Sweetwater GearFest

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Sweetwater GearFest

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:59 am

I can't imagine that even ear plugs would help much in front of a Wall O' Marshalls.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:35 am

Oh look, some noob jumping on my Gearfest report bandwagon.

:lol:
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:38 am

Apparently fake cabs are something metal people can get quite upset over. Who knew?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:41 pm

The illusion has been broken. :lol: A boring old PA system (where all the volume at a show actually comes from at a bigger venue) just isn't as metal-horn inducing as a stack of Marshalls, I guess.

Guitar amps / cabs are pretty directional in my experience, and there's more to metal / rock than guitar. (Drums, right? And spare a thought for the poor, unloved bass and key players. :cry: ) So an actual wall of Marshalls would rather suck in practice. When I played, the guitar at smaller venues wasn't always miced to the PA; there, if the stage was big enough, it was tough to hear the guitar sometimes. (Drums were never a problem, though.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:21 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Image

Apparently fake cabs are something metal people can get quite upset over. Who knew?

I did not know! I wonder how widespread this is?

For some reason, this tickles me. hehe
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:21 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I did not know! I wonder how widespread this is?

Pretty much any band which has more than a few amps and cabs on stage is "fake". It's for performance aesthetic which like it or not counts.

I think we should get some of these modular companies to build the equivalent for synth guys, a bunch of "modular synths" that are nothing more than blinking lights and jacks and pots. That way a performer could Look Serious and plug in some jacks and press some buttons and get the hipsters to go "wow, what an analog modular performance!" All while the backing track plays from the DAW in your hidden laptop. :jam:

Alternatively, synthesists could take the Rush approach and put washing machines or rotisserie chicken ovens behind you. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:28 pm

You're on to something, dude. I mean, a buncha dummy synths would look WAY cooler than a MacBook hooked to a midi controller.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Well there's kind of a bit of that already, but not with modulars...

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:53 pm

christianrock wrote:Image

OH STAHP. :facepalm:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:56 pm

I think they were also the first to get busted for the fake stacks.. it turned into a big poo poo party. :lol:

Funny though, aside from daft punk, the trend towards hipster techno has dwindled since then.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:59 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I think they were also the first to get busted for the fake stacks.. it turned into a big poo poo party. :lol:

People don't want to believe. :lol:

Yeah, I'd forgotten that some "DJs" and electronic acts (like the aforementioned Justice) have been "exposed" miming. However, DJs were miming and using pre-recorded sets even when I went to electronic music shows. Live electronic dance music is difficult to pull off. It works better with some styles (Berlin school, minimal) than others... It certainly would not result in as slick of a production (with all the time-coordinated light pyrotechnic crapola) that commercial techno is these days.

So I expect roughly zero live elements in one of those type of acts that headlines Electric Daisy Carnival or Ultra or the like.

(Though, if I were that sort of DJ, I would hook up say an Ableton controller to a MIDI to DMX converter for the purpose of controlling MOAR BLINKY LIGHTS. If you can't do much more than press play, you might as well have some fun with it.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:12 pm

yea you gotta do something... at least SOMETHING.. DJ some video etc. I will say The Orb did well for a solo techno guy. He had an arrangement of keyboards and an electronic drum on stange and he'd play something simple on each one.

What got me about these people were they DJs selling themselves as bands. I'm sure the high visibility / low entry for that kind of thing appeals to disaffected youth at some point in their lives, but I was a bit put off and of course, the whole faking it just made it worst :lol: Well you can see how long that retro, ghetto hipster dance party stuff lasted. I suppose at least until they all graduated college. :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Does anyone else find SW's service annoying?

I recently placed an eight dollar order, and a guy called me at work to confirm it. Now I can't take calls at work, and I barely get reception, unless I go find a place to sneak a call as in a family emergency or something.

But even more, I placed the bloody order and got an email confirmation seconds later. Why are they wasting my time by calling me? It was $8. They've done it on a $4 order too.

I don't wish to be rude, but I'd like to tell them to fuck off. I placed an online order so I wouldn't have to deal with them.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:28 pm

They have a nice comprehensive catalog which i enjoy viewing. But I just also got my "do you want to keep getting this catalog " email and phone call.

It's annoying. It must be busy work. I'd only do follow ups on institutions and big spenders. Either that or they have some management team cracking the whip to get pressure sales. I dunno..
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:57 pm

I don't take their calls, so they've stopped calling.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:23 am

I occasionally receive a message from a Sweetwater sales rep. I ignore it. I don't see the value add, I guess some people like to talk to pushy salespeople about buying stuff. :idk:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:57 am

I actually like my "sales engineer." His name is Stuart Niven, and he only occasionally calls me to see if I'm interested in any new products. He always calls a month after I do order something to make sure I'm satisfied and that the product is working as intended. He's a super nice guy, and never gets annoying. Plus there are precious few print mags I find a use for these days, and I always look forward to the SW catalog. :thu:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Hey PLINKO! Are you still on the board???

Sweetwater has a gig for you:

https://www.sweetwater.com/careers/opening/142
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:24 am

Thanks for the tip, but no thanks. I'm trying to work on my end game, employment-wise; just trying to stay on the relevant list a bit longer. If I was eligible for Med coverage, I'd retire this second, but that's a few years away yet.

Speaking of GEARFEST 2017, June 23 and 24, I plan to attend both days.

Whomsoever meets up with me shall have VIP ACCESS to the couch in my hotel room, if there is one.

And if Guitarboy doesn't beat you to it.

But he probably won't, since he'll carouse around somewhere till all hours.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:54 am

Dang! I'm currently not even free that weekend. I'll keep it in mind if that changes
ClavAnother

PreviousNext

Return to KSS