Epic Motion Picture Cinematic Thead

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Epic Motion Picture Cinematic Thead

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:02 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Is it just me, or has there been a complete lack of Interesting Movies lately? There's nothing I feel like shelling out money to see right now.

I wish I knew movies like I do music.

I know that top 40 type music is complete garbage at the moment. Almost all the interesting stuff is outside the top 40 hits domain.

I have a suspicious feeling movies are the same way, but I only really know the "hits". Which, as you say, mostly do seem to sucketh. :cry:

(Actually I kind of feel television is the same way. Who are the masses of people that watch, nay, demand all of this reality television crap that 95% of cable channels have devolved into? :mad: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:24 pm

yea it felt like when my son was young, there was an animated movie a week coming out.. Not all were good, but it was fun. These days, I'll get a movie from netflix and it'll sit there... for months on end unwatched.

I don't know if i don't feel like spending two hours on something I'm pretty sure is going to be "meh", I'm getting too old for fantasy, the bar has just been lowered in movies, I dunno. I feel like for the most part, you see one movie, you get the gist of similar movies for the next ten years.

I'm not even hopeful for star wars. Despite the original cast, there has been nothing said about the movie so far. They've been doing a lot of "this is so great, such a great experience, such a great movie to work on" vague trailers and leaks. Most movies that do that suck. ;/

I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm old, i hate bullshit and I'd rather be writing music, books, shooting kids with bb guns or something other than sitting down, not using my brain :idk:

:lol:

(Actually I kind of feel television is the same way. Who are the masses of people that watch, nay, demand all of this reality television crap that 95% of cable channels have devolved into? :mad: )

The same types that used to sit there watching jerry sprigner or povich or something I guess. Very little goes on in those shows, just the same things over and over. I got into watching fast and loud and I now hate it. The one guy just goes "whoooo!" and that's it. Like most reality hows like that, it's pretty phony.

There is one I like though and it's about these guys that build custom cabins for people. Just for people to have a bbq pit with or something. They do some neat, creative stuff and the show is about families and people wanting their dad to have something or other.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:32 pm

soundwave106 wrote:I know that top 40 type music is complete garbage at the moment.

Yes.

I downloaded the new Duran Duran album this morning to listen to on the way to work. I was, to put it mildly, completely disgusted. It sounds like a group of 50-something's trying to make relevant pop music (read: garbage) when they should be sticking to what they do best - great melodies and awesome keyboard lines. Nick Rhodes has turned up a steaming pile of shit with his synth work on this album, and he used to be one of my favorite keyboard players.

I deleted the album from my phone promptly.

Much anger.

So disappoint.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:06 pm

how do you feel about the new metropolis stuff from older artists? As of a few years ago, you could go through each band and play samples. I found it to be all derivative 4 on the floor stuff. very boring.
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:53 pm

I just use rotten tomatoes to find stuff to watch. I like challenging stuff like ex machina, under the skin, citizen 4, etc

if the critic and viewer scores are both high and it's something I'm into then I'll czech it out

there's a site for netflix canada that I use too since their interface & recommendation engine usually don't work for me

I ignored tv for like 10 years and now the bar seems to be set way higher. certain shows blow me away like mr robot, house of cards, house of lies, got, fear the walking dead, black mirror, true detective, Silicon Valley, etc.

this is light years ahead of programming like 10 years ago to where the emmys are a thing that I watch and yell at the tv lol
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:12 pm

I will admit that's the one good thing to TV, I suppose. I'm just not a fan of high pressure, cable dramas. I"m not really into the language and adult situations. :lol: Although black mirror looks interesting.

What my issue is 1. I'm kinda in exile where I work. 99% of the time, I'm fine with it. It means I dont have to hear daily gabbing about politics, the meme of the day, etc. But I miss out on what's new. and 2. if you don't know the name specifically, especially on netflix, it's harder than hell to find anything. :idk:
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:22 pm

"everything's amazing and nobody's happy" lol

ot
I'm surprised there was no word on home kit + Apple TV. I suppose it's just not ready for prime time as simplifying the smart home is a monumental task

this article discusses TVos apps & Apple TV as the natural choice for the smart hub and why it may not be ready yet:
http://bit.ly/1Qqu94u

I agree that just getting the 'TV' part polished would have been difficult enough. in the future an Apple TV streaming service and TV App Store is likely a better focus.

