I'm kinda hungry.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: I'm kinda hungry.

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:32 pm

gregwar wrote:my folks swear by coconut oil for cooking and other health benefits.

Coconut oil is a funny thing. In the 1980s and 1990s this was involved in a "this is extremely bad for you" scare stories over movie popcorn and other processed junk food. :snax:

Now, for some reason, there is a lot of articles promoting coconut oil as a cure-all for everything... just a ton of click bait on "10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD USE COCONUT OIL NOW!" including, funnily enough for a calorie-dense fatty oil, weight loss. Coconut oil is a vegan friendly spreadable fat (eg a butter substitute), and I think that led it to being popular with certain parts of the Whole Foods crowd. I don't know if one has to do with the other... it might...

It's just fat. Coconut oil has high saturated fat content, so it's probably best to not use it in excess. But I can say that about everything, really. It does have a nice flavor, which is a better reason to use it than any clickbaity pseudoscience.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:15 am

Oh yeah, the fondue place...

The bad: teh price, which was almost $200 for four people (no alcho drinks), and THREE HOURS!

The good: food was mostly yummy, and three hours of slow munching with good friends.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:27 am

See? Told ya it would be a drawn-out event. :grin: I forgot about the price, though. Yeah.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:28 am

Overall it was fun. After we finished, we said "Ya know, just a little longer would have been too long".

I thought exactly the same thing after SWTFAwakens.
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:30 am

after four hours of fondue suddenly . . .

Image :wave:
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:10 pm

I lol'd, greglol :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Yes I'm kinda hungry. Maybe some honey mustard chicken with crispy bacon would hit that spot?

I'd do with some bbq chicken stuffed bread

ooooooooor maybe some baked spicy chicken tacos

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:28 pm

I will confess to never having tried fondue.

Fondue in the mountains!

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Purity_Control wrote:I will confess to never having tried fondue.

Fondue in the mountains!

It's very good... if you get good things to put it on :) I once bought a fillet mignon for my wife and I to eat with fundue, and I made some bread. Of course we couldn't keep the kids from trying out some, once they found out what we were up to...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:15 am

Purity_Control wrote:I will confess to never having tried fondue.

Fondue in the mountains!

man. The guy with the hood really hates that song
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:24 pm

So, yesterday I bought me a Weber grill from Craigslist for 20 bucks. With a waterproof cover. I'm pretty happy about that :thu: It's probably a couple years old but I'd guess it still has at least some good 5 years of use in it. And it should last the ride. I previously had a Stok grill which basically fell apart in rust - despite a weatherproof cover - within 2 years of purchase. It was a brilliant design and looked really nice when new, but crappy, crappy materials.

So I've been using just my 12 year old Brinkmann smoker/grill that is still going strong, despite NOT having ever had a cover on it! but needed something a bit bigger because this weekend I'll cook about 80 burgers and 40 hot dogs on it. Then after that and until November, lots of steaks. Chicken and sausage will probably still be done on the Brinkmann.

Image Image

What's your grill like?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:16 pm

So I got myself a cast iron pan a couple months ago, and I can testify that there is no other way to make pancakes and also chicken has never been as tasty and tender :thu:

The only thing I went back to my (good quality btw) stainless steel pan is for frying eggs. Eggs on the cast iron pan are good, but I perfected the stainless still frying pan over the last couple decades...

And the Weber grill has been used quite a bit as well. Brilliant design. Good for everything from burgers to roasting chicken. It's bigg enough to do different temperature zones. I'm definitely enjoying it a lot. Haven't used my Brinkmann since, but I keep it around in case I do a large dinner one day and need the extra grill space...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:33 pm

You've just reminded me I've got a steamer in the cupboard, nice to use in winter, it's got two levels so I can stick like chinese buns in the bottom and maybe brocolli in the top... so easy to stick it on when I get in and then leave for half an hour while I dash around before going pttttooo.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:20 pm

christianrock wrote:So I got myself a cast iron pan

Man I just got a 6", 8", and 10" two weeks ago. All I want to do everyday is fry some sh*t up.

I making potatoes, eggs, sausages, steak, burgers, ande ki bhurji, corn beef hash... Man all o want to do is cook with these f*ckers

I perfected eggs in my other pans too :samsh: , but everything tastes better in the iron.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:19 pm

ClavAnother wrote:
christianrock wrote:So I got myself a cast iron pan

Man I just got a 6", 8", and 10" two weeks ago. All I want to do everyday is fry some sh*t up.

I making potatoes, eggs, sausages, steak, burgers, ande ki bhurji, corn beef hash... Man all o want to do is cook with these f*ckers

I perfected eggs in my other pans too :samsh: , but everything tastes better in the iron.

Ha! So it's not just me with the eggs.

I've also made most of what you've made. And I am not the main cook in the house :) That thing is addictive. I have a 12", for now it's all I need. But there was a set on sale locally for 20 dollars on CL - like 4 pans for 20 dollars. I might have to look if it's still available, though my wife will probably be unhappy. She likes the food but doesn't like the idea of maintaining the cast iron, easy as it is. Whenever she cleans it I have to basically reseason it... at least if I just seasoning the interior it's the easiest thing to do, I do it right on the stove over medium high heat until it stops smoking... I find the generic soy oil perfect (and it's what Lodge uses as well).

Which ones did you get? I just got a basic Lodge when it was on sale for 17 dollars. People seem to think vintage stuff is better but as long as mine is seasoned right, it works perfectly.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Damn, you guys are making me want to go get some iron skillets. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 pm

EP there is no comparison. Buy them.

Cr I got the lodge ones. I seasoned them six times in a row (took two days) in flax oil. I can make eggs and they come right out to clean it. I have no negative results to report except that I think it's weird that I think about making food all day. I don't want to eat anything that I can't prepare in these pans. I think I'm going to try pan pizza soon
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:45 pm

So how are you guys cleaning these things without killing the seasoning?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:55 pm

They're naturally non stick because of the seasoning. They are the easiest dishes to clean that I've emver had. And I wash all my dishes by hand. ( I used to have a dishwasher, but she moved out ages ago...)
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:55 pm

They were the best home improvement I did all year
ClavAnother

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.