My DAW considerations thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: My DAW considerations thread.

Postby gregwar » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:53 am

@ cr
i'm not sure on the specs of the camera card. as a photog you likely know much more about those than I do. I considered saving projects and sharing them with friends that way but i've been ok so far using sites like wetransfer and occasionally dropbox for smaller files.

for backups and sample libraries i use a massive external. usually i fill one up then start looking for a bigger one to expand. transfer everything over, then it dies. i've felt for a while i really should back up my current one just in case.

i've lost a bunch of internal and external drives over the years. its really shitty and sorry to hear that happened to you. especially when you're mid riff, computers can be so frustrating. i hope you can necrar the drive long enough to copy it over.

if anything i'd recommend a decent size western digital just to store everything for a while. its getting amazingly cheap these days for a 4tb+ drive.
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Sometime soon I've got to get a Huge HDD™ so I can start digitizing forty years of home movies on video tape.

Uhg.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:38 pm

gregwar wrote:if anything i'd recommend a decent size western digital just to store everything for a while. its getting amazingly cheap these days for a 4tb+ drive.

I've had 4 WD hard drives - internal and external over the course of the last 20 years. Never has one last more than 2 years. I keep going back to them after a few years thinking, they are cheap and maybe quality has improved since the last time I've used them. Nope, last time one failed, it was in 2010 and it failed the same week our laptop HD failed, so we lost the pictures from our first two years since our son was born. We recovered a bunch of them, though in less resolution. But it was my last and final try with Western Digital...

Now this Toshiba that failed was my secondary backup, the primary Toshiba (which is also smaller and a bit less capacity) seems to be holding up, thank God.

The Seagate that was my main project HD for the Mac is indeed gone. I don't have any serious project there that I need to recover but I suppose it would be recoverable if I wanted to. Just money out the window.

So last night I did some recording testing on a Lexar Professional 32Gb SD card, no problems, but I was only doing a couple tracks at a time. I won't ever write more than 8 tracks at a time (8-track interface), and if I limit myself to thinking 32 tracks total - I only had 16 in my tape days - I get basically 1Gb per track - that'd be over an hour. So I can think of a 32Gb card as a 32-track 1 hour tape, or good for a full CD project :)

Since I'm thinking about recording with some friends over the Xmas break and do maybe 4-6 songs, that's way way more than enough. Being the Lexar Pro series, I think it should last a bit more than regular SD cards. I think I'll just do SD cards from now on, for my uses, that should be enough - my libraries are already installed on the Mac anyway.
Last edited by christianrock on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Sometime soon I've got to get a Huge HDD™ so I can start digitizing forty years of home movies on video tape.

Uhg.

Always buy two... and verify them frequently. Soon (within a few years) one of them will die.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Previous

Return to KSS