Epic Motion Picture Cinematic Thead

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Epic Motion Picture Cinematic Thead

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Re: Batman vs. Supes. Uhhhh.... I dunno. I haven't seven bothered to watch The Man of Steel, and the last Nolan-helmed Batman kinda made me go, "ehhhh."

Semi-related, we're gonna go see Ant Man this Friday.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:56 pm

I couldn't be bothered with Man of Steel either.

I liked Nolan's first batman film, Scarecrow and Ra's have never really had a decent movie outing before so that was good.

Didn't like his take on the joker and the plot was stupid.

Did like the reinvention of Bane, plot also was stupid though and the crap plot with the bomb didn't do the character justice.

Not fussed about Batman vs Superman. I don't care much for Frank Miller as an adult, but it's still 30 years too late as a thing.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:13 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Semi-related, we're gonna go see Ant Man this Friday.

I heard that one called the first serious flop in the recent super-hero movies wave.

So, do tell us about it after you see it!

Also: When someone says Nolan, I hear Dolan.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:23 pm

gooby plz
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:46 pm

Man of Steel was awesome because Henry Cavill. ZOMG YES PL0X. The movie, as a movie, was MEH.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:31 pm

So EP, how was Ant Man. I hear it turned out to be a pretty good movie.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:53 pm

christianrock wrote:So EP, how was Ant Man. I hear it turned out to be a pretty good movie.

It was good! Teh Wife and I enjoyed it very much. It has a tie-in to the last Avenger's movie, and Michael Douglas does a good job of seeming like a Been There, Done That, I Haz Wisdom kind of mentor dude. Rudd is good as Ant Man, but honestly, I think they could have used nearly anyone, I don't know that he brought anything really unique to the role.

It's worth a ticket price, fo' sho'.

Also, I think Michael Pena almost steals the movie. There's this gag they do twice where he's telling a story about how he knows a guy who knows a guy, and they way they do it is hilarious.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:40 am

Good review is good :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:56 pm

i'm just gna leave this here and back away slowly lol: http://bit.ly/1FlCqAC

its an interview with mark wherry, the guy who created hans zimmer's technology playground

- they build lots of custom win software including the 22" 3m touch screen and sampler
- the sampler runs on a server farm with up to 64g ram and 24 cores per blade
- its networked together to 'sequencer' computers
- the custom sample library has up to 33 mic positions, bounced to 7-8 channels then to quad
- they maxed out the outputs of an rme system, then maxed out a madi system (wtaf)
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:21 pm

Where music and geekery unite
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:03 pm

gregwar wrote:i'm just gna leave this here and back away slowly lol: http://bit.ly/1FlCqAC

its an interview with mark wherry, the guy who created hans zimmer's technology playground

- they build lots of custom win software including the 22" 3m touch screen and sampler
- the sampler runs on a server farm with up to 64g ram and 24 cores per blade
- its networked together to 'sequencer' computers
- the custom sample library has up to 33 mic positions, bounced to 7-8 channels then to quad
- they maxed out the outputs of an rme system, then maxed out a madi system (wtaf)

Daaaaaaaamn. :freak:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:17 am

Riddle me this, Batmen:

Say I know a 'guy', and this 'guy' occasionally wants to 'back up' a DVD. How come the studios can continually come up with newer moar powerful protection schemes that baffle the latest ripware, but a crappy fifteen year old set top player can still decode them just fine?
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Say I know a 'guy', and this 'guy' occasionally wants to 'back up' a DVD. How come the studios can continually come up with newer moar powerful protection schemes that baffle the latest ripware, but a crappy fifteen year old set top player can still decode them just fine?

There's a protection scheme that baffles the "latest ripware?" :idk:

A "guy I know" has never come across too many DVDs that can't be ripped with DVD Shrink, for instance. (Whose last release occurred, oh, 11 years ago.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:21 am

Oh, 'my friend' says that a big percentage of the new releases he tries to 'archive' can't be decoded with Shrink. He says he has the latest version, too. He thinks it's a shame that they quit supporting it, since it worked so very well.

