in them

I like that idea. Very appreciated. If we use some of that Rhodes in there as well in some of the slower songs that'll be fantastic.

In the last few years I've been working with a couple studios that send me mp3's out of the blue every so often so that I can play organ and Rhodes for their clients. I've ended up on several records of people I've never even met :grin: I do the sessions, basically forget about them and one day I'll get a check in the mail, often with a nice hand written thank you letter from the artist. One guy actually mailed me a CD but I...haven't...listened..to..it..yet :facepalm:

Anyway, I mention this because It's kind of easy for me to do - I mean because I've done it before. The hardest part is finding time, but that's the same for everything these days.

I am halfway done putting vocals on Miek's version of Broken Wings. I did it last summer or something (don't really remember) but I didn't have time to finish in one session, and I haven't gone back yet :facepalm: :facepalm:
ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Mainly involves 4 ring mods!

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:14 am

I like the quick bit at 7:29
ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:14 am

Cheers. I was trying to keep this one a bit more subtle, usually end up ramping the sequencer into the audio range, it gets a bit samey though so wanted to avoid this time.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Did I ever mention that jams with tapes sounds like an awesome Indian name?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Purity_Control wrote:

An error has occurred?...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:01 am

MetroSonus wrote:Did I ever mention that jams with tapes sounds like an awesome Indian name?

It's ok I guess :idk:

Jamming With The Tapes

:lol:
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:24 pm

Teh Google (TM) Image Search on Jam With Tapes mostly brings up cassette tapes (what's that?) of notable early sharp dressed (!) punk band The Jam (Oi oi oi!).

In honor of this melding of Britain and India in one thread, I'll have a dish of chicken tikka masala.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Speaking of tapes.

I've literally been thinking about tapes... I've been seeing if I can find an affordable Tascam 688 (8-track cassete tape). My plan would be to do all my basic tracks including drum programming in the Fusion, then do a stereo recording in the 688 which would leave me 6 extra channels - 3 for vocals, one for bass, two for guitars. Then the final mix goes into my Mac for mastering.

I feel good about this. Tapes, man.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:48 pm

There is something to be said for plain old reel to reel. It feels more like recording and less like doing spreadsheets. :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:02 am

christianrock wrote:Speaking of tapes.

I've literally been thinking about tapes... I've been seeing if I can find an affordable Tascam 688 (8-track cassete tape). My plan would be to do all my basic tracks including drum programming in the Fusion, then do a stereo recording in the 688 which would leave me 6 extra channels - 3 for vocals, one for bass, two for guitars. Then the final mix goes into my Mac for mastering.

I feel good about this. Tapes, man.

We did many recordings with that thing, My brother had one and still has dozens of Tapes™ and we were just talking about trying to find another machine so we could mix down some of that stuff. They are rather hard to find now. Just so you know, if you get one, it is a very good piece of kit. Srsly, its easier to find a 2488 on the cheeep though, and much more flexible.

Tapes man.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:09 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:There is something to be said for plain old reel to reel. It feels more like recording and less like doing spreadsheets. :grin:

qft, but I have to say, I never thought I'd say this...but i've been using Digital performer on a Mac for 11 years, and I love it. I do still use various notepads like my phone, or an ipad, the sony PCM-D50, or whatever, but the studio is very happy running OSX 10.6.8 and DP7. Its a stable situation, and I'm good at editing, and storage is pretty easy to deal with.

Look, I'd love to record on to 2" tape, but it makes no sense to do so for me today. I mean, it sounds great, but the stuff I do today sounds great too. I'm snobby enough, I don't need a neve and a studor taboot shit. that would be teh awesome though..........
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:48 am

Ok, I'm gonna put this out there...

If you listen to this, be patient; I think there is value in there. There was probably some monitoring issues with regards to tempo syncing and we weren't trying to prove anything, but no matter what, this kind of therapy can't be bought.

Thats me on the OB6 with a taste of S8, then moving on to one of my hollowbodys whilst setting the colored lights on my phone between beats, then breaking a string and moving to the Hammond/rhodes/cp60, and then pulling out the other hollowbody, and then fiddling with I think the S8.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9eid4bptpcz67q/BP%2004182017.mp3?dl=0

Let me knowbif the link is hosed
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:06 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Srsly, its easier to find a 2488

Yeah but... no tapes, man. :samsh:

Tapes man.

Indeed :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:20 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:There is something to be said for plain old reel to reel. It feels more like recording and less like doing spreadsheets. :grin:

The 688 is just a cassete tape recorder. But I've heard one song made with it that sounded very good. That smooth tape compression. I'm sure there's some audio leaking between tracks with that small a tape giving 8 tracks, but that shouldn't be a huge deal.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:22 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Ok, I'm gonna put this out there...

If you listen to this, be patient; I think there is value in there. There was probably some monitoring issues with regards to tempo syncing and we weren't trying to prove anything, but no matter what, this kind of therapy can't be bought.

Thats me on the OB6 with a taste of S8, then moving on to one of my hollowbodys whilst setting the colored lights on my phone between beats, then breaking a string and moving to the Hammond/rhodes/cp60, and then pulling out the other hollowbody, and then fiddling with I think the S8.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9eid4bptpcz67q/BP%2004182017.mp3?dl=0

Let me knowbif the link is hosed

It's a jam recording (46 minutes)? Sounds a bit muted and low (recorded from a distance?) but the link is working. And the jamming is good :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

PreviousNext

Return to KSS