A-Frame Synth Stands

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

A-Frame Synth Stands

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Do you guys use A-Frames? I never did and I never liked them until seeing four of them full of vintage synths at STG's place. Anyway, he gave me one the other day, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of the depth (footprint), or the height. I do like the width though.

So would I be wrong in assuming that Plinkster always used them? I figured they came with his Don Johnson jackets so he'd have a place to hang them up.
ClavAnother

Re: A-Frame Synth Stands

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:10 am

I never used them. I always thought the back half of the frame was wasted space, too much footprint.

IMHO.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:01 am

At one time (roughly say 15 years ago), I did. Got rid of them during one of the studio downsizes.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:31 am

Yes. that back side is rather off putting. I was hoping to save studio space by going higher and a bit wider; I wanted to be able to put a drum machine next to each synth and have the mixer, and sequencer, and other small stuff on a level. I am thinking it may not work out though.

It does provide a great display center for the polysix, Juno 6, and ESQ1 that are about to hit the chopping block though
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:04 am

ClavAnother wrote:So would I be wrong in assuming that Plinkster always used them?

That is correct: you would be wrong, Sir. I only have a couple sets now because I scooped them up cheap. I also have a couple of different variations on the Apex single shaft style stands.

But when I was subsisting on full time muso pay, I was frequently forced to use the well known Jack Leg™ brand of accessories.

ClavAnother wrote:I figured they came with his Don Johnson jackets so he'd have a place to hang them up.

This figuring would also be wrong. I hung the jackets on mah beer belly. They obscured it quite nicely.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:18 am

But here's what I think would make an EXCELLENT KEYBOARD STAND: get three or four pairs of these brackets, stick them to some sort of backplane and mount it on a roll-around base. It would be extremely sturdy, sit snug against the wall, look ok on stage and could even be made to fold flat for transport. To do it rightly, one should weld something up, but for home use I think blackened 2X4s would be quite efficacious.

Those brackets are very similar to the ones Guitar Center uses for their slatwall displays. I've asked a few Guitar Centroids about finding the source of them, but they never know nuthin bout ut.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:16 am

Or...

:confuse:
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:18 am

I have an apex shafty. I never use it because sustain pedal and expression pedal. I don't like the feet. I keep on not selling it though. Something tells me it will be useful one day. Now I have the A-frame being just as useful.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:23 am

Regarding HD33 brackets: telescopic= always cool, price= :idk: getting up there for multiples, sturdy frame~ :idk:
ClavAnother

Postby midinut » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:40 am

I remember back in the day working for a retail music store and overseeing the keyboard department. I took several A-Frame stands that had been in the store forever and used them as display stands. I put posts with slats on both sides so we could arrange keyboards on both sides of the stand instead of just one. It was great for display purposes. Now I wouldn't mind building one for the studio with my "stay at home" boards on one side and my "gig rig" on the other. I too use an Aphex for playing live. Don't have a problem with my pedals. Standing is getting the best of me though. The older I get, the more the legs start going to sleep before a set is even over.
midinut

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Cool. I did of course wonder about using the other side.

Above all I have had the most success with the WD550 stand. It has so many pros that it's hard for to use any other stand. The only con I think is that it folds up kinda weird
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:32 pm

What you got against Z stands?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Regarding HD33 brackets: telescopic= always cool, price= :idk: getting up there for multiples, sturdy frame~ :idk:

I think the HD33 bracket is another slatwall solution. So, you'll need a sturdy slatwall panel to start. And those HD33 arms aren't cheap (which being a product made for "retail abuse" makes sense). Looks like a solid product though.

I've used Apex tiers live before (with pedals, never had a problem with that personally), but two of them ended up having broken legs. I switched to two X stands live. They never broke. I no longer play live, but the X-Stands remain useful.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Not a fan.. I have no clue why, they just don't appeal to me. I've always used Quiklok double X braced 3 tier stands.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:37 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Not a fan.. I have no clue why, they just don't appeal to me. I've always used Quiklok double X braced 3 tier stands.

This. I have a mix of "Z" and "X" stands (the double braced kind) in the lab (not for live) and I love them.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm

I've got the Quiklok Z stands. I wish they could bet set lower, though. I likes to sits.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:06 pm

selfinflikted wrote:What you got against Z stands?

The WS550 is way more versatile. I easily added a second tier with a couple parts from the hardware store, I easily mounted a boom mic stand as well. Plus it's robust enough to hold a CP70 or a chopped Hammond. Not that I would likely die other, but I'd put a Rhodes or a CS on it. Plus when using a pedalboard, it conveineintly will supply a place to rest the back for elevation.

Does a Z even fold??
Last edited by ClavAnother on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:06 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I've got the Quiklok Z stands. I wish they could bet set lower, though. I likes to sits.

Get a height adjustable chair :P
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:08 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I've got the Quiklok Z stands. I wish they could bet set lower, though. I likes to sits.

Oh yeah, the 550 is height adjustable too
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:09 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Not a fan.. I have no clue why, they just don't appeal to me. I've always used Quiklok double X braced 3 tier stands.

Not a fan of what? 550? Apex? A frame?
ClavAnother

Next

Return to KSS