But the original riddle remains: How can a ten year old player that never gets a firmware update still play em?
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:But the original riddle remains: How can a ten year old player that never gets a firmware update still play em?

Because it's the type of protection scheme where they introduce "bad" sectors in certain places that a DVD player won't normally read (but copying software will), or will massively inflate the software DVD size and chapter count, which hardware DVD video players don't care about, but software rippers will. Disney has this protection ("project x drm") and I think it's licensed to others, Sony also has their own scheme.

The truth is, a few DVD players in fact will not read these protected discs. But the companies try to chose things that will make as few video DVD players barf and as many rippers barf as possible. As the Sony rootkit scandal back in the day showed, however, many companies seem to care more about TEH PIRATES! vs ultimate customer friendly service, so they probably don't care that a few players will barf for these discs... :lol:

The possible "solution" is a newer program. AnyDVD looks like it might handle some of these for instance. Same as DVDFab (although I'd have to read some forums as they've had legal issues in the US). These are programs you have to pay for, though.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Disney has this protection

I haven't ripped a dvd in years.. I had a pretty good multimedia Pc setup until they started building amazon prime, netflix ect into everything. Now I just use the kindle fire stick.

Anyway, did rip all of the kids movies to the computer since it was super easy for my son to pick out stuff and watch them with out damaging the discs. I copied WallE with dvd fab and the m'fer was 8 gigs!!!!!!!!!

No, I did not "shrink". :smoke: I don't "shrink" my "films". I have a terabyte drive :lol: and I just rip the main move.. but I was still appalled at the 8 gigs.. :eek:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:06 pm

My wife gets a pile of DVDs from our local library every week or so for the kids, and if we want to watch a movie, which doesn't happen very often, I'll just pay the dollar fiddy at the Redbox around the corner. Even if I thought pirating was ok (which I don't) I still wouldn't do it and spend the time and the bandwidth and the hard drive space just to save a dollar fiddy. No sir.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:37 pm

i'm kind of excited for the new apple tv

i like the idea of searching with siri for shows on netflix, etc. even just having my iTunes, apple music, and movies sync'd to the living room would be worth the $150 for me

we currently have a dynex brand blu ray player that has a few basic apps like youtube and netflix but its really slow. airplay from my phone and laptop would be big plus

currently at my gfs house we have a cable package with a dvr and use that to watch sports and add hbo when our shows come on like game of thrones. it would be interesting to see how 'a la carte' channels/apps will work

in canada we don't get hbo go, hulu, american netflix, etc without doing weird dsn work arounds. that was cute like 5 years ago but i have a feeling the apple tv apps might be lacking here ? i'll have to wait & see how their app store works internationally
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:40 am

christianrock wrote:My wife gets a pile of DVDs from our local library every week or so for the kids, and if we want to watch a movie, which doesn't happen very often, I'll just pay the dollar fiddy at the Redbox around the corner. Even if I thought pirating was ok (which I don't) I still wouldn't do it and spend the time and the bandwidth and the hard drive space just to save a dollar fiddy. No sir.

There's two sides to ripping. The first is archival copying and/or format shifting for personal purposes, like say ripping all of your old school DVDs and Blu-Rays to a video server or laptop or something so you could watch them more conveniently. Sure, streaming sites mitigates this somewhat, but not everything will make it over into new formats. Cloud businesses are always subject to change (the service itself, or the media on it, may one day go poof).

Personal archiving is legal in some countries (not the US for DVDs at the moment) and I could see justification for doing this.

The second of course is ripping to be all W4R3Z and torrenty, which definitely falls more towards the piracy / Not Cool angle.

(Although, once a work becomes obscure / out of print, I actually kind of approve of the ethics of Teh Pirates over The Collectible Market that tries to sell OOP DVDs for $200+ on Amazon. 99% of piracy is the standard shit that you can buy in the store though...)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:04 am

Is it just me, or has there been a complete lack of Interesting Movies lately? There's nothing I feel like shelling out money to see right now.

You suck, Hollywood. :mad:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.