The Photography Thread

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:15 am

I'm off to see the Harlem Globetrotters with my family tonight.

This is my attempt at thread derailment of the year.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:27 pm

put two solid american C notes on the Generals for me! :thu:

CR, I always brag about your pictures. You should seriously sell these to travel brochure people.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Dang it CR. I was just getting over PHGAS symptoms & you goes and does it again.

:mad:

After that very shaky/blurry pic with Mr. Dave Smith, you probably should have PHGAS :poke: :grin:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:04 pm

MetroSonus wrote:put two solid american C notes on the Generals for me! :thu:

CR, I always brag about your pictures. You should seriously sell these to travel brochure people.

Aha, the truth is, at the Pentax forums, I'm not even noticed. There's just too many great photogs out there, so someone "good" isn't even on the map. And Pentax is like 1% of the market... one of the smallest players. But thanks for the kudos :smoke:

It's kind of the same with music, no? Someone with great talent at programming, playing and arranging - say SI or Clav - doesn't really have any ambitions of making it big, because there's so many other good musos out there...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:27 pm

This fits in the photography thread, but it's actually an article I just found, that goes against my previous post - regarding music, photography or whatever else in life, and tells me to just SHUT UP!!!! (yes CAPSLOCK!!!!!!).

http://www.diyphotography.net/15-statem ... rs-do-not/

This guy isn't just talking crap. He makes so much money, he donates 1 million dollars to charity every year. His job? He takes pictures of people.

I should just stop being so negative, fo sho...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:10 pm

christianrock wrote:This fits in the photography thread, but it's actually an article I just found, that goes against my previous post - regarding music, photography or whatever else in life, and tells me to just SHUT UP!!!! (yes CAPSLOCK!!!!!!).

The problem with these industries actually comes through with that post (complete with a Tony Robbins reference, hah!)... a lot of the top dollar art and photography really is nothing more than selling yourself to rich dudes. Basically if you are good at marketing and making rich people feel special, well, you are set. If you aren't, well... :facepalm:

(I was not impressed with his images on Teh Google, for my eyes I've seen *way* technically better stuff.)

So, if you want to make it in the photography business, learn how to hobnob with Teh Elitez. :lol: (Or other ways of drumming up the business)

No different than music... the highest income musicians these days are very marketing and image savvy. Many of them are probably not technically the *best* musicians (well, pop production is usually top grade, but pop composition these days is, er, not up to the songwriting highs you saw in other eras) but they sure know how to promote themselves.

The issue for all these careers is that the "middle income" stuff (eg, yer cover bands / jingle writers / etc. or wedding photographers / stock / magazine photographer), these careers are slowly eroding away. So it's not like before where you could support yourself with a lower gig while striving to improving your craft to get the top level.

I guess with music, the nice flip side is that it is very possible to build up a respectable band that still is sort of a hobby and has less of that "you must produce megahit" label bullshit that killed a lot of bands back in the day. I've played with some bands with some national name recognition, and I always got the impression one way or the other that most of them had other jobs, probably something seasonal that would allow them to embark on tours every now and then. (Though I remember reading something about one indie band where two of the members worked 9 to 5er type jobs (an intellectual property lawyer and a computer engineer I think), I wonder if that worked out.)

Band is a job-hobby is good in that bands have longer shelf lives these days, and if you are okay with the inevitable slight amateurism that comes with anything that's a hobby, you get some pretty good music out there. Just avoid mainstream radio and it's bullshit. It's not much different than most times, but Youtube is easier than trading tapes. :lol:

Not sure if there's an equivalent for photography...
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:45 pm

I think what I liked was, the positive outlook rather than the excuse-filled outlook. I've been making lots of excuses lately about why stuff doesn't work out, why my music never went anywhere, why my photography's never going anywhere, why I'm always just gonna do what I do now and hope it doesn't get worse, etc etc. That's what spoke to me.

Honestly, as far as photography, I'm not going to be as good as some guys out there. As a musician, same thing. Come to think of it, I'll probably never be as good a dad or a husband as some people I know. Yet I'd still like to be successful at what I decide to put my efforts on... and maintain a positive outlook on life.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:06 pm

My philosophy is pretty simple.. I like my job, I like my boss, I like my wife so I'm doing pretty good :lol: For everything else, if it isn't fun, I'm not doing it right.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:46 pm

MetroSonus wrote:My philosophy is pretty simple.. I like my job, I like my boss, I like my wife so I'm doing pretty good :lol: For everything else, if it isn't fun, I'm not doing it right.

A thousand times, this. :thu:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:29 pm

So this is my most popular photo so far. 6 likes on flickr (still less than my alligator :lol:) and like 9 likes on the Pentax forums - which is actually more impressive, I think I had never gotten more than 3 there.

ImageLeaf in the Water by ChristianRock, on Flickr

And a couple more recent pics..

ImageThe Broken Bench by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImageSunflower M 50 1.7 @1.7 by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImageDrops by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImageVine Red Flower at Jones Bridge by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Tiny grass flower polen stems:

ImageTiny Flower Stamens by ChristianRock, on Flickr
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:35 pm

LIKE :thu: Very nice, sir.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:38 pm

I THANK YOU I THANK YOU :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:33 pm

1. Take camera
2. Take potato
3. Take picture of potato
4. ???????????
5. ONE MILLION DOLLARS

<non-working link removed>

I will have to admit that I just have no idea about how to make money in this world, I would have never thought of selling a picture of a potato, but someone apparently thinks it's worth well over a million dollars. Somebody help me. :idk:

Edit: Apparently the examiner.com site went under? Anyway, a picture of a potato fetched over a million dollars. Here's another article about it. https://petapixel.com/2016/01/21/this-p ... r-1000000/
Last edited by christianrock on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:42 pm

um wat :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 pm

I still take my picture-taking walks during lunch time... and sometimes I stop on the way home or to work... since I haven't been able to play much music, it's at least some sort of creative outlet...

ImageInviting Patio by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImageThin DOF at 30mm by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImagePerfectly round by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImageBlueberries Closeup by ChristianRock, on Flickr

ImageGoing for the Good Stuff by ChristianRock, on Flickr

By the way, I'm liking the look of the older CCD sensors nowadays... this is the technology that DSLRs used until some 9-10 years ago when video wasn't a big thing yet. The camera sensor captures an analog picture just like film, and then it is read digitally. So it is almost like a mix of analog (film) and digital - the synth analogy would be a hybrid analog/digital I guess :lol:. The pictures above are all taken on a CCD sensor with my favorite lenses...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:01 pm

I need to get back into photogrpahy, but I've saved all of my old cameras for the same reason.. just the artefacts and other things.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:32 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I need to get back into photogrpahy, but I've saved all of my old cameras for the same reason.. just the artefacts and other things.

What old cameras? Film cameras or early digital?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:24 am

:wave:

I took this in my yard yesterday. Ive been meaning to take one of my kids Yoda figures and put him in there.

ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:55 pm

ClavAnother wrote::wave:

I took this in my yard yesterday. Ive been meaning to take one of my kids Yoda figures and put him in there.

We have a tree with a few holes like this in the house we just moved out of, but without the water. At least two of them are inhabited by birds.

On your tree, you could cut up some picture and say someone's living there.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:50 pm

christianrock wrote:On your tree, you could cut up some picture and say somebody lived there

a yes i remember the days of analog photoshop it def sounded better
gregwar

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.