This holds promise, I think:

Plink Floyd

Re: Anything good on TV?

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:05 pm

TV? Is that thing still around?
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:52 pm

I heard they have TV on the computers now...
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:26 pm

We haven't had open air or cable TV in years now...

We did watch a movie yesterday (a rare thing), the 2011 remake of Arthur, with Russell Brand. I thought it was better than the reviews suggested, there were some pretty good lines in there. Helen Mirren was very good. I mean, not a great movie, but good enough to just relax and enjoy.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:17 pm

I watch some of the US shows on illicit download, the main one that I'm well into at the moment is the Westworld reboot.

Also watch Flash, Supergirl, Gotham and ONce Upon a Time lol they're kind of dumb but fun, and I take ages to come round on a morning, so it's a good time to stick that sort of thing on while I sit there groaning with a coffee. :thu:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby gregwar » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:56 pm

netflix has been outstanding lately:

black mirror
luke cage, dare devil & jessica jones
narcos

hbo and amc's television model might change for the best or at least create more interesting tv like mr robot

it sucks for video guys like when they gutted our version of mtv called much music and played 'reality' tv shows. these netflix, amazon, and even apple shows could seriously damage the industry and many could lose their jobs but i'm not sure
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:55 pm

gregwar wrote:netflix has been outstanding lately:

black mirror
luke cage, dare devil & jessica jones
narcos

hbo and amc's television model might change for the best or at least create more interesting tv like mr robot

it sucks for video guys like when they gutted our version of mtv called much music and played 'reality' tv shows. these netflix, amazon, and even apple shows could seriously damage the industry and many could lose their jobs but i'm not sure

Well, Neflix, Amazon and all need people to work on their shows, so I think people will just shift jobs from the traditional channels to these new ones...

So, if I were to watch this newfangled TV thing :lol:, what's the cheapest thing to do? Get a chromecast?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Thumb's up for a Chromecast! :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:29 pm

I'd totally try a Croamcast, but my dsl speed is a scorching 1.3 Mbs.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Ouch. Surfing modern web sites these days usually try to push background video and all sorts of bandwidth-hogging crap. You have my sympathies, Captain Slow!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:15 pm

Thank
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:15 pm

you!
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:41 am

christianrock wrote:So, if I were to watch this newfangled TV thing :lol:, what's the cheapest thing to do? Get a chromecast?

I don't know what's cheapest. I have a Roku 3 and have so far been pleased. Chromecast doesn't support Amazon Prime and with me in that service already for the shipping, it makes sense to take advantage of it. I didn't hear great things about the Fire Stick, so...

What I kind of also like about these streaming services is that there's also a wide range of more offbeat and niche entertainment. This suits my wife in particular, who is big into those cheesy horror hosts that were on back in the good ol' days of UHF, among other things.

Even without the Internet angle, I kind of like the fact that I've converted all of my DVD and Blu-Ray main movie files into MKV files on Plex / Kodi. If for no reason other than it's easier to hit shuffle on a list of files vs a pile of discs if you don't know what you are in the mood for. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:08 am

Are you guys watching the cricket match?
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Just going to say I started black mirror myself. Reminds of the early SciFi anthology shows that came on when the channel debuted. Reminds me of Welcome to Betaville in particular.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:11 pm

I gave The Orville two chances. I really really really wanted to like it.

Dang.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:58 pm

I had heard that it sucked. Did I hear correctly?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:17 am

I can believe it.. looks like it from the previews. obvious humor. I can't stand that.. it was all over the previews. "we come in peace.. except for killing your dad". Stupid.. Reminds me of all the canned humor "WHO DOES THAT?" "THATS THE OPPOSITE OF HELPING".

B-A-R-F.

Anyway, I found out on hulu, it has all classic sci fi! dark shadows, space 1999. etc etc etc. I'm going to see if mission impossible is on there. in good news that is
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey, I've got Hulu, but I haven't bothered to see if those shows are on it. Report back, please, save me a few minutes of searching? Thanks!

In other news: I've had the Rockford Files theme running in my head for days now. I have no idea why.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:54 pm

I don't want to say Orville sux because I want to encourage any efforts to increase scifi offerings in my TV universe. And to be fair it has some good points. But if I were giving Mcfarlane his ER, I'd have to say he failed to achieve several key metrics.

So far, the screenplays have been his, so I'd have to further say "Dude, you're really good at writing groin humor, stick with your strengths. Your pseudo-romantic scenes were kinda cringe-worthy."

Like Metro said, it's been done. But it might improve.

-

Another funny scifi show I like is People of Earth. Been done too, but not nearly as much.
Plink Floyd

Next

Return to The Hang Out.