New Gear Thread 10/14

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: New Gear Thread 10/14

Postby midinut » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:24 am

Got me a Darbuka a few years ago. I was watching Sting's "Brand New Day" DVD and his percussionist was playing one on Roxanne I believe. I said to myself ... self I said ... you gotta getcha one of those.

This year has been a berry good year for me gear-wise and software-wise. I got Arturia's V-Collection 3, Komplete 10 Ultimate, Cubase 7.5 upgrade, SampleTank 3, Ravenscroft, AAS Ultra Analog (already had Lounge LIzard EP-4), and upgraded to Toontacks EZ Drummer 2. On the iOS I picked up Module (with the Ivory and Wurly IAPs), Gadget, Cubasis, iProphet, iSEM, Korg PolySix, MS-20, iMini, Galileo, SampleTank (and all the add ons) plus a Arturia MiniLab, KeyStation 61 as controllers (already have M-Audio Keystation 88 and 49s). Also grabbed a Novation Launchpad Mini to try with Ableton and see if I can get some magic to happen. I am a lucky lucky man indeed!

I really don't need anything for Christmas, but wife has approved me buying the upgrade for V-Collection 4 from Arturia. Looking forward to adding the Matrix 12, Solina, and Vox Continental to my arsenal. May pick up a few iPad apps or IAPs as well as a couple of Sound Libraries from AAS. I'm considering upgrading Cubase 7.5 to 8 but straddling the fence on that. May go ahead and do it while it's priced at $100 before it goes up on me. Also still debating on upgrading from Komplete 9 Ultimate to 10 Regular or Ultimate.

Big news is I am taking a road trip to Savannah, Georgia tomorrow to pick up a Kronos 88. Found a guy over at KC that wanted to swap his 88 for my 61 plus some change and I'm jumping on that. Still trying to sell my Korg M3-73 to help fund a MOXF6 to use with my laptop rig for a lightweight upper tier backup in case the laptop dies. I am truly blessed!

And even bigger news - I passed all the credits I need to graduate with my Associate of Arts Degree! In January, I've been accepted at the University of North Carolina to start on my Bachelor in Communication Studies (Emphasis on Corporate Communications). So, two more years and I'll be done, unless I can get into a Masters Program. I think I may take the summer off in 2015 and give my brain a break and work on finishing up two more CDs that I've been putting off for a couple of years now.

So now you're caught up on my gear (past, present, and future) I shall return you to your regularly scheduled program ...

Merry Christmas Everyone!
midinut

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:53 am

hey, congrats on the Kronos and the scholarly progress! :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby midinut » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:16 am

Thanks EP. How's yours coming along?
midinut

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:14 am

I'm on the tail end of a 4-month school break, my schedule starts again in February. I have about 17 or classes ahead of me still. Le sigh.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:32 pm

suh-weet! :thu:

kudos to all you macadamias. ;wave:

Picked up a serial for Matrix 12 - v from a promotional dude that sends me press releases to review it. So I shall be digging into it over the break! I dunno what im going to buy. :idk: I'm going to pick up some libraries and CDs for sure.

I don't like the presets in serum too much. They all sound very metallic and I can't stand that personally. It's either plate verb or pitched percussion samples. Otherwise, it's an excellent synth and much like alchemy, once you start getting your own waves into it, it's a lot of fun.

I still hanker for a XV 5050, Gaia, FA08 though. Something bout them romplers I love. :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:06 am

NGD, I am happy to introduce you all to my new guitar: Flip The Bird

(don't worry, I'm still synthing everyday)

ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:18 pm

The guitar, it taunts me. The logo provokes.

To say nothing of the f holes...

:mad:
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:08 pm

LOLWAT?

ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:33 pm

How do you like it compared to your PRS?

I've tried to like PRS guitars but never really quite got the hang of them. I mostly play a Frankenstrat these days, its neck isn't very comfortable but it gets me the sounds I want every time. With regards to PRS, I've owned a McCarthy model in the past and I've played several different models. I think the one I liked the best was the CE22, one of the cheaper models...

I have a semi-hollow guitar that I love, it's a Palmer ES335 copy made by Samick in Korea. It's got Seymour Duncan 59 pickups (set) and DiMarzio electronics. I haven't found a Gibson I've liked better, it's like an old hand and it's probably my 2nd most used guitar after my Strat. The Strat is more versatile, that's about it. I can do much faster leads with the ES335, believe it or not. I had a guy refret it and reset the neck back in the early 2000s and it's been a killer guitar ever since.

I'll take a pic of it when I get home...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:09 pm

It's pretty cool, but the PRS is just in another class; there's this amazing way that the PRS almost plays itself. Like when you wrap your left hand around the neck it just becomes so easy and natural to play anything. It's sort of effortless.

The one thing that ever actually bothered me about the PRS is that it's not 24 frets. That may not seem like a big deal to some, but I use them...it's sort of like how I'm still pissed that nord didn't use a low E on the electro (digression, I'm much closer to adding the low E to the electro, I only need to fabricate the upstop/downstop piece :jam: )

So where was I? The langue-knock is cool, it plays well, but I need to do some upgrades. I have new tuners, but I haven't installed them yet because i need to drill holes for the little screws that keep them straight - maybe I'll do that today. Also I plan to get a set of Duncan 59s when I can swing the cash. At that time I'll replace all the wiring, switches, pots and jack with switchcraft and the like.

For $600 it's a pretty good deal, then again after the upgrades it's closer to a grand.

Also, there are occasions where I think I'd rather not bring a $3000 guitar out and now I can use this thing instead. I still haven't found a case that fits it though.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:32 pm

ClavAnother wrote:The one thing that ever actually bothered me about the PRS is that it's not 24 frets.

I actually look for the 22. Yes I do use that high E but I just bend the 22nd. But the placement of the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar, to me, is just PERFECT. That is why I kept the only 7-String Ibanez made that only has 22 frets and got rid of the other two that I had, that had 24 frets. Well, that and the fact that it has a mahogany body and a heftier neck...

Looks exactly like this:

Also I plan to get a set of Duncan 59s

Yup, I got that in my ES335 copy (Palmer) and they really sing. They have this darker sound compared to other pickups that really fits, while at the same time maintaining clarity.

The Palmer also used to fit in that "I don't wanna bring an expensive guitar" category. But now that I sold all my guitars that are worth anything, they all fit in that category :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:39 pm

you know were in 3/15? :lol:

Anyway.. demoed sunrizer for mac. it kicks ass. wow.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:49 pm

MetroSonus wrote:you know were in 3/15? :lol:

Anyway.. demoed sunrizer for mac. it kicks ass. wow.

Dude. I've been trying to tell you guys for a couple of years now that the iOS version is KICK. ASS. (I notice the front page ((there's a front page?!) has an article/demo). If it's anything like the iOS version, then yes, it's awesome.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:14 pm

I have the iOS version.. Where you been ? :lol:

Its the same thing as far as I can tell.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:48 am

MetroSonus wrote:I have the iOS version.. Where you been ? :lol:

I didn't know. :facepalm:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:42 pm

You didn't know? C'mon man, EVERYBODY KNOWS. GET WITH THE PROGRAM YO SHEESH WHATEVER
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:02 pm

I am a horrible excuse for a human being.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:07 pm

There, there.

There, there.

(pfff you are not sheesh :grin: )
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:39 pm

Its very lush sounding. Similar to uhe's hive.. But they both have vastly different sounds.

Messed around with serum too today. Sounds very muck like absynth.
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:37 pm

:cool:

STG says it looks like Darth Vader.

ClavAnother

PreviousNext

Return to KSS