Roland System 8

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Roland System 8

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:28 am

selfinflikted wrote:LOL @ on/off switches.

Yes, the interfaces on the Boutiques are tiny, but TO ME the resistance is such that having a small throw as they do isn't really that big of a problem unless you have nubs for fingers and you do NOT have finger nubs, Clav. You play guitar too well for those.

The JP sliders are half the size of the JU sliders. It's bad.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:44 am

So here are some things that are a bit strange that I'll give you a heads up on: The System 8 uses the entire control surface, but the plug outs just use whatever controls are appropriate for the emulation. So some of the knobs are labeled for they Sys 8 and have a different function for the Jupiter, so it takes a second to reorient yourself when reading the panel. Once you turn a knob, it's value is shown in the LCD display though, and it also shows the name of the function so there is a reference on board.

For instance, the Sys 8 has like a half dozen or more arpeggiator modes and the Jupiter has four, so as you turn the rotary switch, it goes from up, down, up/down, random, random, random...

Oh, and a good one to mention, the Jupiter 8 arpeggiator is really weird, it doesn't actually go up and down, it goes Forward, and Backward. It also always goes by note order so if you want up, you have to play in the series of notes that way. Also they improved it in the sense that the original doesn't have latch, it has hold which is like sustain. Which is irritating. The Jupiter emulation latches like an arp should.

One other difference is that the JP8 had a single knob for the osc 1 and 2 mix, which I like very much, but the Sys 8 still uses the separate levels for the mixer. I like the original because of cross fading.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 am

ClavAnother wrote:
The JP sliders are half the size of the JU sliders. It's bad.

For real, doh? Well, damn.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 am

ClavAnother wrote:So here are some things that are a bit strange that I'll give you a heads up on: The System 8 uses the entire control surface, but the plug outs just use whatever controls are appropriate for the emulation. So some of the knobs are labeled for they Sys 8 and have a different function for the Jupiter, so it takes a second to reorient yourself when reading the panel. Once you turn a knob, it's value is shown in the LCD display though, and it also shows the name of the function so there is a reference on board.

For instance, the Sys 8 has like a half dozen or more arpeggiator modes and the Jupiter has four, so as you turn the rotary switch, it goes from up, down, up/down, random, random, random...

Oh, and a good one to mention, the Jupiter 8 arpeggiator is really weird, it doesn't actually go up and down, it goes Forward, and Backward. It also always goes by note order so if you want up, you have to play in the series of notes that way. Also they improved it in the sense that the original doesn't have latch, it has hold which is like sustain. Which is irritating. The Jupiter emulation latches like an arp should.

One other difference is that the JP8 had a single knob for the osc 1 and 2 mix, which I like very much, but the Sys 8 still uses the separate levels for the mixer. I like the original because of cross fading.

You can still crossfade, just use two hands :P

Also, I have to admit. I was listening to some JP8 demos last night in anticipation of having the emulation on the S8. I am in love all over again with the sound. Juno and Jupiter emulations, YES PLS.

Finally, I did sell my Minilogue. :eek:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:11 pm

So you're analogless now?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Yes. I decided to keep the ML, but then last evening an offer came through Reddit that I couldn't refuse.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:12 pm

And I'm still getting bites on the JU-106, which is now redundant in my studio, but no takers. And that's the one I meant to sell the most. lulz.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:19 pm

If I only had a system 8 I don't think I'd be too worried that it wasn't analog. But I guess I'll always have an analog because of the liberation. I actually have six analogs right now. Need to sell some crap
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Yea. Analogue vs Digital has never really registered on my radar. I couldn't care less how the sound is produced as long as it's the sound I like. Plus, digital is just convenient as hell.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Although analog is better
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Don't make me start throat punching babies today.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:56 pm

I have been screwed by FedEx.

That is all.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:03 pm

But you'll get it Time for Teh week end
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Doubtful. I am on the phone with FedEx now and they cannot find my address "in their system" even though we get nearly weekly deliveries from them. UGH.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:07 pm

That sucks.

Hopefully the package isn't lost or anything like that.