it's early in the 'internet of things' game and most products so far walk a fine line between banality and novelty

here's a medium-dismal review of home kit in June:
http://on.wsj.com/1TMeyiw

*edit: ok here's what seems to be the real reason: http://bit.ly/1OHgd4U

this summer I remember reading articles on wired about hacking all the things including skateboards :facepalm:

then there were hints home kit was a moving target, etc. it seems like the level of encryption (EEC) required as of this winter is extremely high. some manufacturers installed chips to accelerate this so their devices aren't hanging over bluetooth
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Apple is lagging behind, Greg. A couple months ago, a guy came a-knocking at the door selling security/smart home systems. The special they were offering included free installation of their wireless security system, plus two optional smart home devices. $59.99/mo locked in at that rate for 5 years. Too good to pass up. So we got the security system, doorbell camera, and smart home thermostat. The thermostat is pretty standard - it's completely automated, plus you can check the temp in the house and adjust the thermostat from anywhere in the world using your smartphone, tablet, or PC. The doorbell camera is the bee's knees, though. It's motion activated, and starts recording as soon as it's activated. Plus, when someone rings your doorbell, it starts recording (a bit redundant, since no one can get to the doorbell without activating the motion sensor anyway) AND rings your phone so you know someone's at the door. PLUS you can look at a live feed from your camera from anywhere in the world on your smartphone, tablet, or PC. PLUS PLUS you can have two-way conversations with whoever is at your door using the smartphone app, tablet, or PC. It stores the videos in the cloud temporarily for two weeks, then they are automatically deleted but you can download them to your smartphone or tablet or PC to save them if you want. The camera also has night vision.

You can get any number of cameras to go anywhere in the house or exterior of the house, plus all manner of other cool gadgets for an additional $5/mo per gadget. They have a garage door opener that you can access from phone/tablet/pc anywhere (which would be great if UPS came by, you could tell them through the doorbell to put the package in the garage, as you expertly open the garage door remotely, then close again). We're thinking about getting that. Plus, there are all kinds of other smart home thingies you can get.

The security system comes standard with the typical door and window alarms, plus a glass break monitor (that listens for shattering glass). You can arm, disarm, check any number of statuses, etc from any smartphone, tablet, PC. It also gives an extremely details notifications list like which door in the house was opened, and when, and for how long. It's super informative. The whole system is wireless, to boot, so the install required only drilling ONE hole in the wall for power to the Sky-Control. Plus you get this cool "hub" (Sky-Control) that controls everything that looks like a beefy ipad that sits on your wall (which also displays video from any cameras you may have installed).

It's super cool. Apple is behind on this, otherwise we'd have their service. But this company beat them to it - Vivint. They're legit. We've had the service for a couple of months, and would never go back.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:20 am

MetroSonus wrote:how do you feel about the new metropolis stuff from older artists? As of a few years ago, you could go through each band and play samples. I found it to be all derivative 4 on the floor stuff. very boring.

It's... okay at best, I guess. A lot of the "EBM" and goth scene hasn't progressed much since, say, the 2000s or so. It feels stuck.

The "new" in electronic dance music pretty much is the ITB-slick dubstep, EDM trap, slick "electro house", and derivatives. The "mainstream" of this genre is very "bro" and I don't dig that vibe very much (what happened to PLUR in raves?) but some of the detours are interesting. I kinda like the chillstep derivative for instance (though I've *always* liked more chill detours, from trip hop to liquid DnB... YMMV).

Of course, the big thing in alternative / indie music is still pretty much synthpop, with more than a nod to the 1980s and a sprinkling of other eras. Some of that stuff is pretty cool IMHO. It's also interesting how the indie hipster synthpop is influencing other genres (like R&B). I'm sure guitar bands will eventually come back in something that's not metal, but right now the synth is in.

gregwar: I think you are right on that, but a large portion of that content is on "premium" channels like HBO and Showtime or on streaming sites like Netflix, which I don't have. :( It is pretty much where the quality US entertainment is today. I do credit AMC for raising the bar as well, after a typical cable TV decline they've pretty much scrapped almost all reality TV and are producing interesting television again. They are well prepared for the "cord cutting" days, which in a few years I think will be even bigger than now. Streaming alternatives (Apple TV, Sling TV, Roku) are in the early stages right now, and I'm probably not the only one who wants to secretly raise a middle finger at the "devolved" reality show channels. (The ones that used to be devoted to interesting science and nature documentaries that now show garbage, that just makes me sad. :cry: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:06 pm

They're legit. We've had the service for a couple of months, and would never go back.

