The gear demo thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The gear demo thread.

Postby christianrock » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:09 pm

That's pretty fat sounding!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:39 pm

Neat! You gonna buy it?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 pm

It's nice.................. maybe ? I want to see how long I can ride out this sampler thing. That used to be my thing you know. 'back in the day i had a dedicated computer for running halion.

I think i'm going to buy a few sample CD sets and see what happens.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:58 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I think i'm going to buy a few sample CD sets and see what happens.

Yes. Do this. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:40 am

I'd be interested in if you can nail the old Emulator sound... I love the sound of those things, wouldn't trust a 30+ year old bit of kit for what they go for now though.

Well, I'm going to make a confession and say that last Sunday I got the first tranche of the P6 demo in the can, also the first time though I've played proper with the strapon head cam and when I looked at what I got... well I thought I looked at the keyboard when playing but apparently not lol there is a whole bunch of Memotron not being touched and shelf going on. :facepalm:

Haven't touched a keyboard all week as I'm having an ugly situation at work, new manager I am confident now is failing her probation and doesn't know it... shit is about to fly all over the place.

Gonna try and not let that disrupt me the coming week. :thu:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:12 pm

positive attitude! :thu: and have fun with that strap on..
MetroSonus

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:58 am

lol well I have done better for practicing this week, I think tomorrow I will see if I can get at least something in the can, maybe with the cam in a fixed position where I know what it's picking up!

My main obstacle at the moment is lack of daylight, usually by the time I get chance to play it's already gone... at least if I don't get this together in a few weeks, I'll start to have some time after work in an evening.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:26 am

lol well I have a bit more in the can.

we have a long weekend next week for Bank Holiday, so if I can get some playing upto scratch I might try and finish up then.

failing that I have a break mid April lol
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Purity_Control wrote:I'd be interested in if you can nail the old Emulator sound... I love the sound of those things, wouldn't trust a 30+ year old bit of kit for what they go for now though.

There's quite a few emulator libraries out there for various sampler formats and now modeling VST samplers are kind of in. There's quite a few emulator emulators :confuse: out there now and I haven't tried any of them yet.

That's my thing too now.. I really prefer romplers and considering my main interest is in them and S+S, it's no longer worth the used market hassles, reliability issues etc. Honestly, I can throw samples together, add my own filters, effects ect and be in the same territory pretty easily.

I just realized that sampler for Live is only 99$ and it reads every format out there. I'm going to have to pick that up at some point. I can't see 499$ for halion or mach 5 just to get some GM MIDI upgrades and when Live does all the sampling I need, more or less.

Well take comfort that spring has sprung and you'll be having tea on the lawn before you know it :wave:
MetroSonus

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:17 pm

lol you have not seen the shit tip state of my garden... I forgot to dig out the compost bin last year (or was it the one before) and have been chucking used wood based cat litter on the garden for like ages... at least the other day I bothered to rake it in a bit rather than leaving it in piles. :freak:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:02 pm

I've now split this in two as it was going to upload in one go, so here's part 1

Apols if it goes on a bit and has some dodgy camerawork, I'm about 2/3 of the way through part 2 and that is a bit better all round now I'm getting a feel for what I'm doing.

Yes, it has been quite cold here.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:14 am

Niiiiice. Sounds like a top shelf synth should. :thu:

But who's Mr. Jenson, & wut's he doing dycking around in your air vents?
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:01 pm

lol reference to Deus Ex Human Revolution... the arp is not anything but I thought it sounded like something from a cyberpunk adventure.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:55 pm

That rocks, PC :thu: That's what a proper analog synth is supposed to sound like. Smooth, full, pleasing,

Did you grow up with organ music?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:50 pm

christianrock wrote:Smooth, full, pleasing [...] organ

I couldn't help myself. I had to!

I'll see myself out. :cry:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:40 pm

LOL1!!!

Last edited by christianrock on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:26 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:I'll see myself out. :cry:

We all know that *everyone* loves to play with those huge organs.

*cough*

BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:29 am

christianrock wrote:That rocks, PC :thu: That's what a proper analog synth is supposed to sound like. Smooth, full, pleasing,

Did you grow up with organ music?

That's why I picked it, I listened to a lot of stuff ahead of that including the P12 and 08. P6 just had that 'ooooh' factor for me. It's really got the brittleness of the sound too that I remember from the P600, whichout a lot of the drawbacks.

Looks like I got beaten to the puns about organs.

Probably didn't grow up with organ music any more than anything else - I will say that I went with shorter release times on some of the sounds because I'm making patch changes on the fly, and changing patch while voices are still releasing changes the patch of those voices too, which gives a weird and not always good result.

Also shorter release times tend to suit the stuff I play.

There is something weird about how the P6 treats the sustain pedal in relation to the patches, you can end up with all voices sustained and all envelopes at zero ie no new notes as out of polyphony but also no sound from the existing notes... need to see if there's something in the triggering mode, or something, that stops that happening.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby gregwar » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:18 am

this is awesum pc !!

it sounds very rich harmonically but full and clean without relying on like soft clipping for the character. like "sophisticated" or whatevs for lack of a better word

i was watching uchoob vids from süper booth and found a totally ot rant from dave about curtis chips vs discreet:

i guess both the ob-6 and prophet 6 have discreet filters because it was easier to build that way than using chips, and uses pre-chip technology for that

also, ob and prophets were in competition back in 1979 ?!?

gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:38 pm

gregwar wrote:i guess both the ob-6 and prophet 6 have discreet filters because it was easier to build that way than using chips, and uses pre-chip technology for that

Yeah, definitely. The modern era of SMT allows you to shove a bunch of very inexpensive, very small discrete parts into a small area, automatically, not much "fuss". Well, I'm sure there's design fuss (just due to different characteristics of SMT, operating voltage and all of that), but at the manufacturing level it's probably not a big deal.

SMT existed in the mid 2000s too, it would be interesting to know why SMT analog is now a thing. Maybe it wasn't quite as small or refined yet. Maybe the China contract manufacturing pipeline wasn't so everpresent and cheap. Or, maybe, "the marketplace" still was dominated by digital ROMplers, analog was still "niche", and pirated VST plugin market hadn't changed the business climate yet. :lol: At any rate, in the mid 2000s when the Prophet 08 was released chips might've still been the best choice.

However, if there's a source available of drop in plug-n-play chips, the designers will still definitely use it. The DSI analogs for instance use CoolAudio's 2164 VCAs, and I believe that same chip shows up on the Roland JD-Xa's analog section.

See: http://polysynth.tumblr.com/post/134667 ... voice-card
BC | SC
soundwave106

PreviousNext

Return to KSS