"You can't find my address that you deliver to every week? Let me speak to your manager..."
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Just got off the phone with the FOURTH representative at the customer support place for FedEx. These people wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. I had to get downright ugly.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Did they sound Indian? Just asking... cuz I'm a bit tired of getting connected to people in India that just read from a set of pre-determined questions/answers on a computer system. As soon as you ask something that's not there, they try to find something similar and give you a completely non-sequitur answer.

That kind of cost-savings is one of the things that killed my previous employer, who used to rank #1 in customer satisfaction, until they let go 6,000 people in one day and transferred all these jobs to India. Within a couple years they were on a downward spiral of market share they never recovered from.

I'm not saying that's what's going on at FedEx at all tho, I don't know, haven't talked to them in many years.

/rant
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 pm

christianrock wrote:Did they sound Indian? Just asking... cuz I'm a bit tired of getting connected to people in India that just read from a set of pre-determined questions/answers on a computer system. As soon as you ask something that's not there, they try to find something similar and give you a completely non-sequitur answer.

That kind of cost-savings is one of the things that killed my previous employer, who used to rank #1 in customer satisfaction, until they let go 6,000 people in one day and transferred all these jobs to India. Within a couple years they were on a downward spiral of market share they never recovered from.

/rant

YES! Three of the four were definitely Indian, and the other - I didn't recognize the accent. But none of them were American. ALL FOUR gave me different answers to the same questions.

"I will have the driver call you and get directions."

"Our drivers cannot call our customers. That is against the rules."

"The hub will call you for directions that they will pass on to the driver."

"The hub cannot call our customers. Who told you that?"

I was so loud and mean that the guy in the office across the hall from me slinked over and quietly shut my door. I guess everyone could hear me. But the incompetence is MADDENING.

F*CKING TELL ME HOW TO GET MY PACKAGE.

"They will attempt delivery again tomorrow. Thank you for using FedEx."

:samsh:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Just got home from STG Sound Labs. I brought the System 8 there to thoroughly compare to the Jupiter 8.

Basically I am now perfectly comfortable with the thought that I will probably not get the chance to own a vintage JP8. It honestly gave me a bit of a longing pain in my heart before, but I am totally at peace now.
-----------------
A few notes:

I devised a cunning plan to compensate for the Osc 1/2 crossfade issue which I posted about previously. More to come.

We discovered a problem with the System 8 that can be corrected in a firmware update: when you connect an expression pedal, it does not express the VCA, it attenuates the Master Volume. This is unacceptable in a synth that has on board time based effects.

There was one more issue that needs to be explored, but the Jupiter plug out arpeggiator doesn't respond to time division changes; the knob changes octaves - need to look into this further, but it could be because the synth is globally set to external clock, but we didn't have a clock source connected. Not sure if this is relevant, but as I said, needs to be looked into.
---------------
OK, back to the A/B:

There were instances where the S8 seemed brighter than the old JP. However, after we had moved on to explore the other engines, we realized that the VCA has a tone knob, and it is unconfirmed if the physical setting was reflecting the system setting.

Also there were differences when playing open voicings, and it sounded like they tracked the keys differently.

It mostly sounded like calibration variances.

STG shared a story where a friend of his that owned multiple TB303s, and also had experience with other people's 303s, while initially reviewing the xoxbox, remarked that all the TB303s he had ever used sounded slightly different to each other, and the xoxbox just sounded like another different 303. We considered that this could be true here as well, but nobody has access to a handful of JP8s.

So ultimately, when either of us turned away, or closed our eyes, we had no way of knowing which was being played. The exception was where I was aware that he was playing them, with the JP in his left hand, and the S8 in the right, the identical phrases where performed differently and that was a tell for me.

I found it most convincing when I played identical left and right hand phrases on each board separately, then the same phrases alternating left-JP/right-S8, left-S8/right-JP, you could not tell any difference.

So anyway, it sounds just like a Jupiter 8. Pretty cool, man.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Regarding the Juno 106, he commented that they got the Juno chorus right, but I pointed out that there doesn't appear to be a chorus 3, or chorus 1+2, if you will, which is possible on the original.

He only has Juno 60s and 6s, so we didn't compare them outright.

Still we both agreed that the Juno emulation sounds super nice.
ClavAnother

PreviousNext

Return to KSS