Re: I'm kinda hungry.

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:32 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:Vacation, man

Yes!

(me 2)
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:13 pm

So, I've been informed I'm dining @ a fondue place tonight. & this isn't even Florida, man.

Actually it sounds pretty good. But I thought it dissapeared in the 70s?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:56 pm

There's a fondue place around here, too, I think it's some kind of "thing" again. :lol: It's pretty good, but be prepared to spend more than the usual amount of time than you would at a conventional eatery. Last time we did it, between the waiting for fondue pieces to fondue and all the chatting, it was about 3 hours.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:So, I've been informed I'm dining @ a fondue place tonight. & this isn't even Florida, man.

I think it did (the Internet tells me there was a thing called "fondue parties" back then for instance, which I've never heard of anyone throwing these days).

But there's this fondue chain called Melting Pot. (Internet says it started in Florida in 1975. Huh. Cause I kind of think of fondue as a cold weather food...). It still seems to be hanging around in a lot of locations in the US.

Plink's probably going there because I've never really seen fondue in any other restaurant. (If not, maybe fondue really *is* becoming a thing again...)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:27 pm

It is The Melting Pot. But it seems our dining friends have developed the sniffles, so we're going next Sat instead.

And there were indeed fondue parties back in the day. My p & m used to host them for their friends. Afterwards they'd play canasta and gin rummy.

Kitty nails it:

Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:15 am

i've had fondue with teh missus and hosted small fondue parties but the closest thing recently has been deep frier parties. everyone brings the random stuff (mars bars, ice cream, tempura everything, ravioli, pork belly, etc)

they're usually lots of fun, especially the 3 deep frier mrs doubtfire edition for my friends bday where everyone dressed up like mrs doubtfire lol (and it was outside because grease-air nastiness).

usually when we get piled up around deep frier(s) we eventually have to unplug them and cordon off a section so nobody takes a spill

my fav this past fall was a fish fry over a camp fire:

:thu:

ps. this summer i got into hosting charcuterie parties where we served crudités, nice cheeses, cured meats and raided antipasto & tapas recipes. we always do north american style appetizers for football, etc but its fun going for a euro theme sometimes
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Dat Fish...

:eek: :love:
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:56 pm

ooooooo... :eek: OMNOMNOMNOMNOM
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:43 am

Today we went to a big rowdy burger pub called Bubba's where they GRIND A GOB OF BACON RIGHT INTO THE BIG GIANT GREASY BUTTERY BURGER PATTY OH MY ARTERIES OH HHNNGGGGG!
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:51 am

We had a place like that here called "Slater's 50-50"; Their thing was honkin' burgers that were 50% beef, 50% bacon.

I just noticed the other day that it was closed down, permanent-style. :idk: Not sure what happened, seems like "with bacon" is a solid business plans these days.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:17 am

You get everything way before us. Assuming that we even get it. We did have the first Big Boring Car Race, though. And injuns. Cali never had injuns, rite?

Our bacon place's whole name is "Bubba's 33". The menu said "We aren't sure why this is, and Bubba ain't saying. Maybe because the patties are 33% bacon, or because our beer is served @ 33º (Bubba says that's dang near freezin!), or wut. Mabye it's because Prohibition ended in 1933, but probably not, as Bubba's not known as much of a history buff."

Notable notation: Bubba's has moar huge TVs than tables. They were tuned to music videos while we were there which was fun. Luckily we were finished when the football foolery began.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Burgers with bacon in them? Why haven't I thought of that before? :lol:

Also, I loved the idea of frying stuff in a campfire. Must try it sometiem :thu:

Not quite as exciting, but I'm quite happy with the breakfast I had this morning - fresh baked bread (I set the bread machine the night before to have it just baked when I wake up) - with molasses on it. I love me some molasses, that's like REAL old school breakfast innit?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:57 pm

bread machine! Oh man, I can practically smell the fresh, hot bread just thinking about it. Mmmmmmmm.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:48 pm

You should get one if you don't have one.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:19 pm

my peers have been making instagram hard to look at with their delicious waffle photos. its becoming a thing

i always figured a waffle iron would be used like 1-2 times and collect dust but i might take the plunge this week.

also:

marvel has some ridiculous avengers ones too
gregwar

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:45 am

soundwave106 wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote:So, I've been informed I'm dining @ a fondue place tonight. & this isn't even Florida, man.

I think it did (the Internet tells me there was a thing called "fondue parties" back then for instance, which I've never heard of anyone throwing these days).

But there's this fondue chain called Melting Pot. (Internet says it started in Florida in 1975. Huh. Cause I kind of think of fondue as a cold weather food...). It still seems to be hanging around in a lot of locations in the US.

Plink's probably going there because I've never really seen fondue in any other restaurant. (If not, maybe fondue really *is* becoming a thing again...)

Being a kid in the 70's, my parents used to do fondues quite often. Savory ones, as well as the classic melted chocolate fondue where you dip in strawberries, etc. Yummo
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:49 pm

My wife still loves fundues. We haven't done one in a while. Our local grocery store used to have a really good cheese package thing for you to melt and it wasn't expensive. We've done it a few times, even my kids love it (yeah we just end up doing a family thing...)

I haven't seen it at the stores any more... I think the whole fundue thing must be gone around here.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:03 am

i've been joking that December is over so its time for me to start exercising and eating well again lol

so i like to make smoothies my general recipe is as follows:
1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, tropical mix, mango, etc)
1 1/2 - 2 cups orange juice
2-3 tbsp plain greek yogurt (i try to find the probiotic kind)
1 small shot maple syrup (canada lol)
3/4 cup raw oats (or a handful of fresh spinach)
optional: 1 raw egg for protein

i found this liberte greek yogurt with coconut on sale its really awesum
could eat the whole thing out of the container

my folks swear by coconut oil for cooking and other health benefits. i don't really use it but lately if i grease a baking sheet for croissants or something i'll substitute it for butter and it smells and tastes great
gregwar

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.