Did you do your research? They've changed names several times and have a lot of complaints. I suppose most of it is for shady marketing. If their stuff works and they were up front about what you were getting, no issues I guess. We had a guy come buy and tell us it was all free and he'd make us a model home for only having to put a sign in our yard and we could keep our current alarm provider. It ended up being a 3 hour, high pressure condo pitch and we threw him out. The guy couldn't answer basic installation questions and ignored our requests for him to leave. He started running that "how much would you pay" thing and he ended up with like more than what we were currently paying. Keep our current provider! right....................... How can you do that when you replace the hardware? Anyway, that's apparently common with them.. high pressure sales, bait and switch,lying etc.

Anyway, back to tv. I'm old man... :lol: I'm trying to watch the 100 on a suggestion. Since 2-3 years ago? I have to keep pausing movies, tv etc. because of the sudden jumps, shaky cam, micro edits, over loud sound tracks, rock music for no reason (sentimental I guess?)

I always though it'd make an interesting commentary if someone put in a sci fi film like if someone was watching tv and all it was, was random videos of exploding cars, cats, flowers, someone cooking etc. just real dadaist or abstract tv. no meaning, no content. I think that's where were headed :cry: Or I'm just getting old :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:17 am

Plink Floyd wrote:But the original riddle remains: How can a ten year old player that never gets a firmware update still play em?

soundwave106 wrote:Scholarly answer...

Thanks! A bit late, but

Thanks!
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:57 am

In fact I think i'm so old I typed out the above paragraph before somewhere else.... and I'm so cold i'm wearing a cardigan at work. I am minstrel grampus.
MetroSonus

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:31 pm

I have no home security. I leave my mower and various other things just next to the house. Kids frequently leave their basketballs, scooters etc on the front yard. I've often gone out and accidentally left either the front or back door open. A couple of times the front door actually open, not just unlocked. Never had a single thing stolen.

I'll update you again tomorrow.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:23 pm

MetroSonus wrote:
They're legit. We've had the service for a couple of months, and would never go back.

Did you do your research? They've changed names several times and have a lot of complaints. I suppose most of it is for shady marketing. If their stuff works and they were up front about what you were getting, no issues I guess. We had a guy come buy and tell us it was all free and he'd make us a model home for only having to put a sign in our yard and we could keep our current alarm provider. It ended up being a 3 hour, high pressure condo pitch and we threw him out. The guy couldn't answer basic installation questions and ignored our requests for him to leave. He started running that "how much would you pay" thing and he ended up with like more than what we were currently paying. Keep our current provider! right....................... How can you do that when you replace the hardware? Anyway, that's apparently common with them.. high pressure sales, bait and switch,lying etc.

Yes. I did the research, saw the lawsuits, and decided to go with them. It was over some frivolous wording in their guarantee. You know how lawsuit happy people are these days. It was basically a non-issue.

So far, everything they quoted us is true. No install fee (actually, there was - $99.99, but he gave us a hundred bucks cash in-hand thus making installation free), and I've paid two months of service at the quoted $59.99. That's locked in for 5 years, according to the contract. All the accoutrements work as stated as well. We could not be happier with the service, honestly. :like:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:25 pm

BonsoWonderDog wrote:I have no home security. I leave my mower and various other things just next to the house. Kids frequently leave their basketballs, scooters etc on the front yard. I've often gone out and accidentally left either the front or back door open. A couple of times the front door actually open, not just unlocked. Never had a single thing stolen.

This is lucky. By no means do we live in a "bad part of town" or anything, so the security feature of the service was really just an aside. It does grant a certain peace of mind having it now, though. We just like high-tech gadgets and the cameras, thermostat, and doorbell thing are just super coo. Security is nice, but it was totally incidental. PLUS. The salesman was super hot. I would've probably bought anything he was selling.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:43 pm

We live in a fairly secure neighborhood. Bonso's description fits how I was about things before getting married. Now we do have a security system, my wife feels a lot more secure because of it. But the main thing for her is that she turns the alarm on when she is busy doing something so that if any of the kids gets OUT, the alarm will sound. :idk: I'm sure that'll change once they get older and just run in and out like most kids do...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:43 pm

We live in a fairly secure neighborhood. Bonso's description fits how I was about things before getting married. Now we do have a security system, my wife feels a lot more secure because of it. But the main thing for her is that she turns the alarm on when she is busy doing something so that if any of the kids gets OUT, the alarm will sound. :idk: I'm sure that'll change once they get older and just run in and out like most kids do...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Yea, I like knowing when a door opens even when I'm IN the house. That is trufax.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Yeah, that is another good point. We always turn the alarm on at night. But never when we just go out for a few hours :idk:

I guess we're just more concerned about us than about our stuff :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:26 pm

Our alarm is a large dog. And she has absolutey no qualms about barking at anything and everything, including nothing at all, so if anyone isn't aware by now that we have a LARGE DOG BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK then they're deaf or stupid.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.