No one's talked about the REV2?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

No one's talked about the REV2?

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:20 pm

So the REV2 is the new version of the Prophet 08... and now comes in 8 and 16 (!) voice versions for a price that's actually not too bad.

It sounds lovely, I think the filter sounds a bit more refined than the previous version, or it could be just me... but I'm really digging the sound.

Improvements are PWM on every waveform, a step sequence for every voice, and also a poly step sequencer with 6 notes per step and 64 steps, dual effects, some more modulation options (double the mod matrix). And apparently they added a sub-oscillator to OSC1.

But most importantly, they kept one characteristic every poly synth should have... 61 PROPER KEYS!

DSI's answer to the Deep Mind? Not really I guess since the sound is apples and oranges... there's nothing quite like the Prophet sound.

But I guess the response has been largely "meh"? Even at GS, its own thread didn't get much traction...

Edit: fixed link, they renamed it...

Last edited by christianrock on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: No one's talked about the REV2?

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Isn't the 6 supposed to be better??
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:33 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Isn't the 6 supposed to be better??

Citation needed.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Different beasts... according to Dave Smith, the 6 is supposed to be a revisit of the past, while the 08 and now the Rev2 are more like their flagship synth, with a more modern, brighter sound. The filter on the Rev2 does seem to be a tad calmer though, but still has that Curtis sound.

At least some love for 61 PROPER KEYS is expected... no? :jam:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 pm

christianrock wrote:But I guess the response has been largely "meh"? Even at GS, its own thread didn't get much traction...

NAMM 2017 pretty much got a "meh" in general at the GS electronic forum. Except for the one guy who's putting an OB-X clone in a rack.

This, and the fact that the P08 Rev 2 thread erupted into some weird P08 vs. Deepmind flamewar ( :facepalm: ), says more about GS than anything else. :lol:

I'm still not quite digging the filter sound, so personally I'm not going to be trading the P6 and Andromeda up for it anytime soon. But a lot of the spec changes do seem to enhance the synth; at least, the demos do sound nicer. Sub osc will help with the beef, and the 16 voice module will allow for both some nice analog pad sounds with deep decay, as well as some rich 8 voice pads using layered modes.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:14 am

Wouldn't part with my p6 either.

Will listen to rev2 demos later, p8 rev 1 never floated my boat, in fact I recall getting a lot of flak on HC back when everyone seemed to be buying one on specification, when I went and tried one and found the sound just didn't do it for me. Didn't seem to be something people wanted to hear.

Groovy that it has a sound on named after me, still find the 08 just lacking... something.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:01 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:

Citation needed.

Suit&TieGuy wrote:the 6 is better.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:07 pm

The 6 better be better. It costs $2,999 for 6 voices. The 8-voice REV2 costs $1,499.

And the 6's keybed only has 4 octaves :idk:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:11 pm

Do the others not have 61 proper keys?

Praising them for it seems kind of like getting extra credit just for doing your job
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:36 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Do the others not have 61 proper keys?

Praising them for it seems kind of like getting extra credit just for doing your job

The Prophet 6 doesn't... the DeepMind doesn't... most synths nowadays are 49 keys. Which is a pet peeve of mine.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 pm

To be fair, 4 octaves have been a (bad) tradition for synth-y keys the last 20ish years or so. Yay for my Andromeda being 5 octaves, but even in that period, the Nord Lead and JP8000 were four octave keyboards.

Which is kind of bollocks, because for certain applications -- like that BIG 80S KEYBOARD SOUND -- five octaves is kind of a really good thing to have. (Reference: Rush's "Subdivisions" video.) With that BIG 80S KEYBOARD SOUND being popular with the kids a few years back, you'd think that at the very least more people would take the Access approach and make both smaller and larger versions.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Ok. So anyhow it specs out pretty well https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/rev2/

I haven't heard how it sounds yet, but I'll check it out later. I read someplace that the 8 is $1500 and the 16 is $2000.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 am

christianrock wrote:
ClavAnother wrote:Do the others not have 61 proper keys?

The Prophet 6 doesn't... the DeepMind doesn't... most synths nowadays are 49 keys. Which is a pet peeve of mine.

Jeez, it's worse than I thought.

ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Just got around to listening to those demos, rev2 actually sounds quite nice, it's got some pizazz to it, the 8 I just find a bit meh.

49 keys is less than ideal, less of an issue than I expected on the P6, maybe because they've at least given us C-C rather than having it in G.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Purity_Control wrote:Just got around to listening to those demos, rev2 actually sounds quite nice, it's got some pizazz to it, the 8 I just find a bit meh.

49 keys is less than ideal, less of an issue than I expected on the P6, maybe because they've at least given us C-C rather than having it in G.

Yes. Whatever they did with the filter, which is supposed to be the same, it really seemed to work. I'm sure there's a ton of ways you can voice these things.

OR maybe they just wrote better patches with it for the demos? That's also possible.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 pm

At first I'm like, "a good soft synth will sound like this", but then I'm like, this is smoother, clearer. Or is it just placebo?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:25 pm

I do want this. It's butter, mang.

There are currently three boards I want:

1) DSI Rev2
2) Korg Monologue
3) System 8

(not necessarily in that order)

I think I would be willing to let go of any synths I have in favor of these, except my MS2000, KingKROG, and Minilogue. Those are keepers. (also I am realizing just now that I am a HUEG Korg fanboy, apparently)

I watched a ton of demos yesterday on the Rev2. How could ANYONE not want one? Absolutely delicious.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:29 pm

selfinflikted wrote: (also I am realizing just now that I am a HUEG Korg fanboy, apparently)

Nothing wrong with that :jam:

It makes sense, by the way, that you like the KROGS and the Rev2. Krogs have bright filters and a bit more aggressive sound than others, so does the Rev2/Prophet8 - but the latter to me still doesn't sound as butter(™SI).

I watched a ton of demos yesterday on the Rev2. How could ANYONE not want one? Absolutely delicious.

You've been back to the forum only a few days, and we already filled you with GAS. We're still in good form here :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:40 pm

christianrock wrote:You've been back to the forum only a few days, and we already filled you with GAS. We're still in good form here :lol:

While I do not dispute this forum's ability to instill the GAS, don't think that just because I've been away from the forums for a while that I haven't been keeping up. :smoke:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Oh, and I was thinking...the oberheim 8-voice has a 49 key keyboard :idk: that think might me Teh best of all time poly oh yeah
ClavAnother

Next

Return to KSS