Moog...

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Moog...

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 20, 2016 4:20 pm

...can haz own thread, rite?

But $3500?

Man, that'll buy a lot of Brand X™.
Plink Floyd

Re: Moog...

Postby ClavAnother » Fri May 20, 2016 4:22 pm

Yeah that was the thing I was talking aboot when SI bought his minipoly. I guess I'm if any allowed to speak of it
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Hay Clav! I haz insomnia! How's things where u are? Other than being one hour in the past...

:wave:
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri May 20, 2016 5:23 pm

I'd love me some Model D, and I think it's worth SOME kind of premium, but.... $3500? Uhhhh.... hm.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Fri May 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Can the price of original Model D go south plz?
ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Fri May 20, 2016 6:53 pm

meh

hopefully the price will drop on a second hand voyager rme lol
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:57 am

Plink Floyd wrote:But $3500?
Man, that'll buy a lot of Brand X™.

I like what lots of people do with the Minimoog, but I never have gelled with any Moog monosynth for some reason... that includes the Minimoog. So yay for not being tempted by $3500 synth.

(I'd love a modern take on the Memorymoog though, but a Moog reissue of that would probably cost $12000 or something. :tounge: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby soundwave106 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:29 pm

soundwave106 wrote:(I'd love a modern take on the Memorymoog though, but a Moog reissue of that would probably cost $12000 or something. :tounge: )

And I'll add (after seeing Paul of MOTM fame's rant about the new Moog 921 VCO today on his Facebook) it'll probably be a very poorly built imitation of old school manufacturing techniques to boot. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Tue May 24, 2016 12:02 pm

the only one I really seemed to like was the source and that's just going from online demos. Maybe because it has more in common with the hybird synths, maybe? I tend to like those the best. I like the minitaur better than the voyager though.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Tue May 24, 2016 10:03 pm

more importantly do you say mooog or mogue?

:wave:
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed May 25, 2016 5:54 am

It sounds like it's pronounced.

And to me, being of such a person of which has heard them side by side, the Source sounds exactly like the D.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Wed May 25, 2016 1:12 pm

Really? The D seems flatter and more muted to me. The source seems brighter. Do you think the difference may be due to recording differences? The guy in the source vid is saying it's based on the tarus :idk:

MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Wed May 25, 2016 5:19 pm

The d can be anything you want. Dull or bright. Awesome filter.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed May 25, 2016 6:02 pm

well get me one and play something :mad:

most videos I've seen sound like that, hence my lack of interest. :idk: different strokes no doubt. I just associated the videos I've seen of the source with the hybrids because all of them seem to xhibit the same high brassy sound the hybrids do.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:36 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Really? The D seems flatter and more muted to me. The source seems brighter. Do you think the difference may be due to recording differences?

A "feature" of un-modified Moog ladder filters, including as I recall the Minimoog D, is that as you turn up the resonance, the overall volume pretty much remains the same (which in practice means that the energy of the original signal drops). An additional "feature" of the Minimoog D is that the resonance is non-linear, which means that it is less present in the bass than it is at the top end.

On the one hand, this is probably one of the keys to creating the classic Moog "sproingy" plunky bass (eg, at the top, you hear this slightly resonant sound with less bass and energy, that fades into a massive thump at the end, with no volume spikes to worry about) so if you like that, this is a great feature. On the other hand, if you like pure resonant bass sounds (and I do), you'll find the Moog style weak in that department.

According to Retrosynth, the Moog Source apparently had the non-linearity nature of the resonance "corrected" (which in practice irked Minimoog D type owners). In addition, although I can't find information on this, the demos sound like the Source has a "bass boost" / resonance gain compensation has been applied to the signal, as I'm not hearing the typical signal dropoff on the resonant patches. As opinions on "what is phat?" differ, this may be a part.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby midinut » Sat May 28, 2016 3:00 am

The new Model 15 for the iPad looks interesting. And only $30 to boot. May be able to do that one, but not $3500. Also, I know I'm old, but I've really gotten used to being able to save my own patch creations. Same thing is keeping me from the Korg Odyssey (that and the mini keys).
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat May 28, 2016 4:15 am

My personal experience: The bass player in one of my 80s bands had a D, then got a Source. We both thought they sounded the same. But in hindsight I suppose we weren't trying to explore the differences, but trying to replace an old drifty un-programmable synth with one that was easier to use live. Which we did.

Can anyone say if the sound varied from one D to another? It's certainly conceivable that an instrument with several internal calibration adjustments could drift out of spec over time. I never got to play two or more Ds side by side, so I can't really opine. But I'd say it's likely.

Now as to Hammonds: They don't have to be side by side to hear that they exhibit many noticeable differences from organ to organ.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Sat May 28, 2016 5:13 pm

MetroSonus wrote:well get me one and play something :mad:

most videos I've seen sound like that, hence my lack of interest. :idk: different strokes no doubt. I just associated the videos I've seen of the source with the hybrids because all of them seem to xhibit the same high brassy sound the hybrids do.

doesn't sound dull to me :idk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbsbmj04jv3vn ... s.mp3?dl=0
ClavAnother

Postby midinut » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:16 am

Wanted to revisit this topic for a moment as it just dawned on me that you can get the new Korg Odyssey FS (full size keys) AND a Moog Sub 37 (which could get you close to the Model D AND has programmability) AND almost have enough left over for a DeepMind 12 for about the same as what you'd pay for a new Model D. Talk about the best of both worlds? Or having your cake and eating it too? I'm just sayin'...
midinut

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:31 am

I would get all four of them just so I could have the cake, eat it and then have some pie and a sandwich
ClavAnother

Next

Return to KSS